Comparing Itineraries for Snorkeling and Looking for Recommendations

Okay, so I have been wanting to take a land vaca to Bonaire and Curacao, but it looks like we may end up doing a cruise with our friends as they have never done a cruise and we have been promising we would go with them. That aside - I looked for cruise itineraries to spark the snorkeler inside.

A little bit about my snorkeling experience - I have snorkeled Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Antigua, Akumal, and Costa Maya and I rank them in that order more or less.

Last year we did the Carnival Legend visiting the first four on that list and had a great time. One of the reasons I love to cruise is to see multiple places on a trip and also to scout for a place to go for a future land vacation.

So at this point there is a 10-Day Southern Caribbean that visits Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Samana - Domincan Republic, Bonaire, Curacao, and Aruba.

From my brief research it seems like I can find pretty good snorkeling at most of these ports. For those of you that have snorkeled extensively in the Caribbean - do you think this is a good itinerary for an avid snorkeler? Will I be disappointed compared to the Legend itinerary? We are thinking about November-February - any suggestions as what time might be better for the ABCs? Also wanted to see if you had any awesome tours or site to recommend. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice! :)

You will not be disappointed with the snorkeling at any of these, but particularly Bonaire. Bonaire is the #1 snorkeling spot of the Caribbean.

Grand Turk - take a snorkel trip with Blue Water Divers. There is an amazing wall to snorkel over! http://www.grandturkscuba.com/

Bonaire - Woodwind is a MUST. Book with them early. They fill up fast. Here's pictures we took in Bonaire snorkeling. http://picasaweb.google.com/11032546...eat=directlink

Curacoa - Rent a car. Taxis are expensive. Easy driving. You can go to several sites. Research the snorkeling spots and take your pick. Here's a link to the numerous snorkeling spots. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Curacao/index.htm

Have a great time. JJ

Thanks for posting JJPacer!

Yeah we were considering a week just in Bonaire because we love snorkeling SO much - but I think a cruise with our friends will better meet everyone`s vacation agenda.

All of those recommendations align with what I am thinking based on my research, so thank you so much for sharing/suggesting.

Do you have any recommendations for Samana or Aruba?

We are still trying to decide about date in Nov/Dec 2011 or Jan/Feb 2012!

You will have to let us know how you like this cruise when you get back and also how it compares to Hawaii and the Galapagos!

Did you love French Polynesia? Thats on our list as well!

For Half Moon Cay, it sounds like the options are limited for snorkeling, but there are a couple of options - its hard not to snorkel even if its not great! - but maybe we should do something else here.

We've done the snorkeling tour on Half Moon Cay. It was OK, but you only get about 45 minutes in the water, and then you have to get back on the boat. There are some posts on the Private Island threads giving specific directions to snorkleing spots on Half Moon Cay. We'll be trying to find some of those spots when we go back in Jan.:)

topspot - yeah i have read about a couple of spots you can walk to from the main beach area, hubby and I can probably do those, but I am not sure if our friends who have very limited experience would be able, but maybe they can do something else at that stop and dh and i can have a little adventure. I definitely have to re-read those posts tho, because I cannot tell which way down the beach to head, but at least i have some time to figure it out...;)

Maybe when you get back you would be willing to tell me about the spots you find???? :)

thanks for posting!

Samana - We are going here in Nov. Haven't been before. From my research, it is not the safest place. We have gone off on our own on many islands, so we're not timid. But this is one place we decided it's best to stay with a group and do a ship excursion. I was unable to find any independent excursions. Our ship is offering a snorkeling excursion. However, we have decided to do the Rincon beach excursion thru the ship.

Aruba - does not have good snorkeling. This is our 3rd trip to Aruba. The beaches are stunning. There is one snorkel excurison, Jolly Pirates. I have checked into it and the locations it takes you to to snorkel. While I'm sure you see some fish, it sounds more like a party boat to me. The snorkeling will not compare to Bonaire, Curacoa, Grand Turk. So, we are making Aruba a beach day.

Half Moon Cay - There isn't much snorkeling here. However, there is some snorkeling if you turn right after the entrance. You will pass a wagon, go up a hill on a snady trail, and back down again. It is rocky here, and you will see some fish, and it's free!

We loved Tahit. Well, actually all the other islands we visited more than Tahiti, itself. It's a great cruise with great snorkeling. We have to wait until Dec. 2011 for Galapogas. I can hardly wait. We'll snorkel there, too. :rolleyes:

Samana - We are going here in Nov. Haven't been before. From my research, it is not the safest place. We have gone off on our own on many islands, so we're not timid. But this is one place we decided it's best to stay with a group and do a ship excursion. I was unable to find any independent excursions. Our ship is offering a snorkeling excursion. However, we have decided to do the Rincon beach excursion thru the ship.

