Mini Suite on Golden

Terre

Just booked a mini suite on the Golden for Alaska...tell me about it. Does it have a make-up mirror? How big is the walk-in closet? How's the hair dryer...should I still bring mine? Does the bed need the egg crate mattress? Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.

Just booked a mini suite on the Golden for Alaska...tell me about it. Does it have a make-up mirror? NO How big is the walk-in closet? It isn't a walk in. It's in the hallway to the bathroom and is fairly large. How's the hair dryer...should I still bring mine? I brought mine and used theirs occasionally. It's not bad. Does the bed need the egg crate mattress?We requested an egg crate. Don't know how the mattress is without it. Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.
The sitting area is really nice and spacious. Great counter space in the bathroom. Was our first mini suite and we are now spoiled!

We were in D-321 on the Golden.

The room is a bit extended over a balcony and there is a couch. The desk is slightly larger. There are 2 TVs.

The closet area is the same size as a balcony. There are shelves (you lose most of one for the safe) and a long bar to hang your clothes.

The bathroom is larger and there is a shower/tub combo so you will not have to become intimately acquainted with the shower curtain.

The blow dryer is, well, kind of sad. It takes a long time to dry long hair.

The mattresses are firm, but we like firm mattresses. We don't use the egg crate.

You will like it. They are considerably larger than Balcony and ocean view cabins , a full size bathtub, a larger closet. The deck has four chairs and a table. We enjoy the separate sitting area, a full sofa and a chair.

there is also a ton of storage. Have fun, we warn you once you have a mini suite you will find it difficult to go back to a balcony cabin.

There is a good-sized mirror above the desk, which you can see in the photo below. It's not a make-up mirror but does the job. As said, the "closet" isn't a true closet. It's a hallway that doubles as a dressing area with a rod going the width of the cabin and a cabinet with floor-to-ceiling shelves. Opposite the rod is the door to the bathroom. If you look at the floorplan, you'll see what I mean. Here are some photos of a mini-suite, including the "closet."

minisuite.jpg

minisuite1.jpg

closetwsafe.jpg

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/np/staterooms/np_minisuite_withbalcony.html

You also have two nightstands and shelves in the cabinet that have the televisions. They have lighting over the mirror over the desk that is bright enough to use for makeup and doing your hair. That's where the blow dryer is also. I never bring one because I have found the one on board to be adequate. But then, I have short hair and it doesn't take long to dry it. Besides the chair at the desk you also have a chair and sofa and a coffee table.

We usually bring a power strip for the desk so we can charge cameras, cellphones, ipods, use for curling irons, etc. It takes up little space and is very helpful.

I keep saying we'll do this, but never get one. Must get one!

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies.

One more question...are there plenty of outlets?

No, there are not many outlets. Do bring a power strip. We usually plug it in by one of the TV's and use it for all of our chargers. Have a great time. I see you have an Emerald Deck mini, you will enjoy the covered balcony. :)

There are two outlets by the vanity table. One in the bathroom for razors only.

Just a little hint... I have found that I can plug a night light into the outlet in the bathroom that is marked for shavers only. I leave it plugged in 24/7 and have never had a steward say anything about it being unsafe. It sure beats turning the bright overhead light on in the middle of the night.

Thanks, Cathy. I always take a night light, too. Good tip.

I also read on the thread Secrets Princess Doesn't Tell You About, that there are extra outlets hidden behind a little door under the TV...I'll be looking for those guys!

The hair dryer is the kind that are mounted on the wall. If you have long hair, it would take a long time to dry it because they aren't very powerful. Also, as a word of warning, don't allow the dryer to go into your hair because there is a fan on the back that will suck your hair into it. Just happened to me last week on the Caribbean Princess. For short hair, it would be fine.

Another option for a bathroom nightlight that does not have to be plugged in:

I take a couple of the little battery operated tealight candles. One will provide a soft glow that is enough light for middle of the night bathroom visits. (The extra one I take is for a back-up if the first one's battery conks out!)

Archived