New Passport Requirements

andreabean0929

Whenever I am going to be in a country other than my own, I make sure to have my passport. I can’t understand the argument of not wanting to ‘waste the money’ on getting one. If you can afford to cruise/drink/do shore excursions, you can certainly afford a passport.

I am also always amazed at how many people only ever leave the country on a cruise and never else, so don’t feel like they will ever need a passport. I guess I figured most folks who cruise regularly would also do other trips outside the states while not on cruises that would require a passport, but apparently that’s not the case.

Whenever I am going to be in a country other than my own, I make sure to have my passport. I can’t understand the argument of not wanting to ‘waste the money’ on getting one. If you can afford to cruise/drink/do shore excursions, you can certainly afford a passport.

I am also always amazed at how many people only ever leave the country on a cruise and never else, so don’t feel like they will ever need a passport. I guess I figured most folks who cruise regularly would also do other trips outside the states while not on cruises that would require a passport, but apparently that’s not the case.

been cruising since 91' and have done 20+ cruises and have not vacationed out of the country other than on the cruises. Had a passport since 02'.

Bill

^^^Well, some people do have a very very tight budget-it's not necessarily true that because they can afford a cruise, they can also afford a passport. Cutting it that close would not be comfortable for me, but there are those who are okay with that.

Also, when you enjoy traveling, it is hard to imagine doing the same vacation over and over again and limiting oneself to cruise ports. Some people have different levels of adventure and curiosity about the world. I think they are missing out, but each to his own, especially if they are happy.

I do agree with this. Another point being missed here is that the US is extremely lax when it comes to documentation/passports/etc. Other countries are not. Americans are lulled into a false sense of security about the US's ability to help you out in a foreign country. They will try their best but you are subject to foreign laws. Your "rights" as an American citizen are not honored in other countries. You are subject to "THEIR" cultural options of you and their laws. "No fair, they can't do that, it's discrimination" means NOTHING in other countries. Yes they can discriminate against you, yes they can arrest you and hold you without formal charges (in Italy, that time frame is 1 year), yes they can stop you unjustly and demand a passport, yes they can stop you from entering their country when you arrive on the plane because they find something about you they don't like.

When you travel outside of the USA, you will quickly figure out that other countries have a love/hate relationship regarding Americans and that passport is your ticket home. The good thing is, they don't want YOU in their country so they often have no trouble helping you get out.

Again this is an apples to oranges comparison. We are talking about the Caribbean here not Europe where a passport has always been required. In the Caribbean a large percentage of their economies are made from tourism. None of these countries would risk their tourism with the kind of actions you are describing. It would not take long for cruise lines to stop visiting such ports.

None of these countries require a cruise passenger to have a passport to visit their country it is the U.S. that may require one to get back into the United States if a flight is involved.

Again this is an apples to oranges comparison. We are talking about the Caribbean here not Europe where a passport has always been required. In the Caribbean a large percentage of their economies are made from tourism. None of these countries would risk their tourism with the kind of actions you are describing. It would not take long for cruise lines to stop visiting such ports.

None of these countries require a cruise passenger to have a passport to visit their country it is the U.S. that may require one to get back into the United States if a flight is involved.

Actually, the fact is that the only reason that we don't have to have a passport for Caribbean cruises is that the Organization of Caribbean Nations has agreed to WAIVE the passport requirements for cruise ship passengers staying on an island less than 24 hours. So passport ARE required, even for cruise passengers, but that requirement is waived for NOW. Within the last 5 years that Organization DID seriously discuss removing the cruise ship passenger waiver. What the US decides is acceptable to leave and re-enter the US has NO bearing whatsoever on what any other nation on the planet can require of visitors to their nation. And they may change their requirements at any time their sovereign nation decides to do so.

Whenever I am going to be in a country other than my own, I make sure to have my passport. I can’t understand the argument of not wanting to ‘waste the money’ on getting one. If you can afford to cruise/drink/do shore excursions, you can certainly afford a passport. I can afford to get a passport. I do not wish to purchase one because it is not required and, in my opinion, the risk of needing one on my planned closed-looped cruise is not great enough to justify the cost of purchasing one.

