What exactly is the smoking policy???

I fear you are in the minority, not the majority. It will be interesting as the 10-30-10 Odyssey cruise is our first SB cruise. Cigarettes on the balcony, although we don't like it,we can live with. A cigar on the balcony will be tough to take. Since a cigar on the balcony is allowing, it;s not like I can ask them to put the cigar out.

It is amazing to me, in this day and age, that so many people not only continue to risk their own health, but also choose to endanger the health of people around them. To me,smoking anything around non-smokers is like drinking and driving. If you choose to drink and drive, you are alone in the car and you are on a road with no other cars or people, then (not legally) you go risk your life. People who smoke around non-smokers are having the same effect as drunk drivers.

I have always had the courtesy to specifically ask those on adjacent balconies b4 lighting a cigar. If they have any problem with it I do not light up and do not get upset. I would go up on deck to the areas set aside for smoking. My life does not revolve around cigars---if you are in the cabin next to me and have a problem with a cigar I would hope we could still have a pleasant conversation and enjoy a drink if that is appropriate.

-Barry

I fear you are in the minority, not the majority. It will be interesting as the 10-30-10 Odyssey cruise is our first SB cruise. Cigarettes on the balcony, although we don't like it,we can live with. A cigar on the balcony will be tough to take. Since a cigar on the balcony is allowing, it;s not like I can ask them to put the cigar out.

It is amazing to me, in this day and age, that so many people not only continue to risk their own health, but also choose to endanger the health of people around them. To me,smoking anything around non-smokers is like drinking and driving. If you choose to drink and drive, you are alone in the car and you are on a road with no other cars or people, then (not legally) you go risk your life. People who smoke around non-smokers are having the same effect as drunk drivers.

I have always had the courtesy to specifically ask those on adjacent balconies b4 lighting a cigar. If they have any problem with it I do not light up and do not get upset. I would go up on deck to the areas set aside for smoking. My life does not revolve around cigars---if you are in the cabin next to me and have a problem with a cigar I would hope we could still have a pleasant conversation and enjoy a drink if that is appropriate.

-Barry

So far we have been lucky. People have been polite, tried to stay downwind and what smoke we have smelled has been faint and far between (of course that has been on the triplets) AND people have overall been considerate. By the way, do you have your referral coupon since it is your first cruise on SB? Hope you enjoy it. Have a great trip!

Thanks Nancy,

I did get my coupon from somebody on this forum. We are excited about our first SB cruise and I don't think the smoking policy will adversely affect our cruise.

Aloha,

Al

So far we have been lucky. People have been polite, tried to stay downwind and what smoke we have smelled has been faint and far between (of course that has been on the triplets) AND people have overall been considerate. By the way, do you have your referral coupon since it is your first cruise on SB? Hope you enjoy it. Have a great trip!

Markham,

If I did smell smoke in my cabin you can be sure I would have them do something about it and I wouldn't be shy about the way I asked (or rather demanded) that they make it right. However, this has never happened to me so far. I understand completely that your situation was annoying.

Barry,

If you come with us in the car on St. Barts, then not only can you have a good Scotch, but you can also smoke your cigar!!! My wife loves the smell of cigars. Would have to keep the window open as it is only a small car.

anyhow we can enjoy a Macallan and a cigar at the Sky bar.

Neil

I never have smoked in a car---and would not start now---If you like a cigar Neil---i will have one for you (or your wife)---can enjoy on the beach perhaps?--or in some assigned corner on the ship--or not at all.

This topic is getting out of hand in my estimation in spite of my comments earlier. I think everyone should count to 10 and relax---life is good--LOL.

And I hope everyone can be considerate of each other whether it is smoking, drinking, talking too loud and/or with a lot of profanity.

-Barry

This topic is getting out of hand in my estimation in spite of my comments earlier. I think everyone should count to 10 and relax---life is good--LOL.

And I hope everyone can be considerate of each other whether it is smoking, drinking, talking too loud and/or with a lot of profanity.

-Barry

Smoking threads always turn out a bit volitile. This one is no different.

Host Dan :)

Smoking threads always turn out a bit volitile. This one is no different.

Host Dan :)

It certainly seems that way Dan. I am finished with being involved any further.

All I know for sure is that we are 103 days (if my math is correct) from sailing.

Woo-Hoo

Happy cruising to everyone on board this voyage.

-Barry

>"t the rail of his "french balcony " to the point that i could not open my balcony [ and i was f'ward of him ! ].....the purser told me cigars were not permitted in the cabin [ to include at the rail of the "french balcony " ]but .sorry, she could not do anything."

Next time, if there is one, go straight to the power, the Hotel Manager.

after much "heated",pardon the pun, debate...found this doing Forum search,,,will really help me,and others Im sure in future to help determine which lines best for them...

