Waikiki Hotels - Where Have You Stayed?

GypRasc

Well, I'm now trying to get a feeling for which hotels we would be interested in staying in. We would like to get opinions from others on where you stayed, whether you would go back to them again, and whether you felt it was worth the price.

We will only need a room for 2 nights and will probably be spending very little time in our room. We are budget conscious but, we not only do not want to stay in a dump we would like to make our stay in Waikiki feel like we're on a really nice vacation, hence something nice but not too pricey. I would also like something within a few blocks of the beach.

Not asking for much am I? lol Anyway, I would love to hear of your experiences and welcome all comments. The more properties I can get a feel for from previous guests the better to make an educated decision.

Thanks all!

I've stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach and the Embassy Suites Waikiki.

The Marriott is near Diamond Head and the zoo. It is across the street from the beach. It is within easy walking distance of Dukes, Dukes statue, the Hula Grill and the International Marketplace.

Embassy Suites is more toward the center of Waikiki. It is 2 blocks off the beach. It has a great made-to-order breakfast every morning and manager's reception with drinks and snacks in the evening. The view of the city lights from our balcony was breath-taking! It is near a lot of shopping and the Army museum (closed on Saturday, unfortunately).

As for location, I preferred the Marriott. Pricewise, the Embassy Suites was great. I got it with Hilton points and the included breakfast saved us some money!!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Beachwalk Waikiki but with points. We would, however, consider this hotel without points.

The beach is a across the street and a short walk along side the hotel on that side. Although we preferred other beaches to Waikiki for swimming and playing in the water. Full breakfast buffet, relaxing managers reception at the 4th floor pool every evening, sometimes with live entertainment. Great selection of restaurants and shops just outside the hotel doors. We did not find the walk to Duke's, Hula Grill or International Market Place far at all. Our room was always clean and supplied with everything we needed.

I got the Outrigger on the beach for 125 per night for 2 nights at the end of September on priceline.com. Go to priceline and bid on resorts in Waikiki and you will get a great hotel at a great price.

How much is your flight?

Aqua Palms and Spa. Why because it's right across from Hawaiian Hilton and it's a block away from Wailana Coffee House. IHOP restaurant is at the Aqua. Both restaurants are not that expensive. Aqua is half the price of HHV and plus you can enjoy the ammenities and beach at the Hilton.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d559726-r7802220-Aqua_Palms_Spa-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Well, I'm now trying to get a feeling for which hotels we would be interested in staying in. We would like to get opinions from others on where you stayed, whether you would go back to them again, and whether you felt it was worth the price.

We will only need a room for 2 nights and will probably be spending very little time in our room. We are budget conscious but, we not only do not want to stay in a dump we would like to make our stay in Waikiki feel like we're on a really nice vacation, hence something nice but not too pricey. I would also like something within a few blocks of the beach.

Not asking for much am I? lol Anyway, I would love to hear of your experiences and welcome all comments. The more properties I can get a feel for from previous guests the better to make an educated decision.

Thanks all!

Edited by cruiseman40

For a more memorable ( but more expensive ) experience you might consider the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the recently remodeled Royal Hawaiian Hotel . We enjoyed staying at these places .

While I agree in theory, I couldn't say that either are going to fit "something nice but not too pricey" unless they happen upon a really good special. We enjoy visiting HHV during the day and evening, but haven't stayed there; we love the RH, but haven't stayed there since the remodel.

GypRasc:

This is actually a pretty common question. An advanced search on this forum only for "waikiki hotel" and similar will give you many detailed threads to help you. Here are some to get you started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202786&highlight=waikiki+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1166230&highlight=waikiki+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1240239&highlight=waikiki+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197120&highlight=waikiki+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1178960&highlight=waikiki+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098434&highlight=waikiki+hotel

beachchick

Kcarp, We used Continetal miles for the flights. It cost us 60,000 miles per person for my wife and myself. We got 1st class non-stop from Newark NJ going to Honolulu and coach coming back with a stop in Chicago. I have seen flights priced around $750 per person non-stop both ways from Newark.