Aruba - does not have good snorkeling. This is our 3rd trip to Aruba. The beaches are stunning. There is one snorkel excurison, Jolly Pirates. I have checked into it and the locations it takes you to to snorkel. While I'm sure you see some fish, it sounds more like a party boat to me. The snorkeling will not compare to Bonaire, Curacoa, Grand Turk. So, we are making Aruba a beach day.

Half Moon Cay - There isn't much snorkeling here. However, there is some snorkeling if you turn right after the entrance. You will pass a wagon, go up a hill on a snady trail, and back down again. It is rocky here, and you will see some fish, and it's free!

We loved Tahit. Well, actually all the other islands we visited more than Tahiti, itself. It's a great cruise with great snorkeling. We have to wait until Dec. 2011 for Galapogas. I can hardly wait. We'll snorkel there, too. :rolleyes:

Try Baby Beach in Aruba. It has some of the biggest fish I have ever snorkeled with! I enjoyed it immensely!

Exactly! The choices you have made are the ones I have too.

Holland America Noordam makes all those stops and we have booked for late Feb. 2011.

That is why we chose this cruise.

Do lots of research both on cruise critic and google the stops with snorkel and you'll come up with plenty of ideas.

We prefer small groups or independent instead of the cattle call excursions.

We spent a week in Aruba and snorkeled at every beach that had water :D since we are also avid snorkelers. Our absolute favorite that we found ourselves returning to over and over was Boca Catalina. There is not much of a 'beach' and no facilities, but the most enjoyable snorkeling we found in Aruba. A wide variety of sea life and an abundance of fish. It is one of the stops for several of the tour boats as they would come and go during the hours we would be there.

So, while Aruba may not be an ideal snorkeling destination, my belief is that there is some good snorkeling there.

You might also consider De Palm island excursion in Aruba. It was a fun day and we saw gigantic blue parrot fish, but not the huge variety and numbers of other fish we saw at Boca Catalina.

We are taking the Carnival Legend cruise in October (have been to all ports except Roatan previously) and an 11 night Southern Carribean in December that includes Aruba and 7 other ports that are all new to us. We are planning to snorkel in each and every one of them on both cruises and have what we hope are some great tours planned for many. Hopefully, after we return, I could definitively answer your orginally posted question!

FYI - in my research of Roatan, I have heard that November is their rainy season (read excessively rainy with many snorkeling trips not even operating during that month) so you may want to add that to your consideration for your travel date if Roatan ends up being a port in your chosen itinerary.

cmtom89,

I have read others that were fond of Boca Catalina. We will be visiting aboard Noordam in March 2011.

What is the best way to reach this spot, bus or taxi. What are the fares, and I also am wondering if our snorkel bags and such will be safe left on the beach while we are in the water? Of course, no real valuables would be left onshore.

If using a taxi, is calling for one to pick us up easily done? I don't believe my cell will work in Aruba.

How long of a drive time to/from the cruise docks.

Thanks for any help.

Samana - We are going here in Nov. Haven't been before. From my research, it is not the safest place. We have gone off on our own on many islands, so we're not timid. But this is one place we decided it's best to stay with a group and do a ship excursion. I was unable to find any independent excursions.

You might want to try terry when looking for a tour in Samana. He is getting rave reviews on other parts of this board.

Try "toursamanawithterry" on google or on the search feature.

cmtom89,

I have read others that were fond of Boca Catalina. We will be visiting aboard Noordam in March 2011.

What is the best way to reach this spot, bus or taxi. What are the fares, and I also am wondering if our snorkel bags and such will be safe left on the beach while we are in the water? Of course, no real valuables would be left onshore.

If using a taxi, is calling for one to pick us up easily done? I don't believe my cell will work in Aruba.

How long of a drive time to/from the cruise docks.

Thanks for any help.

We had a rental car while there, but I know several others on these boards who access it by local bus and taxi. If you go the taxi route, arrange for return pick-up when you are dropped off as it is not a touristy beach where taxis line up.

I believe it is the #10 bus and depending on how busy and the time of day it should take @20-30 minutes to get there. Maybe a bit more on the bus because of the stops. I think the taxis are pretty reasonable, but the bus is even more inexpensive. :D

Do pick up a sandwich or something for a picnic on the way - there is nothing that is easily walkable. Of course, you can get back on the bus and go to the high rise hotel section (close by) and have plenty of options.

or you could have a taxi drop you at the supermarket for snacks/picnic supplies, then take you to the beach and just grab the bus back.

My best advice for specific bus schedules, taxi info, fares, etc is to go to the Aruba port of call board and search "Catalina" or "Boca Catalina" and you will get great results. A poster named ArubaLisa is excellent at providing very specific details.