Enjoyed all the input,,,some really gave me a chuckle....

www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfmID=225

PS..have decided to take my chances on the SB May cruise and hope cruise turns out fine,,besides this point,,,everything else sounds fantastic...but have booked a Regent cruise for Nov. ...:)

I believe that since smoking was stopped in The Club, now the smokers are using the Observation Lounge...anyone know if this is correct? I know one side of the Observation Lounges are set aside for smokers, but the smoke doesnt really know its supposed to stay on ONE side of the room......this is one of our favourite areas on the ships but gets too smelly to be able to spend much time there now.....On our last cruise, we were docked "somewhere"....and a young fellow kept coming into the Observation lounge, and lighting up....we couldnt understand WHY he would come from the Sky Bar or outdoor area, into the lounge to smoke??.....Then we looked out the window........the fuel tanker was tied up to us....guess that was a pretty good reason!

We have never smelt smoke in our suites, but have quite often in the hallways......~some~ considerate smokers leave their doors open, maybe to get rid of the smoke?

Yes, smoking was permitted on the starboard side of the Observation Lounge on the Sojourn. As a previous poster noted, the smoke doesn't know it should stay on that side. I ventured only once into the Observation Lounge as I found the stale smoke odour quite objectionable. I know that the smoking lobby will be totally against me but I wish that smoking outside staterooms be confined to open deck areas, such as the rear starboard side of Colonnades..

I recently tried to open a new discussion about smoking on Silversea, but was removed!!

Noting that in the brochure it says 'refrain from smoking in all dining venues (inside and outside) I am not sure how this can apply on the small ships - whenever we have been on board people somoked at the Sky Bar, on both sides, including when lunch was being served. I don't know about dinner, as we stayed away assuming the same would happen. Not a problem on the bigger ships, as no smoking is allowed on the pool/patio grill/patio bar area, and eating there on a warm evening was delightful.

We are going on one of the small ships fairly soon, and I will definitely ask what the position is. I have had to move from a comfortable spot near the sky bar when someone smoked upwind of me and I could not stand it. But he was within his rights!

Does someone know the rules? I do hope that Seabourn reads all these comments, eventually I feel sure they will ban smoking altogether.

While I don't know what the latest rules about smoking are on Seabourn I also don't know if its officers and staff are confident and supported by management sufficiently to enforce the rules. Of course, I cannot imagine how past passengers will interpret the rules as some people like to question if rules for others apply at all to them in our age of "the rights of the individual". (I just put this attitude down to bad manners.)

In the hospitality industry I have seen management take the approach that a new ban on smoking is justified in the interests of protecting the staff who are exposed to second hand smoke from health problems and the possibility of lawsuits. This is somewhat clever as it sidesteps whatever "rights" and privileges smokers would insist that they have.

Like you, Lincslady, I am sure that Seabourn management will come to the same conclusion that you did. It's just a matter of time before this question reaches its logical conclusion. There is plenty of sound basis for a smoking ban. It's reasonable and in the best interests of the vast majority of passengers and all the crew.

To your health!

This, I am afraid also applies to dress code and noise/behaviour issues around any line that you might travel with.

Well, here is something to really worry about. There is a site, Events at Sea 2010, which reports on all the things that go on that cruise lines don't want publicized, like the death of a passenger, the outbreak of a disease, a collision, etc. One such was a "disturbance" at 3:00 a.m on a well known (and very large) liner in which an original oil painting valued at $10,000 was ruined by blood spatter --YES, THAT'S RIGHT-- and several flat screen televisions were destroyed. Security was called, were badly outnumbered by the brawlers, and members of the crew had to be summoned. The next morning saw no fewer than ten passengers expelled. They could be seen bandaged, their luggage beside them, sitting glumly on the dockside. How many others participated in the melee is not clear, but certainly more than ten. Several of the combatants were ladies--or at least women--one of whom used a high-heeled sandal--presumably not a Jimmy Choo--as a weapon. One the one hand, this provides yet another example of why sailing on the SS Behemoth can be fraught with peril. But also, perhaps, makes our little flareups over appropriate dress for the evening in the mdr seem a tad, ah, anemic.

If you find your wife or traveling companion sharpening the heels of her Manolo's, you might assume there is a punch up in your future.

Does SB management read this board? I would note that the CEO of Oceania, Frank Del Rio, regularly reads and occassionally responds to comments and questions on O's board. It is his and management's way of keeping up with what's on their passenger's minds- the good & the bad. I wonder what SB management would say about this discussion?

I would note that the CEO of Oceania, Frank Del Rio, regularly reads and occassionally responds to comments and questions on O's board.

Yes we are aware of what Frank is up to as he posts on occasion.

He must have too much time on his hands.:)

He does run a good operation,but not in the same league as Seabourn.

one of whom used a high-heeled sandal--presumably not a Jimmy Choo--as a weapon.

I'm not so sure. I think it was last year or perhaps the year before that they came out with the metal stilettos -- the shoe wasn't metal, just the heel. And no sharpening needed. The way they sink into the ground at a garden wedding tells me that I could do some serious damage!

Wow. Not the ship I want to be on.

Yes we are aware of what Frank is up to as he posts on occasion.

He must have too much time on his hands.:)

He does run a good operation,but not in the same league as Seabourn.

My point is not to compare products, but to note that one CEO actively listens and participates on the CC boards.

Archived