I am also always amazed at how many people only ever leave the country on a cruise and never else, so don’t feel like they will ever need a passport. If the time comes when I am going on a vacation that requires a passport, then I will purchase one. At this point in time, we are enjoying our cruises and US land based vacations. There is much to see in our own country too. I guess I figured most folks who cruise regularly would also do other trips outside the states while not on cruises that would require a passport, but apparently that’s not the case.

Why would you assume that the people not getting passports or on this board for that matter cruise regularly? I have had no desire to travel outside of the area that I would need passports for yet. I still have plenty to see around here. I didn't even get out of the state of Michigan until my honeymoon 20+ years ago. I like cruising, but I won't say for certain I will cruise again after my next one or that I will travel to other foreign countries. I don't know what my future vacation plans may hold. If I plan a vacation that requires a passport, then I'll purchase a passport. I'm sure there are many like me who do not feel the the risk of traveling on a closed-loop cruise once every couple of years (or once in a lifetime) is not great enough to justify the cost of a passport. Our choice.

You never know what is going to happen and I have seen it first hand what kind of pain it can cause when you have a family member who has an unexpected heart attack while on a cruise and you can't get home until the ship docks. You just never know when you are going to need it and I hope that your luck never runs out.

I'm willing to take the risk for this. When we cruise, I tell everyone if something happens before we get on the ship, we will head home immediately. Which actually happened on our last planned cruise. DGM passed away the day before we were to sail so we turned around and drove home. I also tell everyone that once we are on the ship, we are gone for the duration. Most of our cruises are only 5 days, with just a couple of ports. Chances are it would take us just as long to make arrangements to get home from one of these ports as it would for us to finish the cruise and head home. It would take the fun right out of it for us, but that is life sometimes. Again, this our choice whether or not to take that risk...the government allows us to make that choice.

Actually, the fact is that the only reason that we don't have to have a passport for Caribbean cruises is that the Organization of Caribbean Nations has agreed to WAIVE the passport requirements for cruise ship passengers staying on an island less than 24 hours. So passport ARE required, even for cruise passengers, but that requirement is waived for NOW. Within the last 5 years that Organization DID seriously discuss removing the cruise ship passenger waiver. What the US decides is acceptable to leave and re-enter the US has NO bearing whatsoever on what any other nation on the planet can require of visitors to their nation. And they may change their requirements at any time their sovereign nation decides to do so.

I think you have it backwards it was a culmination of the Association of Caribbean States and others in that region that petitioned the United States to waive the passport reqirement that the WHTI was about to impose. Here is an excerpt from one of the studies :

"The study concluded that in the Caribbean, as much as US$2.6 billion of visitor export earnings and more than 188,000 Travel & Tourism jobs could be at risk. These findings, as well as the CHTA Official Position Statement, were submitted to the US Department of Homeland Security.

In September 2005, the US Department of Homeland Security announced a delay of one year in the implementation of passport requirements for US citizens returning from the Caribbean. The CHTA used this opportunity to collaborate with all public and private sector partners of the Caribbean hotel and tourism industry to educate prospective US visitors of the impending requirements.

The US requirements for returning passengers by air eventually came into effect on January 23rd, 2007, while the rule for cruise passengers was delayed until June 2009 and the date for land travelers to Canada and Mexico was fixed for January 2008."

I'm willing to take the risk for this. When we cruise, I tell everyone if something happens before we get on the ship, we will head home immediately. Which actually happened on our last planned cruise. DGM passed away the day before we were to sail so we turned around and drove home. I also tell everyone that once we are on the ship, we are gone for the duration. Most of our cruises are only 5 days, with just a couple of ports. Chances are it would take us just as long to make arrangements to get home from one of these ports as it would for us to finish the cruise and head home. It would take the fun right out of it for us, but that is life sometimes. Again, this our choice whether or not to take that risk...the government allows us to make that choice.

