Stateroom Assignments?

Fat Bottom Gurl

We never chose an actually stateroom when booking with the exception of the type of stateroom (ocean view unobstructed). It's just 4 days until we sail and I have my boarding pass and my luggage tags, but there is no stateroom on them.

So - does this mean that we won't be assigned a room until we check in? And if that is the case - I guess our luggage will be late arriving.

I think I have bought everything I need from my trip, much to my husbands horror - he is sure I am about to bankrupt us.

I frequently book guarantees, and you likely will be in the same catagory of cabin, meaning, it is very rare to go from an inside to an outside. But you can move "up" in an inside- meaning higher floor. Don't expect much. :)

I have found out my cabin numbers at the dock, along with months ahead. As already suggested, contact your booking agent and see if you have been assigned. IF not, you will get something at the dock. Just go to the porters, they will have a list, and make sure you are tagged correctly with your dropped luggaged. Tip. :)

I wonder what would happen if the rooms were all fully booked though. Would they then upgrade you? What is the advantage between no selecting a room during booking vs. selecting a room?

2% owl?

Our TA suggested that by not selecting a room, except for type of room, that an upgrade was more likely because it means you have not "locked" yourself into a room and are flexible. Because we have paid for an unobstructed ocean view, we cannot be demoted, but, if others wanting ocean views asked for specific rooms and they are all taken by the time we sail, because we have not requested a specific room, we "might" be upgraded.

Whatever - I just hope I don't have to end up sleeping on a couch. :-)

Our TA suggested that by not selecting a room, except for type of room, that an upgrade was more likely because it means you have not "locked" yourself into a room and are flexible. Because we have paid for an unobstructed ocean view, we cannot be demoted, but, if others wanting ocean views asked for specific rooms and they are all taken by the time we sail, because we have not requested a specific room, we "might" be upgraded.
Although that part is true enough, if your TA had been completely honest with you she also would have told you that you take a risk when you book a guarantee because you may end up with the worst cabin in the category, one that nobody else wants.

The standard advice before booking a guarantee is first to look at all the cabins in your category and if you decide that you would be satisfied with any of them, then go ahead and book the guarantee.

What is the advantage between no selecting a room during booking vs. selecting a room?
The advantage for the passenger is saving some money because guarantees are typically priced lower than any cabin you can select yourself in the same category.

The big advantage is for the cruise line (and also for a TA holding a block of cabins) because it gives them an easy way to move people around as they wish so they can sell more cabins.

Archived