Hair Braiding for little girls

daze6399

Ok, I did a search. I don't have months to spend looking for the answer. So I thought I'd ask here.

What do ya'll think about hair braiding/beading for little girls.

On ship?

At a port?

At home before you go?

Stick a hat on her head?

What did the girls think of it?

I'm debating weather or not to get my 4 year old's hair done. She "claims" she wants to do it "on the boat" but she's 4 so...

what do ya'll think?

daze

Our daughter got her hair braided in Nassua when she was 6 then mexico when she was 7. She loves it. We only have them braid the front on her head to give the effect of a head band across her head. she wears it for up to six weeks after we get home. It's truly a wash and go hair do. So i'd say go for it. We sail on the Epic 9/25 and she already talking about getting her hair braided again.

Totally harmless. As an African-American it is very common in our culture to have hair braided. Most kids will have their hair braided as soon as they grow enough hair to braid. The ladies who braid in ports are usually very efficient. Sometimes several women will braid one persons head at a time. They can do a braid each minute or two. The real question will be how many braids does your daughter want? If she wants 50 or 60 you might be there awhile. If she just wants a few to get the effect, they can probably have it done in less than an hour. Typically they charge about $1 a braid As with most things in the island though if you walk away the price might drop! :)

Totally harmless. As an African-American it is very common in our culture to have hair braided. Most kids will have their hair braided as soon as they grow enough hair to braid. The ladies who braid in ports are usually very efficient. Sometimes several women will braid one persons head at a time. They can do a braid each minute or two. The real question will be how many braids does your daughter want? If she wants 50 or 60 you might be there awhile. If she just wants a few to get the effect, they can probably have it done in less than an hour. Typically they charge about $1 a braid As with most things in the island though if you walk away the price might drop! :)

sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm debating getting it done at home, or on the trip. And if I want to get any of mine done. :D Yea, my hair is fairly long.

I'm not sure how long she will sit still for.

Thanks for the price info, I forgot to ask. $1/braid seems pretty fair to me, my wife has done a few on my hair and it's a lot of work.

So the general consensus is get it done on the islands?

Question #IDK. Is there any place/person ya'll recommend in Costa Maya or Cozumel?

I prolly should have specified that in the first post sorry.

thanks for the help ya'll.

daze

Maybe it depends on the braider, but our daughter had hers done in Grand Turk this year by a woman who just circulated through the crowd and asked.Our daughter was fighting back tears the whole time because she was so rough.

Also, remember that if your hair is thin or fragile, there may well be alot of breakage, especially if you leave the braid in for more than a day or two....the hairs tend to "frizz" and pop out of the braids and tangle, break and generally, make a mess of your hair.

I've heard nightmare stories of the damage it does to hair afterwards and the drama of actually getting the braids out. Not to mention the sanitary factors involved. If it were me, I 'd skip it. Damaged hair and little creepy crawlies, not to mention the trauma and tears that are possible wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd hit the cheapy jewlery store at the mall and let her pick out some fun headbands and clips for her hair instead.

I've done this many times, for myself and for my daughter. I always do it at home before we leave, because it's time that we're sitting doing 'work' instead of being out enjoying our brief holiday time. I'm sure there are places here that do it, but I always do it myself (including most of my own; I get my husband to 'start' some of the braids at the back). Unless you're planning on having a formal picture done where you don't want braids in your hair (or your daughter's), I highly recommend full braiding for convenience. I used to have hair down to my butt, and it's still mid-back, and my daughter has very thick curly hair. I can't even begin to describe the difference it makes to be able to just wash and go - or swim and go - or whatever and go. No brushing, no whining, no trying to get a comb or brush though tangled wet hair... and you can get some really cool beads at your local craft store (pony beads). My daughter loves the glow-in-the-dark ones. :)

Another reason to do it at home is that your child might hate it. I saw a little girl on a tender once who had three braids half out before her mom even realized what she was doing. The mom just sighed and started taking the rest out. I can't imagine sitting for the hour or so it probably took to do the braids (while I could have been enjoying the port), and then having my daughter just pull them out anyway. If you can french braid, you can corn row; the braids are just a lot smaller, and you have to spend a little time considering the 'pattern' before you start. If you can't do it yourself - or don't know anyone who can - I would make two appointments at a salon and have them do just the front first and see how it goes, then go back and have the rest done if she's okay with it.

As for hair breakage or other damage, I have never experienced this, and I'm about as crazy about my hair as anyone can be. I don't even own a blow dryer, and I freak out at the slightest appearance of split ends or breakage. When you go to take the braids out, they will definitely have developed a 'frizz' near the scalp, because our hair grows constantly, so since the new growth can't just find its way into the braids, it ends up looking fuzzy. Also, we lose hair constantly, and none of the hair that would usually have ended up in our brush has had a chance to be brushed away, so when the braids come out, it seems like you're losing a lot of hair - but it's just the regular sloughage that's been trapped in the braids. I'm sure that most 'horror' stories about breakage or damage are the result of people seeing how much hair comes out with the braids.

