Pre Bookable Seats To Barbados

ROSEBASKETS

P&O are introducing prebookable seats for their flights to the Caribbean this winter. They are to charge £25 per person to book. You can only book your seat online through your cruise personaliser and the system will be up and running from the 9th September.

My problem is that my Autistic son kicks the back of the airplane seat in front of him frequently on flights. Passengers with disabilities usually sit at the front of the aircraft and so he just kicks the bulkhead which annoys no one.

P&O state that all passengers need to prebook their seats and pay the £25 irrespective of any disabilities. Passengers who do not will be allocated seats on a first come first served basis at check in.

I'm not bothered where we sit and I am not prepared to pay £100 for seats (which I have already paid for when I booked) I am however concerned for the health and safety of the passenger sat in front of us on a 9 hour flight to Barbados (and back) whom I would hate to ruin their holiday because of "the system won't let me do anything about it" answer I received from P&O.

So let me apologise now to the extremely unlucky person who may have paid £25 to sit infront of someone who constantly kicks the seat they have paid for. Please be aware that I have tried everything to stop this from happening (short of drugging my child or cancelling my holiday)

If you are disabled and want to sit in front so you are near the toilets or don't have to walk up the isles please book on the 9th Sept. because P&O won't do anything to help.

I don't think you can delegate such responsibility to others, everybody else will have paid for their holiday and have the right to expect a flight without someone else inflicting discomfort upon them.

In my case my wife has chronic back problems that make any long flight uncomfortable enough without having to tolerate such antisocial behaviour (irrespective of the reasons). This has however happened to us in the past where even before the flight took off the kid behind was kicking the seat .. in that instance I asked very politely that he should stop, but he did not, so I told the stewardess that she either needed to put the family off the plane or find us alternative seats .. we got a free upgrade to first class .. so the issue was resolved.

In a similar situation a friend of mine made the mother swap seats with him ... so at least she spent the flight being kicked by her own child .. so the issue was resolved.

There are other resolutions as well.

Ken and Julie, thanks for your support, obviously children with special needs aren't as important as those with physical disabilities. Ignorance is bliss and you are blissful.

You told the stewardess to put the family off the plane...... what a sensitive person you are. People shouldn't "tolerate antisocial behavior whatever the reason", so dribbling geriatrics or people who have a bowel condition at dinner shouldn't be allowed to eat with the rest of us because they can't feed properly or smell?

Blissful:rolleyes:

I would gladly be kicked all the way to Barbados, but the person who swapped with me would have to put up with the stains from the food and drink and crayons as well as being elbowed and sprawled on ...... I choose to be kicked

Ken and Julie, thanks for your support, obviously children with special needs aren't as important as those with physical disabilities. Ignorance is bliss and you are blissful.

You told the stewardess to put the family off the plane...... what a sensitive person you are. People shouldn't "tolerate antisocial behavior whatever the reason", so dribbling geriatrics or people who have a bowel condition at dinner shouldn't be allowed to eat with the rest of us because they can't feed properly or smell?

Blissful:rolleyes:

I would gladly be kicked all the way to Barbados, but the person who swapped with me would have to put up with the stains from the food and drink and crayons as well as being elbowed and sprawled on ...... I choose to be kicked

A bit harsh Rosie considering that you're not sufficiently concerned about other passenger's welfare enough to stump up the dosh to reserve the seats in the first place:rolleyes:.

On a more positive note, have you tried to contact the relevant department in P&O to discuss your son's requirements? I don't know the the name of the section but there will be one that deals with disabilities. I hope they are able to help you.

Debbie:)

Another way to get more money out of us. Hmmmmm.

Last week we were on a long haul flight from Beijing to Dubai, then after 4 hrs, another flight from Dubai to Glasgow. I was the unfortunate person who couldn't get any sleep because a little girl behind me kept kicking out.

Rather than speak to the parents and have confrontation, I pressed the call bell ,complained to the steward and the steward then asked her parents to stop her kicking.

The really annoying thing for me was that the parents slept for most of the journey while their 2 under 5s were wide awake ( alive and kicking!)

I have had 3 children and can sympathise, but I really do hope I get a peaceful trip back from Barbados. It's someone else's turn!:cool:

Caryl

Obviosuly you think your childs special needs are more important than anybody elses special needs ... anybody kicking the back of my wifes seat could (probably would) cause her to end up in hospital and have to miss her holiday ... is that acceptable.

As you say 'Ignorance is bliss and you are blissful.'