As stated in my previous post......the US government and the governments of the counties you set foot in are different, the extent of which can be dramatic depending on your situation.

OK, let me summarize here, if I possibly can:

1. OP saw some wording on a cruiseline website, made him/her think the cruise passport rules were changing soon, but....They. Are. Not.

2. Many people have strong Personal Opinions about whether one should or should not use a passport on a cruise even if it is not required by law. These run the gamut:

-cost (annualized or not)

-ease of use

-chances of emergencies

-probability of chances of emergencies

-potential for future terrorism

-combined with cruise terrorism in the last 25 years

-individual rights

-whims of foreign governments

-whims of the US government

-the Boy Scout motto

-and Just Because

3. Many people are completely baffled by how other people decide to:

-spend their money

-evaluate risk

-spend their money

-purchase insurance

-raise their kids

-spend their money

-do anything that is not the way you do it

4. The likelihood of changing someone else's opinion on passports decreases proportionally with the amount of vitriole, invective and opinionated statements made about passports.

5. The best we can hope for is individual, informed decisions. To each their own. You only have to make the right decision for yourself.

6. You do not have to sway anyone else to your opinion. There are no Brownie Points, you do not get an extra cruise day, there is no one right answer, you will not live longer or go to cruise heaven when you die.

I think that just about covers this and every other Passport thread I have seen in the last few years, and I see almost all of them.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and I am sure someone else will feel compelled to post an alternative viewpoint. Just try and do it nicely without all the finger-pointing and postural huffing and puffing...(re-read item 6):rolleyes:

As stated in my previous post......the US government and the governments of the counties you set foot in are different, the extent of which can be dramatic depending on your situation.

The next cruise I have planned stops in one foreign country, for a period of 8 hours, that currently allows me to visit from a cruise ship without a passport....I think I'll take my chances.

You will never convince people unless they are world travelers just how ill thought of Americans are outside the United States. They might beg for your presence for tourist dollars but but think very poorly of you otherwise.

Yes, they can tell you are American without you opening your mouth in Europe.....sloppy dress and the air of entitlement can be seen by Europeans a kilometer away.

Personally, I would not get a pp card either. The are only good for land crossings and unless you travelled to Canada/Mexico by land, which we don't, its pretty useless. We do get travel insurance because the chances of needing that (due to the numerous different events they cover) are much greater than the chances of needing a passport. Since I can get travel insurance for 3-4% of the cost of our trip it is worth the cost. In fact our travel insurance is paying for our cruise in November as a replacement for the cruise we missed in July due to a family death the day before our cruise.

Think about what you just said here. You had a family death just before your cruise, what would have happened, if that death was just after you left on your cruise, without a passport you wouldn't have gotten home so easy.

Think about what you just said here. You had a family death just before your cruise, what would have happened, if that death was just after you left on your cruise, without a passport you wouldn't have gotten home so easy.

We would not have gone home...The cruise would not have been as fun, but again...that is life. We would have greived together on the ship and greived with other family members when we got home. Many in our family were surprised we turned around when we did, since we had already driven 14 hours to get to New York. We made the final decision to come home (after many family members urged us to go on) after DS(16) said "we can go on a vacation anytime but we only have one Great Grandma". If we were already on the ship...that wouldn't have been an option and we would have dealt with it in our own way. Even with a passport our first port stop would have been 2 days away and it could have taken us just as long to arrange transportation from there as it would take us to finish the cruise and then travel home.

We always tell people before we leave for a cruise...if something happens before we get on the ship we will turn around and come home...once we are on the ship we are gone for the duration. Since most of our cruises are around 5 days, I doubt we would get home much quicker from a port anyways.

Chances are it would take us just as long to make arrangements to get home from one of these ports as it would for us to finish the cruise and head home.

There are very few ports in the Caribbean that would take you longer than 24 hours to get home if you needed to be.