Kcarp, I just put our dates in on the Continental website and the price was 585 per person non-stop from Newark to Honolulu. Of course that is for coach. I was really surprised how cheap it was. That is really reasonable.

Aqua Palms and Spa. Why because it's right across from Hawaiian Hilton and it's a block away from Wailana Coffee House. IHOP restaurant is at the Aqua. Both restaurants are not that expensive. Aqua is half the price of HHV and plus you can enjoy the ammenities and beach at the Hilton.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d559726-r7802220-Aqua_Palms_Spa-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

I have read several favorable reviews of the Aqua Palms and Spa. I have been leaning towards the HHV or the Outrigger Beach, but this one looks good for the price, and it has the amenities of the HHV. I found rates on a website called Blue Hawaii Resorts. Has anyone heard of this booking agent? Anyway their prices were the lowest I have seen, as low as $78 per night. But for $119 per night you can get a partial ocean view, too. I am going to present this one to my traveling companions, too.:)

Kcarp, I just put our dates in on the Continental website and the price was 585 per person non-stop from Newark to Honolulu. Of course that is for coach. I was really surprised how cheap it was. That is really reasonable.

Yeah, we booked a package and got flight/hotel 2 nights Outrigger on the Beach $750 per person.

I have read several favorable reviews of the Aqua Palms and Spa. I have been leaning towards the HHV or the Outrigger Beach, but this one looks good for the price, and it has the amenities of the HHV. I found rates on a website called Blue Hawaii Resorts. Has anyone heard of this booking agent? Anyway their prices were the lowest I have seen, as low as $78 per night. But for $119 per night you can get a partial ocean view, too. I am going to present this one to my traveling companions, too.:)

I went there (because you mentioned this site) and I like their prices a lot, in some cases--I'd love to hear from others who've used this site.

Yeah, we booked a package and got flight/hotel 2 nights Outrigger on the Beach $750 per person.

Did you call Continental? I can't figure out a way to input that you only want the hotel 2 nights, but are flying after 10 days.

I went there (because you mentioned this site) and I like their prices a lot, in some cases--I'd love to hear from others who've used this site.

Did you call Continental? I can't figure out a way to input that you only want the hotel 2 nights, but are flying after 10 days.

We went with Ex..dia, but if you want to search for 2 nights on Continentals website go to the vacation section and click on the additional booking option link. On the next page check the box "I only need a hotel for part of my trip" Hope that helps.

We went with Ex..dia, but if you want to search for 2 nights on Continentals website go to the vacation section and click on the additional booking option link. On the next page check the box "I only need a hotel for part of my trip" Hope that helps.

That was very helpful--thank you very much!!!

I can second Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We were only there for one night pre-cruise, but we wish we'd had more time! We (well, our travel agent) booked a partial ocean view, and when we checked in we were given a free upgrade to a top-floor ocean view suite, complete with a bottle of champagne (honeymoon)! Service from the restaurants, desk staff, bell hops, pool was all great. We were within walking distance to the shops, too. The beach was ok - it was rocky and the sand was kind of rough, but since we were only there for one night it didn't matter much. I'd definitely consider the Outrigger brand for other trips.

:DThe big question is when are you going to be staying in that Waikiki Hotel for those two Nights only & not much time at all at that? We have stayed at a few different Hotels on Waikiki & they all are different like they all cost different amounts of $$. Our favorite Hotel is the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, then the Outrigger On The Beach. They are not the least inexpensive though. One that we like that is a very good price is the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel & is right across the road from the Beach towards Diamond Head. So if I was the one going I would go to the Hyatt & rent one of the rooms in one of the Towers on the 26th or 27th Floor & start my stay with a view of Waikiki Beach & the Surfers with a Beverage of my choice in my hand.

We have stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki twice...but both times were during this latest renovation while they were building the infinity pool and redoing the public areas. The rooms had already been renovated and were very nice and pretty. Both times we lucked out and were assigned rooms with the million dollar Diamond Head view. I believe it was called an "oceanview" room and I would spend the extra $$ to get this view. The rooms have very large lanais and we sat out there a lot enjoying the view.

