Good Restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale

LibertyGirl7

My favorites along the beachfront are Casablanca Cafe and H2O. H2O would be better for teenagers. My friends like Spazio but I haven't tried it. Also, there are a few restaurants in Beach Place (Hooters, Lulu's Bait Shack) that people like but IMO they mostly have a bunch of greasy junk food. A block off the beach is Quarterdeck; not exactly a fine restaurant (it's super casual) but it is very popular, very reasonable and pretty good food. Also a block off the beach is Coconuts which has excellent food (from burgers to fine seafood), on the marina. As long as you stay out of the hotels you don't have to dress up at all. The most popular restaurant in the hotels right now is 954 Steak.

ARUBA!

It's right on the beach at Commercial Blvd.

They have sliding glass doors all around and on breezy days they're open to the beach.

Amazing menu that includes jerk chicken and grouper sandwiches, burgers, lobster salad, aaaagggghhh (sorry, having a Homer Simpson moment.)

Terrific cocktails. Wonderful place to have a relaxed lunch or dinner.

ARUBA!

It's right on the beach at Commercial Blvd.

They have sliding glass doors all around and on breezy days they're open to the beach.

Amazing menu that includes jerk chicken and grouper sandwiches, burgers, lobster salad, aaaagggghhh (sorry, having a Homer Simpson moment.)

Terrific cocktails. Wonderful place to have a relaxed lunch or dinner.

Now there you go confusing me again, RB...

You talk about how wonderful a chain hotel like the Westin Diplomat in the tourist trap of Hollywood is and then recommend a restaurant in heart of Lauderdale By the Sea.

There's hope for you yet! :cool:

My favorites along the beachfront are Casablanca Cafe and H2O. H2O would be better for teenagers. My friends like Spazio but I haven't tried it. Also, there are a few restaurants in Beach Place (Hooters, Lulu's Bait Shack) that people like but IMO they mostly have a bunch of greasy junk food. A block off the beach is Quarterdeck; not exactly a fine restaurant (it's super casual) but it is very popular, very reasonable and pretty good food. Also a block off the beach is Coconuts which has excellent food (from burgers to fine seafood), on the marina. As long as you stay out of the hotels you don't have to dress up at all. The most popular restaurant in the hotels right now is 954 Steak.

Hey RC...I'll be in FLL during Dine-Out this year..YEAH!!!:D I see 954 isn't on the list. But should I try 3030 or do Himmarshee? Or which other plac ehas the best value for the buck for Dine Out on a Friday night? BTW, I'll be hitting Dona Raquel in Pompano on my way up to Boca earlier in the week. Crew

Hey RC...I'll be in FLL during Dine-Out this year..YEAH!!!:D I see 954 isn't on the list. But should I try 3030 or do Himmarshee? Or which other plac ehas the best value for the buck for Dine Out on a Friday night? BTW, I'll be hitting Dona Raquel in Pompano on my way up to Boca earlier in the week. Crew

Most of the deals are just Sun-Thurs (and not on boat show weekend), but Himmershee is doing Fridays and is offering a good selection. Click on each restaurant to view the menus and restrictions: http://www.sunny.org/dineout/

I have placed astericks next to the ones below that are most upmarket.

I haven't had a chance to view the menus, but my recommendations are:

Blue Moon*

Cafe Vico

Capital Grille*

China Grill*

Coco

Galanga

Grille 66*

Himmershee

Johnny V*

3030*

Trina*

Trucluck*(this one I haven't tried but it looks nice and people love it)

The others either don't impress me or I've had negative feedback from others.

Dona Raquel is excellent, Im there once a week! Casablanca Cafe is my favourite Lauderdale beach restaurant.

Now there you go confusing me again, RB...

You talk about how wonderful a chain hotel like the Westin Diplomat in the tourist trap of Hollywood is and then recommend a restaurant in heart of Lauderdale By the Sea.

Ha... Isn't Miami Beach to Lauderdale by the sea pretty much one ginormous tourist trap:confused: Take out the tourists and you've wiped out the economy of southeastern Florida.

Our last trip to Fort Lauderdale we enjoyed Casablanca Cafe http://www.casablancacafeonline.com/ Check it out. Great food, lots of choices on the menu, fun atmosphere.

Ha... Isn't Miami Beach to Lauderdale by the sea pretty much one ginormous tourist trap:confused: Take out the tourists and you've wiped out the economy of southeastern Florida.

Believe it or not, while tourism accounts for a substantial portion of the south Florida economy, there is a thriving economy that is based on being a portal to Latin America. Beyond the ghettos of chain hotels and chain restaurants, there are neighborhoods where actual residents live, work and enjoy leisure.

Those of us who live or lived in South Florida get our hackles up when we hear folks go on and on about how great a chain restaurant is, especially when we know that there are tons of locally owned restaurants with great, authentic regional food.

