Grand Cayman-Tenders

robgvic

Is there any truth to problems with long lines getting back tothe ship in Grand Cayman. I heard that they have a limited pier for the launches and know there are over 10 000 pax in that day.

Yes it is true and has been a problem for a LONG time.....

Barry

Been there 3 times and have never had to wait more then 5 minutes to get on a tender.

We have been there nine times over many years, and at 6 of the 9 had noticeable waits. In the worst year there were nine ships at anchor by noon and the streets in town were so crowded that you couldn't stay on the sidewalk due to throngs of passengers. We waited well over 1.5 hours to get a tender back that day. Its all dependent on the number of ships in port on a given cruise. We have been there when there were only 4 or 5 and the waits were OK. Bit of a crap shoot.

Barry

Is there any truth to problems with long lines getting back tothe ship in Grand Cayman. I heard that they have a limited pier for the launches and know there are over 10 000 pax in that day.

Yes...very true. There can often be many ships in port at one time, all tendering, and the tendering area on GC is comparatively small and VERY crowded. And confusing! LONG lines! I've posted about this before.

I have seen both long waits and no waits at all. I think it depends on timing more than anything. If all ships want you back on the ship by say 3:30pm, then if you wait until 3:15pm to get in line, it will be a long wait. If you shop and decide to get back on the ship at 1:30, likely no wait at all.

Mike

We have been there nine times over many years, and at 6 of the 9 had noticeable waits. In the worst year there were nine ships at anchor by noon and the streets in town were so crowded that you couldn't stay on the sidewalk due to throngs of passengers. We waited well over 1.5 hours to get a tender back that day. Its all dependent on the number of ships in port on a given cruise. We have been there when there were only 4 or 5 and the waits were OK. Bit of a crap shoot.

Barry

Two of the three times there were 9 ships in port. Tons of people, and yet I still didnt have to wait. Heard stories because of the lines of traffic to get to the pier that people were leaving mopeds and bikes they had rented on the side of the road. People getting out of taxis and running to make the last tender.

My advise, dont wait for the last or even the last two tenders. Get back to the ship and enjoy some quiet while everyone else is in line waiting.

Yes, Grand Cayman is crowded! But, there aren't 10,000 people waiting for the same tender. Don't worry. Keep in mind that the last several tenders have the longest lines.

Of the 4 times we have been there, we had a large line up only once. The tenders run continuously and they are generally efficient, BUT when alot of people are wanting to go or return at the same time, line ups will definitely occur. If you can come and go at off-peak times you probably won't notice much of a wait or line.

This has long been a problem that Grand Cayman has failed to address. The cruiselines are willing to pay for the dredging and creation of a dock but local residents have blocked that. Now, RCCL is moving ships elsewhere because the tendering is such a problem. There's no way the new RCCL ships can go there. Even the new Princess ships on order might not be able to tender there. Economics and loss of substantial income might prompt GC to do what it's refused do to date.

Line up sometimes depends on the ship. The more passengers, the longer the wait. We were on a ship under 2,000 passengers - walked down the dock and onto the tender. The RCCL ship that was in had a line up down the street.

Archived