Unfortunately, the infinity pool was not finished for us to enjoy. But, this hotel has a great location right in the middle of all the action in Waikiki. It is right next door to the Royal Hawaii...aka Pink Palace....which is THE place to enjoy a mai-tai.

Yeah, I just saw that last week - we booked at $797 a few months ago to make sure we get the non-stop fligh. :(

:DThe big question is when are you going to be staying in that Waikiki Hotel for those two Nights only & not much time at all at that? We have stayed at a few different Hotels on Waikiki & they all are different like they all cost different amounts of $$. Our favorite Hotel is the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, then the Outrigger On The Beach. They are not the least inexpensive though. One that we like that is a very good price is the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel & is right across the road from the Beach towards Diamond Head. So if I was the one going I would go to the Hyatt & rent one of the rooms in one of the Towers on the 26th or 27th Floor & start my stay with a view of Waikiki Beach & the Surfers with a Beverage of my choice in my hand.

I've been looking at the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel but have read reviews that indicate the rooms are very small. I'm not sure this really matters but I don't want to be tripping over the bed either. Would love your opinion on the room sizes.

We stayed one day pre-cruise and one day post-cruise at the Westin Moana Surfrider.

Pluses:

- Location. It is directly across from International Marketplace and right on the beach. I think it is in the ideal Waikiki location.

- Ambience. It's very "plantation" like with high ceilings and wide open spaces. We stayed in the historic Banyan wing and were impressed with the condition of the room.

- Price. DW's brother works for Westin so we got a "Star-Hot" rate. It's very low but requires an authorization form. On our post-cruise night, I lost the form, so they charged us a $198 rate. I'm not sure if that is good for a regular rate but I think it is. I did have a copy of the form on my computer and transferred it to a USB key and the concierge printed it out for me for free. They then adjusted the rate down to where it should be.

- Free boarding passes. There is a kiosk at the concierge which lets you log in to any airline website and check in and print your boarding passes. We used USAirways which has a crummy website and the kiosk's security would not allow the passes to print. I did call the 24x7 help like and a man in India took remote control of the kiosk and gave me Administrator permission to get around the security and I was able to print my boarding passes. Still, it was a hassle.

Minuses:

- Expensive Internet. We used our own "pay as you go" internet which also worked great on the ship and at all the islands.

- Live Entertainment. Most would not consider this a negative, but they had a man signing and playing acoustic guitar (with amplifier and microphone) right under our window. He was very good and the crowd loved him, but he played until 11 PM which, as we are from the East, was way, way too late to be shaking the walls. On the flip side, when the racket was over, we could hear the waves crashing which was very relaxing and peaceful (unlike the entertainer.)

I've been looking at the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel but have read reviews that indicate the rooms are very small. I'm not sure this really matters but I don't want to be tripping over the bed either. Would love your opinion on the room sizes.

The rooms ARE very small, but we weren't tripping over the beds. We stayed there May 21, one night pre-cruise. We got an ocean front room for $120. I loved being able to look out the big sliding glass window-door and watch surfers, and sit out on the little balcony early the next morning, and walk across the street that same early morning to the beach and go for a swim (hotel provided beach towel).

We all (our group had three ocean-front rooms) thought this hotel was just fine for a one-night stay. We got in fairly late on that Friday (I know it was after 6 PM) and walked a few blocks down to Tiki's for dinner. We weren't all that hungry (it was 5 hours later in our home time zone!) so we all had some pupus, but they were great.

I was also very pleased because parking was not that expensive ($12, although at times they run out of space) AND they stored our bags for free after we checked out the next morning, while we went to Pearl Harbor.

The rooms had two double beds, a shower (no tub) in the bathroom (not a problem for me), and a small desk area with a small fridge in the room. The window unit AC was a bit noisy, but then being right on Kalakaua Avenue is noisy, until at least 2 AM! We were tired from our travels though and slept fine.

If you are looking for a resort, this is definitely NOT the place for you, but it was great for us - a taste of Waikiki, great view of and proximity to the beach, all at a very reasonable price.