Sea Dream vs. Silverseas

iticlaudia

Not trying to sound flip here but trying to compare these two choices is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Ferrari. Both expensive, both high quality, both do what they do well but as different as you can get. Silverseas is waaay more formal. Not to mention around 6 times more passengers. :eek: It really depends on what your expectations are.

J.

Also, average age is higher (perhaps significantly higher) on Silversea. Silversea has ship sizes ranging from 300 passengers and up. Staterooms and bathrooms on Silversea are substantially larger than on SD and there are more entertainment options on Silversea than on SD. Silversea has walk in closets and balconies. Jim is absolutely correct about the dress code differences betwee the two as well.

I would guess that once you do some more homework and learn more the differences between the two the decision will be an easy one for you as your preferences will dictate your decision.

then compare prices and itinerary,,,,Just my opinion,,but I took my first,,,and sadly,,,last SeaDream last month...must say the service and food were outstanding,,,the big BUT is the cabin,,,really missed a balcony or window,,,and bathrooms TOO small ....knew ahead about above and didnt think it would bother me,,,but DID,,,have now booked another cruise with Seabourn,,,hope this is a better fit...;)

If a standard, but very high quality cruise is what you are looking for, SS would be good. But if below is what you are looking for, then SD can't be beat (note that there are only 16 loungers on the pool deck, and they are never all used. Plus note the "bali beds" up near the stack). This is my favorite pic of SD (it's on their webpage) (edit - I agree aboout the cabins, pretty small. But you won't be in them much):

7_arial_beds_hires.jpg

SD has nice size (not large) cabins, small bathrooms and small closets. Food is great and the dress code is relaxed. SD has a marina, water toys and Bali beds. SD also stays overnight or very late in some ports.

Silversea has much larger, and IMO nicer cabins than SD. Silversea bathrooms are huge with shower/tub combos in all cabins. The food is great and the dress code is pretty formal. Age range is slightly older, and Silversea has no marina or water toys.

I've sailed on both ships in the Carribean and I much preferred SD for the outstanding service and casual atmosphere. IF I were traveling to Northen Europe, or another destination where I would be spending a lot of time in my cabin, and I wanted to dress up, I might go with Silversea. The service and food were of similar high quality on both ships and I personally didn’t find that 300 (Silversea) passengers vs 100 (SD) passengers was that big of a deal.

If you haven't already done so, for a balanced view, be sure and post your inquiry on the SS thread as well. These are both great products. The real variable is you and what you want and expect from your cruise.

If you haven't already done so, for a balanced view, be sure and post your inquiry on the SS thread as well.

Certainly a good idea to post on Silversea board too. However, I thought that the responses on this board were surprisingly balanced.

I agree. And the OP has posted on SS as well.

And the analysis on the SS board is also fairly unbiased although I would take issue with the reference to SD as "boring". I note that at least one poster on the SS board made the same point.

This really is a situation where somebody who knows what they want in a luxury cruise shouldn't have much difficulty choosing between these two options as there are many differences.

Much easier to choose between SD and SS than it is between SS and SB. Totally different products although both are great in their unique and distinct ways.

I agree although the new SB dress code should make the SS vs. SB decision slightly easier.

Thank you for all the info and advice!!! We booked and paid for our Silversea cruise today on the Spirit Barcelona-Lisbon. We have decided that we will try out Sea Dreams on a Caribbean trip.

You're welcome!

Nobody does the Caribbean better than SD:cool:

Archived