You told the stewardess to put the family off the plane...... what a sensitive person you are.
Re-read the post, I politely asked them to get their child to stop it and after several comments along the line of 'now, now darling, stop being so bold' and it had not stopped, I looked to deal with it .. an alternative was to use a technique I once used in a cinema which was to leave the little darling in no doubt that I would separate his head form his shoulders if he continued to do it ...but for some reason parents get a bit weird when you accept the delegation of responsibility that they have made, so I took the only alternative option that came to mind. I was not going to tolerate somebody elses antisocial behaviour for a 12 hour flight. But a compromise was found .. no big deal.

Naturally my dry cleaning bill would be sent to yourself (suitably inflated)

YOU have a problem, and I do not find it acceptable for you to try to delegate YOUR responsibilities onto others with a simple 'tough luck' type of attitude. You can deal with this by contacting P&O, explaining the situation and, IF NECESSARY, paying the appropriate amount to get the seats that you require so as not to inflict discomfort onto someone else.

Another way to get more money out of us. Hmmmmm.

Last week we were on a long haul flight from Beijing to Dubai, then after 4 hrs, another flight from Dubai to Glasgow. I was the unfortunate person who couldn't get any sleep because a little girl behind me kept kicking out.

Rather than speak to the parents and have confrontation, I pressed the call bell ,complained to the steward and the steward then asked her parents to stop her kicking.

The really annoying thing for me was that the parents slept for most of the journey while their 2 under 5s were wide awake ( alive and kicking!)

I have had 3 children and can sympathise, but I really do hope I get a peaceful trip back from Barbados. It's someone else's turn!:cool:

Caryl

I have alot of sympthay for you Cary, we take it in turns to sleep and would never allow our daughter to do such a thing, unfortunately however, no matter how many times we punish our son, he still persists, if it would appease my fellow passengers I could smack him every ten minutes but it still wouldn't stop him doing it because he just doesn't understand. Believe me, if there was a way to stop him doing it I would take the option, but I don't see why I should pay £100 for someone elses comfort when P&O could sort it out for free. Thomsons are providing the plane BUT not responsible for seat allocation. I only hope that the seat in front of him is empty.

We flew back from the Canaries 4 years ago, explained to the stewardess when we boarded, she was really helpful and explained the situation to the couple infront, they were offered premium seats, which they refused because they had paid for the seats they were in. She persisted and tried to explain the situation and told them how uncomfortable they would be for 4 hours plus, but they still refused to move. After 20 minutes, as soon as the seatbelt light went off they buzzed for the sewardess and asked to be moved, smiling, she told them they had already given the seats to someone else!

Some people are more understanding than others!

Obviosuly you think your childs special needs are more important than anybody elses special needs ... anybody kicking the back of my wifes seat could (probably would) cause her to end up in hospital and have to miss her holiday ... is that acceptable.

No I don't! & no it isn't acceptable, that's why I am TRYING to sort it out before we fly. If I didn't give a toss, I wouldn't be trying to sort it out to avoid the situation in the first place would I? The point is the inflexibility of the "system" and the poor organisation of P&O. I have phoned P&O 3 time and the travel agent twice, non of whom can help.

Re-read the post, I politely asked them to get their child to stop it and after several comments along the line of 'now, now darling, stop being so bold' and it had not stopped, I looked to deal with it .. an alternative was to use a technique I once used in a cinema which was to leave the little darling in no doubt that I would separate his head form his shoulders if he continued to do it ...but for some reason parents get a bit weird when you accept the delegation of responsibility that they have made

I'm quite happy to explain to him that I will remove his head from his shoulders, and I could beat him until he was blue, the point is he STILL WOULDN'T GET IT...... I think that your understanding of Autism is limited (and to be fair, most people's is) If you were to punish your dog for peeing, he would still pee no matter how times you punish him, think of it like that, alternatively, if you hit someone with Parkinsons disease for moving everytime they shook would that be appropriate?.

Naturally my dry cleaning bill would be sent to yourself (suitably inflated)

So you would commit fraud would you, say no more! :eek:

Rosebaskets

Did you ever consider doing a Transatlantic crossing to the Caribbean on a different cruise or is this all about school holiday time?

It would probably be a lot less difficult for your family if you were doing Southampton - Southampton

I have met children - and parents of children - with Autism and boy you have a lot to deal with. So many people think your child is just a badly behaved brat and you should deal with him/her. So unfair.

I don't wish to sound condescending, but you sure need and deserve your holiday.

Enjoy and good luck.

Caryl

Well, we are going to bite the bullet and stump up the 50 quid.

I hate the hassle and stress of getting to the airport so early just so that we have seats that are acceptable to us. I couldn't bear to be separated from my first wife for nearly 9 hours :rolleyes:.

So we will stump up the cash, get to the airport later, not book the Airport Lounge, and drink £25 worth of gin in the bars on board from my hip flask. I recon that this strategy will enable me to break even.

