Hurricane headaches--what happens to shore excursions?

remydiva

I very nearly booked a last minute cheap Caribbean cruise that would have been this week but didn't when the airfare turned out to be $$$$$$. With the current situation of Earl and Fiona, I'm glad I didn't.

My question is for those that have had their travels disrupted because of hurricanes and had their itinerary change with either new ports added or ports done in a different order, what happens to your booked shore excursions?

If booked through the cruise line I realize financially you'd be ok but does the cruise line scramble to reorganize the excursions so the Tues crowd that shows up on Thurs for instance has an excursion? What about if an Eastern itinerary becomes a Western (happend this week) and you end up in a brand new port? :eek:

I'm guessing that if you book privately you may be out the money? :mad:

Keeping passengers safe, entertained and fed I'm sure are the cruise lines #1 priority but I did wonder about the scheduling and rescheduling of shore excursions.....:confused:

For the cruiselines excursions, they're pretty good about working through the details and getting as much put in place for the new port/timing as possible. We've had reduced offerings when ports had to be changed and seen everything sell out quickly, but there's always been at least some choices. Frequently we just stay on the ship or wander the port if there's been a change, we've been to just about every stop in the Caribbean already. As for the private tours, it depends on your vendor. Some will keep the deposit and that's it, while others may have more strict cancellation policies and attempt to keep every penny you've given them. During hurricane season, if we book excursions it's either through the ship or with a vendor that doesn't require full payment in advance.

Booking private non-refundable excursions on any cruise is a chance you take. If you booked through the ship, they will refund the full amount for excursions booked directly with Princess. If your ports are switched, the cruise lines do everything they can to offer different excursions for passengers to choose from.

We never book prepaid private tours just in case the port gets changed

If you book with reputable tour guide they will take payment at the end of your tour, if you do not make it to the port if you can notify them that is great but they usually know when the ship will not be there as scheduled

If the port is affected to the extent that the cruise ship isn't visiting it might be likely that the tour company would refund, even if it's a non-refundable non-ship cruise (they might not be running any excursions due to the same weather that's keeping the ship away). Trip interruption insurance might or might not be helpful if theer isn't such leniency.

It would be silly to book a nonrefundable private tour while on a cruise, since ports can be missed. Just make sure it's in the agreement in writing, that you'll get your money back if the ship misses the port, or if, due to weather, etc., you are unable to take the tour. Most companies have this as a standard policy, IME.

Usually, we do things on our own, but the last time I booked a private tour, it was one where my money was refunded if we couldn't make that port, and good thing, because that port stop was missed, due to weather.

We generally book private tours. We prefer ones that accept cash payment in person at the end of the tour, so if the ship cant dock or the weather is inclement, we don't have to worry. However, we will book with someone who requires payment or a deposit in advance if they are a reputable guide who comes highly recommended on cruise critic, and they provide in writing a statement that they will issue a refund if the ship misses the port that day.

Archived