We ended up spending 3-5 hours here most every day of the week we were there. None of our things were ever disturbed on the beach. There were some workers at the houses around there and people coming and going, but no one bothered any of our stuff at all. Many times, we were the only ones there, but we never felt unsafe at all. You will enjoy it!!

You will be disappointed. Samana is poor as is Artuba. Bonaire is good. curacao is good but it is only so on the WEST END in the bays formed by boulders. It is a 50 minute car ride from the dock to the firxst of these bays called Klein Knip. If you go look for a sign for Capt. Goodfellow, He can take you out beyond the bays for 2.5-3 hours and during that time drop you at 3 spots for 40 minutes each and tou can get good snorkeling for $25 per person. Grand Turk is good but the tour boats do not go out to the real good are around Salt Key. The go along the wall which is no where near Roatan and maybe equal to Grand Cayman. I have not been to their private island but I have heard it is a novice snorkel. This will not compare anywhere to Belize and Roatan unfortunately, sorry.

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!

Harry Travels - I appreciate your honest feedback as well - do you mind to contrast Bonaire and Curacao to Roatan and Belize? Like I said before, we were initially thinking about doing ten days split between the two. If you were doing a land vaca in the caribbean what island would you pick for snorkeling?

On the Legend we had 4 stops but all were really good snorkel spots

(with Coz being our least favorite for snorkeling) This cruise has 6 stops and it seems like 3 our good for snorkel, 2 are so so and one is non existant. Plust we get an extra sea day to relaxe. We were kinda hoping that the itinerary would work out like this

Half Moon Cay = relaxing and teaching our friends how to snorkel, then later making it out to the shipwreck other people talk about on our own.

Grand Turk = Cozumel (have to take a boat out)

Samana - no idea (probably snorkel even if it kinda sucks)

Bonaire= Belize (take boat to klein bonaire then shore snorkel within walking or short taxi ride of the pier)

Curacoa = Roatan ( we are in port here for 16 hours - so rent a car and do westpunt and then do some stuff in willemstad later in the day/evening)

Aruba - 4x4 tour and snorkel

Bonaire is slightly better than Curacao. It has recovered from the devasation from the direct hot from 12 yrs. ago when Hurricane Mitch hit there and damaged coral down to 8-10 ft. Belize out at the Blue Hole is the best in Noth America with Tobago Caye in the Grenadines a close second but it is a small area you only go to once. The best island in the Caribbean is still St. John despite the coral bleaching from global warmimg and polution. The areas near Hawks Nest, Turtle Bay, Watermelon Key are very good but they are no match for being on the reef in Belize or Honduras. If you go to Curacao and it is a weekday the bays I refer to are lovely and quite during the week and with a rental car you caneasily get to them. But Capt. Goodlife is a character and a fixture and really knows the immedu=iate off-shore places that you cannot get to from the beaches of the bays. So 2-3 hours with him then going on to 1 or 2 bays on your own for 3 hours would be an interesting experience if you do not go to Bonaire. I hope that helps. this year we are staying on board when the Oceania gets to Samana it has nothing to offer.

I noticed someone recommended Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk. The problem for me is they take a ton of people on their boats. What I am doing in each port is chartering my own boat and licensed captain for 3 hours with the condition that he will make 2 one (1) hour stops atb the best reef areas. It cost $300 in Grand Turk but I was able to get thus far to get others on my cruise to join me by listing under my cruise and though we are not going until the end of Nov. I have all boats shared for 5 snorkels except in one port. The rental costs varied from $270-$400 and the boats were 26-35 ft. power boats.

While the snorkeling in Aruba is not on a par with the other isles mentioned, there is a tour to the wreck Antilla in maybe 30 - 40' of water which features very large parrot fish - the wreck makes a nice picture site.

My last CCL snorkel tour in Grand Turk featured lots of live coral, then a shallow water interaction with wild sting rays while our group was circled by a lemon shark. Quite interesting!

My favorite was Shark Ray alley off Belize, almost reminded me of the Moorea coral gardens off the Sheraton. The most exotic snorkel spot I've ever been to was in the Bora Bora lagoon: step off the raft of our overwater bungalow and saw eels, a 5' octopus, tuna/ bonita, and maybe 30 other species of fish. Liked it so much we returned there 2 more times!

Samana - We are going here in Nov. Haven't been before. From my research, it is not the safest place. We have gone off on our own on many islands, so we're not timid. But this is one place we decided it's best to stay with a group and do a ship excursion. I was unable to find any independent excursions.

Just to clarify matters. When you mentioned that you were unable to find any independent exursions, I suggested you research Tour Samana with Terry. That was not for a snorkel specific tour.

He does general touring, but can refer you to local dive shops if that is what you're looking for.

