Mexican Riviera, Bermuda or Caribbean?

aksmusic

Hello Everyone

I have been reading posts for a while and getting a lot of great information on RSSC cruises.

My husband and I are hoping to do our first cruise this year. We have done alot of research and have decided the RSSC seems like the best cruiseline for us. It will be a belated honeymoon cruise for us, so obviously we want a bit of romance :).

We have a few options we were looking into, and wanted to get info from the people on this board which one would be the best in terms of the intinerary, location, ship and weather (we want sunbathing weather and not too many crowds)

Navigator from New York to Bermuda in late August

Voyager from Fort Lauderdale to Caribbean in late November

Mariner from Los Angeles to Mexican Riviera in early December

All cruises are 7 or 8 days. We live in the SF Bay Area so logistically the Los Angeles cruise is closest, but we want the best bang for our buck.

thanks in advance for your help and information!

We are on the Voyager on 11/28 and would love to have you join us. Should be fantastic. We might have chosen Bermuda, however we are on the Silver Whisper in May and it was a little too close. Also with the Diamond leaving, it is looking like the Navigator will be doing Europe instead of Bermuda in 2006, so this might be the last opportunity on a small luxury ship to do this.

I would say no to the Mexican Riviera in December. Pacific is too cold and especially at that time of year. I understand that it is closer, but the other two will be nicer and warmer, even though farther.

I would agree that the Mexico itinerary would not necessarily provide you with the sun-and-sand type of vacation it sounds like you are looking for. We've been there in winter, and while we had a couple warm days, we also had some c-c-c-COLD ones!

I can't advise you between the other two, having never cruised to either, but as I'm looking to my future cruises I'm planning Caribbean before Bermuda. But I'll leave that question to those who've been there. :)

LeeAnne

Ann:

We have been on all three itineraries. The first one we would eliminate would be the "Mexican Rivera." The beaches there are a bit rocky, and the sand and water are a bit dirty. Not the best beach vacation. And, from a cultural or historic standpoint, it is not the best destination either. As between Bermuda and the Caribbean, we did not find Bermuda to be that beach-oriented, but we really liked touring the area --- some of which is historic. We went in April, and the water was just to cold to swim in, IMO. Beach area is limited, and was fairly crowded, even then. IMO, the Caribbean is all about beach activities, snorkeling, and the like. Sites on land worth seeing are there, but few and far between.

But if you want the ultimate beach and water experience, please reconsider the Paul Gauguin. French Polynesia offers beaches and water far better than the Caribbean, or any place else we've been. Let me put it this way. Before I ever went to the Caribbean, I had an image in my mind what it would be like. When I went there, it didn't measure up to that image. But French Polynesia did measure up to the image, and more! As far as being to far "off the beaten track", Radisson will take care of everything, and make you feel right at home! We feel the cruise experience on the Paul Gauguin is far and above any other tropical cruise -- even those on Radisson.

Personal safety is also important when selecting a destination, when you feel you might want to explore an area on your own. IMO, Mexico isn't bad, and Bermuda and French Polynesia are VERY safe. Some parts of the Caribbean are also safe, but some parts are not so much.

Hope this helps,

Richard:) :) :)

Dolebludger -

What do you think of some of the recent posts about GCT and it's possible eventual negative influence on the Paul Gaugin experience? We'll be sailing the Navigator in March and want to book a cruise while on board, and were leaning heavily toward a PG in June or July of 2006. But now I'm wondering...

Any thoughts?

Mary

Marylis:

All of the negative publicity about GCT seems to revolve around that "packager's" use of a "fine print" clause in their contract with customers to raise their rates significantly after booking has been made at a lower advertised price. The advertised price looked too good to be true, and it indeed was!

Radisson is still the lessee and operator of the cruise operations on the PG. If you book with Radisson, your contract is with Radisson, and GCT has nothing to do with it. Radisson has always leased the PG. The only thing that has changed is that GCT is now part owner, and has reserved the right to "package" some space on that ship (along with air and a land stay) and sell the package directly. Also, GCT has nothing to do with the day to day operations of this ship.

Keep in mind that GCT also sells "packages" with a cruise componet, usually on a line like NCL, combined with air and land stays. There have been some problems with these too, but have not been the fault of NCL.

