Mediterranean Cruise next summer - Vatican question

susiej4

I have just received an email that my husband and I have tickets to go to the necropolis under the Basilica of St. Peter next summer on our Barcelona loop cruise. I am wondering if we will be able to make our tour time of 9:15 if the ship is due in to port at 7 a.m. Any advice on quickest transport, how long it takes to get there, or other tidbits is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sue

I have just received an email that my husband and I have tickets to go to the necropolis under the Basilica of St. Peter next summer on our Barcelona loop cruise. I am wondering if we will be able to make our tour time of 9:15 if the ship is due in to port at 7 a.m. Any advice on quickest transport, how long it takes to get there, or other tidbits is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sue

It may be a tight squeeze. The ship may get into port a bit late and even if it is supposed to be docked at 7:00AM it still needs to clear port authority. In addition, some groups have priority disembarkation at ports (don't know if you are one of those groups such es Elite, etc). In addition, the port ia quite a distance (it's about 45 minutes- 1 hour drive since it's actually in Civitavecchia, not Rome) from the Vatican and you need to worry about early morning traffic. Can you change the time of the tour?

Thank you,

Sue

Read this, it may help you in deciding for yourself if you will be able to make it on time. The last paragraph gives you the estimated time to get to Rome from the ship.

Civitavecchia to Rome

For all the reasons that GeorgeL states, and, if anything, I think he may have erred on the side of being optimistic. I'd think with a 7:00 am arrival time, you'd be lucky to be off the ship by 7:20 (e.g., if you're Elite), get a taxi (although transit time on the Leonardo Express to Rome may be faster, you'd then have to get a taxi from Termini to St. Peter's) in a morning rush hour and arrive at the meeting place (to the left of the basilica as you face it) by 9:00 am.

It's possible, but as GeorgeL suggests, see if there's any chance of getting a later time. I realize that's difficult, particularly since the Scavi tour has been one of the most sought after experiences in Rome for years. Good luck!

Sam

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=21455253&postcount=6

If you could get a 10:00 appt. that would be much better, that said:

if you can get on the 7:33 train & exit at the St. Peter station you would be there at your waiting spot right around 9. It's doable if you are ready & at that gang plank the minute they open it, plus everything "goes right" I've found that the folks working the tenders (no tender here) & exits are very helpful, talk to them early, around 6:00 am before they put the cords on the stairways. You may have to wait by securtity for an hour or so. You didn't say what day of the week you're there...could make a dif. in train schedules.

Thank you so much for your opinions. I am going to write them back today and see if I can arrange a later time. We are going to be there on a Friday and I think you're right on with the time squeeze. It would be really stressful to think we might miss it. Who needs added stress. I'll give it a try.

Sue

Thank you so much for your opinions. I am going to write them back today and see if I can arrange a later time. We are going to be there on a Friday and I think you're right on with the time squeeze. It would be really stressful to think we might miss it. Who needs added stress. I'll give it a try.

Sue

Good luck and let us know if you are successful.

We were on a Med cruise 3 years ago. We did a private tour with a group of CC members to Rome and did not deal with the train. The guide met us at the pier, can't remember what time we got off. A private tour guide would be able to tell you if he could get you there in time. We had some members of the group who wanted to attend mass and we did something else and then picked them up. Good luck There are several guides listed on the Rome board. Linda

Read your confirmation carefully. If you are not there on time (15 minutes early) they don't wait for you. If you have a confirmation you have already paid. There are no refunds or rescheduling if you are late! Ask for a later tour.

Sue

Good luck and let us know if you are successful.

Read your confirmation carefully. If you are not there on time (15 minutes early) they don't wait for you. If you have a confirmation you have already paid. There are no refunds or rescheduling if you are late! Ask for a later tour.

I think the OP already has that in mind.

I have heard back from this this morning and they have rebooked us for 3 p.m. The ship leaves at 7 p.m. Enough time for the tour and to return to port?

Sue

The tour is 90 minutes. If everything goes well you will have 2.5 hours to return to the ship. This is 15 minutes longer than you had before. Not much, but an improvement. This is something you have to decide for yourself, not for a group of people you don’t know.

Here’s a link to verify the length of the tour.

Tour Time

Scroll down to, Scavi Tour.

You will emerge quite close to the San Pietro train station--as close as you can get in the Vatican complex. If you go to the Italy ports of call boards there is very detailed train info with schedules. I think you will have time but will have to hustle. At that time of day the train is probably faster than a car!

The tour is wonderful--you were lucky to get it!!!

Cathy

I have heard back from this this morning and they have rebooked us for 3 p.m. The ship leaves at 7 p.m. Enough time for the tour and to return to port?

Sue

I think that's enough time. Coming back may involve some afternoon traffic but most likely not as much as in the morning. What concerns me in this scenario is that if you are late you may literally miss the boat whereas if you had been late in the morning you would only miss the tour. Still, I do think this new tour time will work out well for you in all respects.

Thanks for you input again. I now have a 1:45 tour. I appreciate your opinions. When people come to vist Mexico, where I live, I give them my best judgements also. So, even though Dale suggests that I not take advice from a bunch of people I don't know, why on earth would anyone then post on a forum that allows for free discussion? Again, thanks for your knowledge. I'm so looking forward to this trip.

Sue

Thanks for you input again. I now have a 1:45 tour. I appreciate your opinions. When people come to vist Mexico, where I live, I give them my best judgements also. So, even though Dale suggests that I not take advice from a bunch of people I don't know, why on earth would anyone then post on a forum that allows for free discussion? Again, thanks for your knowledge. I'm so looking forward to this trip.

Sue

Congrats. Sounds like that timing should work well.

Sue

This is great news! You are lucky to be able to do this tour and the timing is perfect. It may give you enough time for a bit of lunch to eat before the tour if you get to Rome early. Nothing like some pizza and gelato while in Rome!

The last time I was on a cruise that docked in Rome our excursion bus got delayed by terrible traffic. I vowed that if I was ever to return I would take the train into Rome. Fellow cruisers did it and arrived away ahead of our bus.

I understand the station is a five minute walk from the port.

Good luck!

Archived