I'm not a big explorer when it comes to a place to lay my head, but when it comes to my tummy, I'm not going to be happy with the Cheesecake Factory. I'd much rather go to Vila's in Oakland Park (where we had our wedding reception). Or even better, Don Pepe's, off of 42nd Street in Miami, down among the warehouses, where you need to know a bit of Spanish, but the food is just like home.

So, while there are tourist traps in the places where tourists go, we're hoping you come here to get the real skinny on where to eat, what to see and a nice clean place to sleep.

Most of the deals are just Sun-Thurs (and not on boat show weekend), but Himmershee is doing Fridays and is offering a good selection. Click on each restaurant to view the menus and restrictions: http://www.sunny.org/dineout/

I have placed astericks next to the ones below that are most upmarket.

I haven't had a chance to view the menus, but my recommendations are:

Blue Moon*

Cafe Vico

Capital Grille*

China Grill*

Coco

Galanga

Grille 66*

Himmershee

Johnny V*

3030*

Trina*

Trucluck*(this one I haven't tried but it looks nice and people love it)

The others either don't impress me or I've had negative feedback from others.

I've eaten at Trulucks in Houston. The snapper was very fresh as I recall. 8 crab claws looks interesting. I'll wait to se what Johnny v offers if they're doing Fridays. I'm not there during boat week, TG.

Crew

Our last trip to Fort Lauderdale we enjoyed Casablanca Cafe http://www.casablancacafeonline.com/ Check it out. Great food, lots of choices on the menu, fun atmosphere.

Nope...

Lauderdale By the Sea is an oasis in a vast wasteland.

Believe it or not, while tourism accounts for a substantial portion of the south Florida economy, there is a thriving economy that is based on being a portal to Latin America. Beyond the ghettos of chain hotels and chain restaurants, there are neighborhoods where actual residents live, work and enjoy leisure.

Those of us who live or lived in South Florida get our hackles up when we hear folks go on and on about how great a chain restaurant is, especially when we know that there are tons of locally owned restaurants with great, authentic regional food.

I'm not a big explorer when it comes to a place to lay my head, but when it comes to my tummy, I'm not going to be happy with the Cheesecake Factory. I'd much rather go to Vila's in Oakland Park (where we had our wedding reception). Or even better, Don Pepe's, off of 42nd Street in Miami, down among the warehouses, where you need to know a bit of Spanish, but the food is just like home.

So, while there are tourist traps in the places where tourists go, we're hoping you come here to get the real skinny on where to eat, what to see and a nice clean place to sleep.

RB...

South Florida is no different in that respect than any other region in the US whether it's Davenport, Iowa or Rancho Cucamonga, California. There are chain hotels, chain restaurants and chain retail establishments. Most people like to know what they are going to get because they fear the unknown of choosing a mom & pop establishment.

So...If you really want to boast about independents, no chains, unique and local then it would be anything in Lauderdale By the Sea by a nautical mile over the tourist ghetto of Hollywood, Florida.

How about Quarterdeck Restaurants. They look like a nice casual experience with something for everyone. I was thinking about trying them on our next trip in November. Restaurant dot com has gift certificates for this place. Anyone with an opinion? Salty Dog?

No need to be nasty.

How am I being nasty??

I think you're being very defensive.

Aruba is more of a bar than a restaurant with its boom-boom party on the beach atmosphere and that's why it's popular with the tourists. Aruba has a very common menu that's more about alcohol than food . Local discerning gastronomes prefer to eat elsewhere in Lauderdale By the Sea.

How about Quarterdeck Restaurants. They look like a nice casual experience with something for everyone. I was thinking about trying them on our next trip in November. Restaurant dot com has gift certificates for this place. Anyone with an opinion? Salty Dog?

It's OK for a neighborhood bar and grill. I believe its an off-shoot of Flanigan's Bar & Grill...

http://www.flanigans.net/index.html

How am I being nasty??

I think you're being very defensive.

Aruba is more of a bar than a restaurant with its boom-boom party on the beach atmosphere and that's why it's popular with the tourists. Aruba has a very common menu that's more about alcohol than food . Local discerning gastronomes prefer to eat elsewhere in Lauderdale By the Sea.

As a local (I live on Las Olas), we love Aruba. I'm not sure what you mean by 'boom-boom party on the beach'....there's always families there. The menu is huge with a little bit of everything. I recommend the bimini bread and long island iced teas!

For the original poster, we eat at Spazio all the time, and it's in a great spot on the beach off Las Olas.

Take a look at reviews in: www.yelp.com for possible eating places.

My favorite was Wolfie's Deli in Hallendale but it is closed up now.

I miss the Rascal House in Sunny Isles!

As a local (I live on Las Olas), we love Aruba. I'm not sure what you mean by 'boom-boom party on the beach'....there's always families there. The menu is huge with a little bit of everything. I recommend the bimini bread and long island iced teas!

We love going for happy hour on Fridays for the free food.

However, we've gone there for years for a late lunch and Margaritas. I'd classify it as 70% restaurant and 30% bar.

Arubas is VERY family friendly. We go there because it is so family friendly.

Archived