Note that I call GCT a "packager" and not a travel agent. GCT is not a travel agent, and is not subject to any of the state regulation of the travel agent industry. GCT only contracts for space on ships, planes, and hotels, and then sells the package directly to customers. GCT refuses to use REAL travel agents.

So bottom line, if you book the PG through Radisson, you will be dealing with Radisson 100%. I anticipate no difference in the cruise quality on the PG. We have booked a special 14 night itinerary offered by Radisson on the PG starting September 17, '05. And, of course, we booked through Radisson, and certainly not through GCT!

Hope this helps,

Hi--I've been to the Mexcan Riviera on a Cruise (some 20-odd years ago on the old Sitmar line--bought out by Princess--the only cruise Ive ever taken) and I would not recommend the destination for several reasons. I agree with some of the posts about the weather--I live in SoCal, and much of what we get in the way of bad weather here, they get down there (at least as far down as Mazatlan).

Also, many of the stops are so tourist-y and are lacking in really beatuiful scenery. There's not a whole lot to do except to shop and visit local bars...I agree with another post that the beaches are not all that nice, and if you encounter bad weather, that'll be a moot point, anyway!! There are a few points of interest, but not as many, I think, as in some of the other places.

That being said, I do understand about logistics--anything leaving from L.A. is really convenient for me---especially since I don't fly!! I'm taking the round trip L.A./Tahiti/L.A. in November. Sometimes, it's just more pleasant to do something that is relatively easy logistically. Oh, BTW, the Tahiti round trip cruise stops off in S.F. on the way back!!! (Just a thought....;) )

Good luck deciding!! Liz

The best bang for you buck will probably be out of LA since you live there. But I agree if it is honeymoon there needs to be something more special! I have to go with Dolebludger on this, for a once in a lfetime trip, do the PG! She is going to be gone in time, and there is just nothing like this ship that will replace it, for the itinerary, the parties on deck, the service, company, whatever. Your choice, all are good. As a long-time cruiser on this line, I just say DO IT for you honeymoon trip!

I have to agree about Tahiti, we keep going to different places all over the world, and nothing compares....Richard, we were on the 1st. segment of the Voyager's world cruise, and we were docked right next to the Paul Gaugain, so everyone was invited to go onboard, so we did, I don't know what their doing to her, but alot of things have been removed since our last sailing on her, she really felt bare.....I was not the only one who noticed it. Hope things don't change too much......I still loved the ship anyway, just seems they are not taking the pride in her that they did... Sure hope Radisson replaces her with another small ship, but I doubt that very much...We booked 2-segments for next years world cruise on the Voyager, all those great sea days, and then Tahiti....

We've been on all of the itinerary's you've mentioned and we had our Honeymoon on ship in the Carribbean. I've frequently been to Mexico, and while you are in ports it will be warm, but, on the ocean, LeeAnne is correct. It will be cold! For the Carribbean, if you go in August, you will be in hurricane season, but, it will be warm and worthwhile. Just watch the weather reports. We were in Bermuda in June and we did not once put on our swimsuits. Too cold! Beautiful place to go, but the ship is more of a floating hotel while docked there and a bery different experience.

If I picked any of the above, I do Carribean in December.

I don't know what their doing to her, but alot of things have been removed since our last sailing on her, she really felt bare.....I was not the only one who noticed it. Hope things don't change too much..........

Wow, Sandra, this doesn't sound good to me. We are on the Feb 26 sailing of the PG. We were on her in 2003, so I will have something to compare. I will report back. We are traveling with friends who have not cruised before and I will be so disappointed if things have gone down hill. Wasn't thrilled to hear about the wine with lunch being eliminated, but won't let that detail bother us too much. We will go with a positive attitude and hope for the best.

Jacki

I'd go for the Mariner cruise down the Mexican Riviera in a Cat C penthouse. Rates for that cruise are great and the weather should be fine. We did the New Years Canal trip aboard Voyager in '03 from FLL-Los Angeles and the weather was superb from Costa Rica to LA; temps in the high 70s.

sandracruiser:

Hi again! I would really appreciate info as to the changes you noticed in the Paul Gauguin when you saw her recently. So this topic doesn't dilute the subject of this thread, perhaps you could start a new thread on this subject.

Thanks,

Archived