San Juan

themutis

On the Solstic Jan 9th sailing and arrive in San Juan at 2pm and leave at 10pm - any suggestions on what we should do?

There are only 2 excursions offered, and we're not really interested in either.

I've looked at the San Juan Port of Call thread, but it hasn't been much help.

Hoping someone her can provide some suggestions

On the Solstic Jan 9th sailing and arrive in San Juan at 2pm and leave at 10pm - any suggestions on what we should do?

If the dock in old San Juan, you can simple go and walk around the Old San Juan area. There is plenty of information on the Port of Call thread as to what to do. I am surprise that you did not find anything usefull.

What is it that you are looking for?

what is it about the two offerings that doesn't interest you? Maybe that will help. without knowing what you like to do it's hard to make recommendations.

I like going to art galleries and local cuisine food shopping, but if that isn't your thing, you wouldn't be interested in my suggestions.

Hi,

Old San Juan is beautiful, and it's very easy to walk around.

Go up the hill and visit a World Heritage Site fortress from Spanish Colonial days. We found it very interesting.

Here's an album of photos from our stop in San Juan while sailing aboard Solstice:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570226582EHdvtK

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

CM

On our first cruise to San Juan we did the walking tour through Celebrity - very enjoyable and informative. another time we made our own way to the Barcardi factory and took the tour there - you can probably find information on the Port boards.

We took Segway tour to the Old Fort. Very delightful guide and lots of fun. We had a very

heavy rainstorm hit San Juan as we got to the Fort which limited the tour of the Fort.

Get a cab to take you to the Fort if you are not interested in Segways.

I found lots of info on the San Juan Ports of Call Board.

Thanks to everyone for their positive suggestions. We'll try to make our way to the Bacardi Factory and wander around old san juan.

We're from NJ and on our winter vacation we typically like to find a beach or sail while in port - but with the timing (2pm-10pm) we were at a lost.

So thanks again to everyone

We have sailed from SJU several times and did a one day port of call stop as well. We very much took a liking to Old San Juan. It is definately a walking city. If you enjoy good food and browsing in shops, you should be able to make an entire day of it. If your itinerary calls for departing at 11:00pm or so, take advantage of the view of the city after night while sipping on your favorite bevs. We have to use some free Hilton HHonor hotel night certificates I have accumulated anywhere we wish, so we are planning a 4 day trip to San Juan, just to relax and have some fun. What kind of non-walking excursion are you interested in, we maybe able to assit with ideas.......

Our cruise begins in Florida - San Juan is one of our ports during the cruise - and we have quite a few days at sea so we were hoping to get off the ship for awhile

:o I didn't pick up on that-- we sail from San Juan, ship leaves late (though 8:30pm, not 10pm)-- I guess I'm just in the mode of "what to do until it's time to leave". Well, just staying aboard could still be an attractive option-- with most everyone else off the ship, it'll be much quieter.

We are on the 11/14 sailing on the Solstice and there are only two excursions listed for San Juan - a walking tour of Old San Juan and a Segway tour (including time spent in the fort). Not much to choose from!!

Does anyone know if the Solstice docks in Old San Juan, or is it at the other pier? That would make a big difference as far as walking around.

On our last Celebrity cruise out of SJU, we departed from the Pan American Pier which is not exactly downtown, but a short ($15?) cab ride away. If your ship does dock downtown, it will be on the bayfront across the street from the Sheraton Hotel. Very convenient walk to all the shops and restaurants. Not that far from the two forts either.

In our experience every time we have sailed out of San Juan we have done so at the Pan American cruise port. Every time we have been to San Juan as a port of call we have docked downtown in front of the Sheraton Hotel. On our Solstice cruise, since we have gone to San Juan many times, we walked all around Old San Juan, did some shopping, went back to the ship to relax and later went back to Old San Juan for a wonderful dinner. Later we sat at the Sunset Bar and enjoyed the view as the ship left San Juan.

Definitely go to Bonbonerra Bakery for a snack (easy walk from the pier) greatest cuban bread and pastries, even lunch. The espresso machine is from Cuba and is a site to behold. This is a place all the locals also frequent. " The Butterfly People" is a great store just to look around at the butterfly art. The fort and cemetery are definitely worth the walk. There is an admission to the fort.

When the ship is sailing from San Juan for a "Southern Caribbean"

itinerary she leaves from the "Pan American Pier". When the ship stops

there for a "port day" they dock in "Old San Juan"...that is how it

has been in previous years.

I am sure someone who has sailed Solstice recently will correct me

if I am wrong.

Old San Juan is lovely....even if you just want to get off the ship and

walk around...its quite easy.

Check the tourist info for what is happening the day you are in San Juan. I did and found that one of the most festive parades and street fairs occurs on the day my cruise returns to San Juan (Jan. 14,2011). The Pan American Pier is 3 miles from the pier across from the Sheraton Hotel which is in the heart of Old San Juan.

Go to Fodors.com. They have a walking tour of San Juan which starts at the information center right across from the downtown pier. Tour takes you along the old wall up to the Fort and then back downtown. Make sure you stop at the bakery for coffee and pastries. We spent almost two hours at the fort alone so the tour took us about 4 hours.

• 4 weeks later...
When the ship is sailing from San Juan for a "Southern Caribbean"

itinerary she leaves from the "Pan American Pier". When the ship stops

there for a "port day" they dock in "Old San Juan"...that is how it

has been in previous years.

I am sure someone who has sailed Solstice recently will correct me

if I am wrong.

Old San Juan is lovely....even if you just want to get off the ship and

walk around...its quite easy.

It has been this way when I have been in San Juan. I guess it is possible that there could be too many ships in one day and they would have to send a ship to the Pan American Pier

Archived