When I asked Terry about snorkeling, he said he could include some time in a tour for that, but that the quality of the experience would not match the ABC islands later in our cruise on the Noordam, and that we would be better off saving our snorkeling for another day.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you guys for the input - so many fun places to go! Yeah its tough narrowing down vacation spots - I am sure in reality that we will probably have a great time anywhere.

I would like to make it to St. John at some point. We are definitely planning a French Polynesia trip for a few years down the road - just not feasible for the 12-16 month time point. I cannot wait to snorkel there.

With us taking our non-snorkeler friends (at least not yet - hope that we will get them hooked!) its hard to say. I loved the coral in Belize, but the thought of taking a boat out every time we want to snorkel and to be on someone else's time frame is almost a deal breaker for a week-long trip.

Roatan is soooo beautiful and I love the shore access - I just don't think there is enough going on on the island to keep our "intellectual" friends (their description) stimulated for a week. I, however, would totally go there for a week on my own (with DH).

This is why we were thinking a split between Curacao and Bonaire might be a good fit because we could do some cultural and history stuff in Curacao and snorkel and then do some snorkeling and other outdoorsy stuff in Bonaire for a few days. Still working on this, but I also like cruising and these would all be brand new ports for us so that is fun too. ( I worry about taking a 10 day trip to somewhere I have never been - but gosh I love to snorkel). It also seems like there is some great shore and boat snorkeling from both of these places - which really makes a nice mix for us.

I do want to do an Eastern Itinerary (if you look at my sig - you can see I am a western junkie) but I worry that I can't get as good of a snorkeling itinerary -but I guess I am still open for suggestions.

Sorry to think out loud! :)

This is why we were thinking a split between Curacao and Bonaire might be a good fit because we could do some cultural and history stuff in Curacao and snorkel and then do some snorkeling and other outdoorsy stuff in Bonaire for a few days. Still working on this, but I also like cruising and these would all be brand new ports for us so that is fun too. ( I worry about taking a 10 day trip to somewhere I have never been - but gosh I love to snorkel). It also seems like there is some great shore and boat snorkeling from both of these places - which really makes a nice mix for us.

Sorry to think out loud! :)

This sounds like a great option to me. We purchased a book titled Adventure Guide to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao by Lynne Sullivan before our trip to Aruba. It is a well written guide to the islands by an author who lives a part of each year in the ABC islands and part in Sedona, Arizona. Last year, we actually met her husband and chatted for a while under an awning in a sudden downpour in Sedona!! Didn't realize the connection until I pulled the book out to look at options for our port call to Curacao this December and reread the 'About the Author' section. :)

There is a complete section of each of the islands and it inlcudes a wide variety of options so I'm sure you could find plenty of snorkeling beaches and other (more intellectual :D) pursuits for your friends.

There seem to be quite a few beaches for shore snorkeling in both Bonaire and Curacao.

My vote is to just pick something and go...how bad can it be if you are on vacation!!! :cool:

Editing this post to note that I hope I am not making any posting violations by recommending an actual paper book instead of an online resource!! Heeheee

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!

Harry Travels - I appreciate your honest feedback as well - do you mind to contrast Bonaire and Curacao to Roatan and Belize? Like I said before, we were initially thinking about doing ten days split between the two. If you were doing a land vaca in the caribbean what island would you pick for snorkeling?

On the Legend we had 4 stops but all were really good snorkel spots

(with Coz being our least favorite for snorkeling) This cruise has 6 stops and it seems like 3 our good for snorkel, 2 are so so and one is non existant. Plust we get an extra sea day to relaxe. We were kinda hoping that the itinerary would work out like this

Half Moon Cay = relaxing and teaching our friends how to snorkel, then later making it out to the shipwreck other people talk about on our own.

Grand Turk = Cozumel (have to take a boat out)

Samana - no idea (probably snorkel even if it kinda sucks)

Bonaire= Belize (take boat to klein bonaire then shore snorkel within walking or short taxi ride of the pier)

Curacoa = Roatan ( we are in port here for 16 hours - so rent a car and do westpunt and then do some stuff in willemstad later in the day/evening)

Aruba - 4x4 tour and snorkel

I can add my two cents in. We have snorkeled Klein Bonaire and it was great. Just took a water taxi over. Absolutely clear water! We beach snorkeled in Grand Turk on the rocky side of the port and saw lots of fish but that's about it. I would definitely recommend a trip to the Antilla in Aruba. It's quite cool to swim over the edge of the ship and look straight down. My only complaint is that the tours usually don't stay out there long enough.

We did the PG cruise several years back, and had the best snorkel experience ever doing a drift snorkel off the coast of Huahine. Did some practice first in Tahiti from our bungalow (DH first time with a new mask) but there wasn't anything to see there but sea urchins. There is also fun snorkeling from Bora Bora, we saw lots of stingrays there and some reef sharks.

Archived