You are correct that it is your choice and I don't think anyone has said that it isn't. I think most are pointing out here that it is better to be safe than sorry. It is kinda like having insurance on your house and car. I have never had a reason to use either but if and when it does happen I will be glad that I do.

There are very few ports in the Caribbean that would take you longer than 24 hours to get home if you needed to be.

You are correct that it is your choice and I don't think anyone has said that it isn't. I think most are pointing out here that it is better to be safe than sorry. It is kinda like having insurance on your house and car. I have never had a reason to use either but if and when it does happen I will be glad that I do.

I agree it is like insurance. With my house and car it is required. When traveling I do a risk/cost analysis. I do purchase travel insurance because the cost (to me) is reasonable for the risks it covers...I do not purchase a passport because the cost (again to me) is not reasonable for the risks it covers. The level of risk you are willing to carry and at what cost (if not required) is a personal decision.

I have no problem with people purchasing a passport...I have a problem with people telling others that they have to or they should just because they feel the risk is too high. I think everyone needs to see both sides of the coin before they decide for themselves whether or not the risk is worth the cost.

I wonder about those so dead set against getting a passport. When I get notices of 16 day cruise to Europe, hotel stay, and return airfare for $1599. pp, do they just read that and say, "Well I'm not getting a passport!" Or a Panama Canal repo cruise at $60. a day. Do they just throw those deals out?

I wonder about those so dead set against getting a passport. When I get notices of 16 day cruise to Europe, hotel stay, and return airfare for $1599. pp, do they just read that and say, "Well I'm not getting a passport!" Or a Panama Canal repo cruise at $60. a day. Do they just throw those deals out?
It has little to do with having a passport or not. You would never know it from these boards, but most Americans get less than two weeks vacation each year. Something like 35% don't take all that they have coming, due to work pressures, and the estimated vacation actually taken per year is only 7 days. So if they get 16 day cruise ads, yes, they toss them out. Not because of the passport, but in spite of it.

And if they happen to get an ad for a 10 day RT to Panama at $600, well, as long as it does not go to Brazil, they can take that with just a BC/ID. If they can take that much vacation time.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html

http://www.braunconsulting.com/bcg/newsletters/winter2004/winter20044.html

CruzVinnieCruz, are you absolutely sure the govt. gives an exception regarding passports if the itinerary is changed and you leave out of one port and return to another?
Don't know if Vinnie, is, but I am. Most of the time the cruiseline has to bus the pax to the originating port for flights and cars anyway, but yes, they do give this situation an exception.

You will never convince people unless they are world travelers just how ill thought of Americans are outside the United States. They might beg for your presence for tourist dollars but but think very poorly of you otherwise.

Yes, they can tell you are American without you opening your mouth in Europe.....sloppy dress and the air of entitlement can be seen by Europeans a kilometer away.

Thats funny cause europeans are easy to spot. They are dressed slovenly, have a cigarette hanging out there mouth and never leave a tip now matter what the custom is, oh and once they smile you will know they are european.:cool:

WE Always take ours,and it makes checking in at airports,trains,cruising,so much easier and faster,;)

Using a passport for id when it is not absolutely necessary is not wise. You might want to take a travel safety 101 course.

Amazing that the French were voted by the Europeans as being the worst tourist in the world.

We have traveled all over the Caribbean and if you think that declaring a personal emergency is getting you on the next plane out of there good luck. Even with a passport you could wait days for an available seat on a flight from some of those small islands.

I don't know what the big deal is about getting a passport. Why would you risk not having one. I say get it now, before you wish you had!:)

You don't know what the big deal about getting a passport :confused:

I can think of one $$$$$$$$$$$$$, some people don't have a lot of spare money to spend and maybe they will never use it again, so why would they spend the money :confused:

We got ours about three years ago, but we knew we would be doing more cruising and knew we were going out of the country so we needed one. My daughter on the other hand has had a tough year with her husband out of a job and her working two jobs that I decided to take her on a cruise to cheer her up. Why should she get a passport :confused: she needs the money to live.

So that my dear is why some people risk not having one. :):)

Archived