Help me find lost city of marigot!

geocruiser

HELP!,

Last March we were on Azamara Journey and went to St Maarten, city of Marigot. We had to tender in to port. My BIG question is: Where is the city of Marigot located from the point where we wee let off the tenders? I only saw a few small stores by the water. There was a street that looked liked there was not much on it. Was I there and missed the city? I would like to know because we are going again on Journey and this time would like to see the town.

Maria

Hi,

I knew that we were tender in on the French and the French port was Marigot. But I did not see a town by the dock where they let up off.

Where is the town from where the tenders come in?

Thanks,

Maria

Hi,

I knew that we were tender in on the French and the French port was Marigot. But I did not see a town by the dock where they let up off.

Where is the town from where the tenders come in?

Thanks,

Maria

It's not very big

Here's a map link: http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Maps/stmaarten_Maps.html

And this tripadvisor site has pictures of both the town and pier and the yacht harbour/marina. As you'll see both have different perspectives of the town.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=25779827

It's not very big

Here's a map link: http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Maps/stmaarten_Maps.html

And this tripadvisor site has pictures of both the town and pier and the yacht harbour/marina. As you'll see both have different perspectives of the town.

Thank you. I guess what I am trying to get at is where Azamara brought us in with the tender there was not very much there. I didn't see any sort of town. May be I didn't walk far enought to see it. Or could it be it is very small and what I saw was it?

Than-you for the maps. They are different than the ones I had,

Maria

It's not very big

You said it was not very big. but are there stores and places to eat close to the dock?

Maria

this required two threads?? Have you ever heard of a map?

The reason for TWO threads is this. I posted this thread on AZAMARA board because we went there on Azamara cruise line and went in by their tender. Therefore I didn't know if Azamara dropped us off at a different dock than the main one in Marigot. Because where they dropped us off really had but a few small stores.

THIS THREAD WAS MOVED TO THIS BOARD. i DID NOT START BOTH THREADS ON THIS BOARD.

And yes I have heard of a map, And I also try to be not to be nasty on these boards.

Maria

HELP!,

Last March we were on Azamara Journey and went to St Maarten, city of Marigot. We had to tender in to port. My BIG question is: Where is the city of Marigot located from the point where we wee let off the tenders? I only saw a few small stores by the water. There was a street that looked liked there was not much on it. Was I there and missed the city? I would like to know because we are going again on Journey and this time would like to see the town.

Maria

According to Frommers, boats tender into Port la Royale. Google gives this link to a panoramic view - is this where you arrived? There is also a google map on this link which will show you the marina, harbor and town so perhaps it will help you visualize? I have not been here yet but was researching for my trip to St Martin and came across this link. HTH.

http://www.360cities.net/image/marina-port-la-royale-saint-martin#-642.06,-37.02,109.6

Thanks. I checked out the link. It does not look the same. May be I am lost my mind. What I recall is a building that had about 8 very small stores in it and a very small food store next store. This was right on the water. Across the street from this there was a clothing shop. But not much there.

I tried posting this on Azamara board in hopes tht some one else who was on our cruise could answer my question, but they moved the thread to here. so now I have two of the same threads on one board.

Thanks for your help.

Maria

Marigot has many restaurants, shops, bars, liquor and wine stores, pizza places and all are walking distance from Port Royale when you tender. Just walk a few blocks and you'll find anything you might want. One of the best port cities in the Caribbean. Great French restaurants.

Are you certain you were at St Martin? Not trying to be insulting here, but a couple of months back I read a thread about a person that has Margot in St Martin confused with a city from another island.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marigot

Hi,

I am happy to answer your question. Yes I know for sure we were there. We were on Azamara cruise line, and we went in by tender. Not much there by the dock. I didn't go away from the dock because I didn't see any signs of a town. At first I had posted this question on the Azamara board in hopes that some one else who was on our cruise might answer it. But the thread was moved here. Who knows maybe it was just down the street, but I didn't go.

Thanks,

Maria

tinybabynurse,

Maybe I was looking for a larger town like on the Dutch side? Ok, Ok I just found a picture of the market place (French). A few stores. Now I know I needed to walk a little more to see the town. In March I am going to walk and walk till I see it!

Thanks for your help.

Maria

Back over on the Azamara board, someone posted that they tendered into Gare Maritime in Marigot.

That's at the center of Marigot's waterfront. It's right where the white boat in this shot is tied up.

th_DSCN2904.jpg

(click)

That's the West Indies Mall in the background, Fort St. Louis above, and the entire Marigot Marketplace is to the right and behind this shot.

A reverse view from Fort St. Louis of the same area.

th_DSCN5553.jpg

Someone here quoted Frommer's as saying that they tender into Port la Royale, but that wouldn't happen because they'd have to negotiate the drawbridge.

gary

Back over on the Azamara board, someone posted that they tendered into Gare Maritime in Marigot.

That's at the center of Marigot's waterfront. It's right where the white boat in this shot is tied up.

th_DSCN2904.jpg

(click)

That's the West Indies Mall in the background, Fort St. Louis above, and the entire Marigot Marketplace is to the right and behind this shot.

A reverse view from Fort St. Louis of the same area.

th_DSCN5553.jpg

Someone here quoted Frommer's as saying that they tender into Port la Royale, but that wouldn't happen because they'd have to negotiate the drawbridge.

gary

Thanks, I don't remember all of that. We took our cruise 3/8/10. I don't remember a big mall. I wonder if we were tender in to the same dock. I will know when we go back on our 2/17/11 cruise.

I clicked on your picture to make it larger. I think I just went by the dock and to some stands. How could I not look beyound my nose!

Thanks for the pictures and help,

Maria

m steve,

You gave me a laugh. In March when we are there I am going to take a tour. I really think now that I just did not walk away from the dock far enought to see the town. I think I was looking for a larger town (like in St Thomas). I thought that the market and a few store there was it. BUT I will find my LOST CITY this March.

Maria

I know what you mean...

I was expecting a downtown skyline like this...

DSC_1769.jpg

but all I got was lousy this.

MarigotMall-324.jpg

What a bummer, huh?

Next time I'll try Google Earth first, to check the place out

before I bother to tender ashore. :cool:

I know what you mean...

I was expecting a downtown skyline like this...

DSC_1769.jpg

but all I got was lousy this.

MarigotMall-324.jpg

What a bummer, huh?

Next time I'll try Google Earth first, to check the place out

before I bother to tender ashore. :cool:

The first picture NYC Harbor? Looks Like the SI ferry.

Is the second picture Marigot?

Maria

I read your thread and I was offended by the "get a map" comment.

You shouldn't have to put up with rude answers.I'm thinking you didn't go all the way into Marigot. At the very least you should have seen a very large

open market where there are some very good buys on spices, linens, as well

as the normal tshirts, hats etc. There also were several coffee shops, restaurants,and stores. It's not a city , per se, but there was enough there

to kill some time.

One thing I have noticed on this site is an occasional person who has sailed

a few times and has an air of entitlement. Don't give it a second thought.

Enjoy your cruise, enjoy Marigot, and bring home some delicious spices by the scoop, and vanilla by the bottle, along with the obligatory silly Caribbean shirt.

Archived