While the braids are in, remember that there is a lot of skin exposed in the parts. We wear hats for general protection from the sun and to avoid sunstroke, and I also use sunscreen, which not only protects the skin, but helps to keep the 'fuzzies' down. When you wash it, you do it exactly the same as when it's not braided; the surface area exposed to the elements and dirt is just different. A build-up of shampoo and conditioner can occur, but it's not noticable while the hair is still braided. When it comes out, though, it might feel 'wierd', as if there's something 'on' it... which there is, but it's nothing to worry about and has no doubt been protecting the hair the entire time.

Taking the braids out can be time consuming, also, but nothing that can't be done during a movie or a couple episodes of Spongebob.

So, from my experience, I highly recommend braiding, and doing it prior to departure so that the time on vacation can be spent doing other things. :)

Done on the boat will be most expensive, but likely the cleanest and safest.

I had my daughter's done when she was 5 in cozumel, it was right off the dock, cheap and it showed. We got it "fixed" for a few more dollars in Ocho Rios. It lasted about 4 days, but she loved it.

There are people who have said lice or worse is a risk in port, YMMV. If I had to do it again I'd probably have been more careful and done it on the ship even if it cost 10x more, just not worth it and still all the fun experience as in port.

Ok, I did a search. I don't have months to spend looking for the answer. So I thought I'd ask here.

What do ya'll think about hair braiding/beading for little girls.

On ship?

At a port?

At home before you go?

Stick a hat on her head?

What did the girls think of it?

I'm debating weather or not to get my 4 year old's hair done. She "claims" she wants to do it "on the boat" but she's 4 so...

what do ya'll think?

daze

14_Ashley_getting_braids.jpg.71467d0d4ee51d3d309ec0d0d9f9f5ce.jpg

15_Ashley_with_her_new_braids.jpg.bc1d77cdffe15f8cee93ab9d3bf36897.jpg

Don't forget the exposed scalp factor. If you have full braiding, a lot of tender scalp is exposed to the sun. Wear a hat! IMHO a few face framing braids are the best idea for the first time and I join the chorus of 'do it on the ship' (or before sailing) for sanitary and time reasons.

Don't forget the exposed scalp factor. If you have full braiding, a lot of tender scalp is exposed to the sun. Wear a hat! IMHO a few face framing braids are the best idea for the first time and I join the chorus of 'do it on the ship' (or before sailing) for sanitary and time reasons.

Yes, the exposed scalp is very important, as I mentioned earlier. One can never point that out enough, though! Hats are a good idea no matter what your hair is like, because sunstroke can really ruin a great vacation day!! Sunscreen is pretty much a necessity with all the extra parts as well, though, since the hat will come off at some point. :)

I just wanted to add that if you choose to just do only some braids at the front, I recommend partials. If you do complete braids only in part of the hair, they can become tangled with the hair that isn't braided. The partial braids stop at the scalp, so there's nothing for loose hair to wind around. Since I have always done my own hair, I've had to sometimes do it over a few days, and I'm always very careful to keep the loose hair tied back until I can braid it; I can't imagine the tangled mess that might happen if I left it loose with the little braids and beads.

My daughter has had it done in both Costa Maya and Cozumel, really no difference between the two. Just remember spray suncreen for exposed scalp. Also if your daughter wants it to last as long as possible (maybe show friends back at school) she needs to sleep with her head wrapped. We would bring a banadana or those turban wraps that you see at the drugstore for old lady's to sleep in. This way my daughter could keep her braids looking good for the whole cruise and at least a week after. Otherwise in about 4 days they will have so many snags and flyaways that you will be ready to remove it no matter how much your child pleads to leave them in.

We have always brought our own comb on shore to have it done. In 6 times we have never experienced any problems with locals braiding her hair. She sees having the braiding as one of her souveniers. I see it as supporting the local women, who have all been super nice and excited for the work.

My daughter's had it done a couple of times in the ports, she loves it. I've never had them put in cornrows, she prefers a few box braids - just enough to feel special on vacation. She's never had any issues with rough braiders, damage or lice (which is what I imagine others are referring to).

Just a thought...take your own comb. I do remember the place in Nassau right off of the dock did use the "blue stuff" to disinfect their combs. I would not use anyone who walks up to you and pulls a comb out of their pocket! I'm too terrified of catching lice or other creepy crawlies.

My 7YO DD had the front done the beach on St. Thomas--11 partial braids with beads. Looked like a headband and took about 1/2 hour. She LOVED it, and we didn't have to worry about her hair for the rest of the cruise and for a week or so afterward. They do have to pull at least a little though, so I wouldn't recommend it for a kid with a very sensitive scalp.

If you have it done on a beach, as we did one year...

Make sure to have it done before she gets in the water and any sand gets in her hair. My daughter was shedding sand from the braids for weeks! And, yes, she washed her hair..

YOu can bring your own comb..I have one in the beach bag.

Archived