Mendenhall Galcier

Jen1000

Not sure what you mean by open, but there is a path/trail that we did in July, not so clearly marked but very easy that takes you to nugget. We were there to early for bears, I guess ask the Rangers when you get there about bear sightings.

Good luck

Is the new trail people have posted about open to the waterfall?

What trail are people talking about where they have seen bears close to the visitor center?

We leave next week!

Jen in SoCal

Not sure what you mean by open...

There's a newly-built path that's had the first part of it (the access from the Visitor Center) blocked for some reason (it was useable early in the season but not when I was back in late June).

But watch for beavers- there was a very busy beaver building his dam when we were there. and I understand that they will shut down the trails if the bears are too active- an injured tourist or two is not a good advertisement.

But watch for beavers- there was a very busy beaver building his dam when we were there. and I understand that they will shut down the trails if the bears are too active- an injured tourist or two is not a good advertisement.

Last year when we were there we went over to the boardwalk area near the visitor center, since I've heard that bears can sometimes be seen there. Most of the area was roped off, with a ranger standing nearby making sure nobody went into the area. Must have been TOO MUCH bear activity. Unfortunately we didn't see anything.

We just got back from our cruise and we were at Mendenhall Glacier on Tuesday. Nugget Falls trail was OPEN, and we were able to go all the way to the base of the falls. The trail will be on your right hand side, and it is marked with a big sign.

USFS was doing work on some of the paths, so they may divert you a little bit, but we got to the falls no problem. Have fun, it's an amazing place!

Great! I am looking forward to it.

Jen in SoCal

We just got back from our cruise and we were at Mendenhall Glacier on Tuesday. Nugget Falls trail was OPEN, and we were able to go all the way to the base of the falls. The trail will be on your right hand side, and it is marked with a big sign.

USFS was doing work on some of the paths, so they may divert you a little bit, but we got to the falls no problem. Have fun, it's an amazing place!

We just returned also. The trail was open, one area you had to walk on some rocks on the hillside that were a bit slippery and would be hard for someone that has walking difficulties. The falls were spectacular up close.

We did not see any bears on our day, but the salmon were still running down at the bridge at the first parking area. They have a park ranger who was down by the bridge giving info about the area.

Enjoy your trip. We had great weather, but I understand this summer has not been the best , weather wise, bring warm layers (waterproof) and you'll be fine.

We just returned also. The trail was open, one area you had to walk on some rocks on the hillside that were a bit slippery and would be hard for someone that has walking difficulties.

That's the old route, not the new trail that I was on in May - it's a wide gravel trail all the way. It was probably built to avoid any more injuries on that rock slope that you crossed. The new one is still not posted on the FS page ( http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml )

Just got back from our Alaska cruise (returned 8/28). We were lucky enough to see a bear fishing near the visitor center. We were on a boardwalk like path that went by a creek and the bear was fishing. My DD got a great little video of it.:D

When we were at Mendenhall Glacier 3 yrs. ago there was only the "rough" trail leading to the falls. We were looking thru our binoculars at the falls 'cause we saw people walking around over at the falls....some guy was actually SKINNYDIPPING in the falls!:eek::p Brrrrrrrr! The Park Rangers were watching him thru THEIR binoculars too from the Visitor Center.....

Archived