Regards

Cb

Rosebaskets

I really feel for you in your situation and cannot believe that P&O cannot offer a solution under the circumstances. Have you tried contacting them through your TA or call customer services to explain the predicament. If they can accommodate your special needs with the comfort of others in mind then everyone will be happy.

The worst possible scenario is that it costs you £25 to achieve and I agree it should not be needed but it is a small price to pay to save any discomfort and distress for you, your family and your son on a long flight and it may be the course to take if all else fails.

Your fellow passengers do not have to understand the problem, they have a right to their comfort also and if you knowingly can act to alleviate it then it is your responsibility to do so.

I hope you can get P&O to listen - they surely have a duty of care to protect everyone in this situation and see that it is not about you exercising some sort of seat choice for your own gain.

I wish you well and hope you all have a well deserved break - dealing with autism is not an easy road and you deserve every assistance.

I'm quite happy to explain to him that I will remove his head from his shoulders, and I could beat him until he was blue, the point is he STILL WOULDN'T GET IT...... I think that your understanding of Autism is limited (and to be fair, most people's is) If you were to punish your dog for peeing, he would still pee no matter how times you punish him, think of it like that, alternatively, if you hit someone with Parkinsons disease for moving everytime they shook would that be appropriate?.

I don't even pretend to understand autism, however that does not mean that I accept it as an excuse for my wife being put in excruciating pain. I expect all responsible parents to ensure their children do not annoy others. And, before you ask, I do not condone corporal punishment of children.

As I said (the bit you cut out) ...

YOU have a problem ....... You can deal with this by contacting P&O [in writing - so allow 28 days], explaining the situation and, IF NECESSARY, paying the appropriate amount to get the seats that you require so as not to inflict discomfort onto your fellow passengers.

BTW, just in case you have not read between the lines, I think you should have a strong case for a pair of bulk head seats so that you or your spouse may sit with the child. Sadly I would have to suggest that the other spouse should sit elsewhere (which may simply mean the row behind) to ensure that others, who may require a bulkhead seat can get one. However that may require you to make a payment (we have no idea of the rules of such payments yet)

As I said (the bit you cut out) ...

YOU have a problem ....... You can deal with this by contacting P&O [in writing - so allow 28 days], explaining the situation and, IF NECESSARY, paying the appropriate amount to get the seats that you require so as not to inflict discomfort onto your fellow passengers.

I DONT have the problem, it's the poor sod in front of me that has the problem. We are quite happy to sit in 2 separate rows, (as we normally do) because we don't expect to sit together in order to let someone else with additional needs sit in the front row (or where ever) as this seems the courteous thing to do

As you have quite rightly pointed out elsewhere there are those who can't manage the plane steps but can run to the coach on arrival to get the front seat BUT it's not my place to decide who is and is not worthy, it's up to the persons own moral compass to decide that.

Though, thanks (in part) to your rather curt comments I have decided not to persue the matter any further and stop worrying about my fellow passengers, we'll sit where we are put and let others (ie those sat in front and in charge of the aircraft) do the worrying, I'll adopt a laissez-faire aproach and only hope that someone like you sits in front:D

Why don't you or your husband sit in front of your child, then he would be kicking one of you, not another traveller? The other person would then be sat with your son. Simples!!!:D

What a good idea, problem solved ;), ah..... but what if some thoughful person thinks this family of 4 should all sit together and we are put in the same row? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

I dont think that £25 each to reserve seats is bad??? Lets face it P & O and providing free drinkks, food and head sets etc!!! When we do normal package holidays we always pre-book seats. Never had a problem. I will be definately pre-booking ours for our cruise in January:D

What is £25pp when compared with the cost of the cruise itself. P&O don't automatically add 15% to the bar bill, nor do they dictate how much you should tip.

I have just read this thread with interest. Why do some people think its a problem for others to solve rather than accepting responsibility, I am eternally thankful that I do not have a child with disabilities but this seems a very selfish attitude.

What is £25pp when compared with the cost of the cruise itself. P&O don't automatically add 15% to the bar bill, nor do they dictate how much you should tip.

I have just read this thread with interest. Why do some people think its a problem for others to solve rather than accepting responsibility, I am eternally thankful that I do not have a child with disabilities but this seems a very selfish attitude.

What responsibility would you like me to accept? I accept that my child has a mental disability in which he is unable to contol his movements. If you booked a coach trip would you then pay £25 to book your seat? If you paid for a train ticket would you then pay an extra £25 to book your seat? I think not!

I'm happy to pay £25, but NOT happy to pay £200 (4 seats at £25 each way)

Why should I pay additional fees? Should the wheelchair bound passenger have to pay?, should the person who needs a wee every 10 minutes pay extra? Should the fatties amonst you pay an extra £199 to sit in premium because they don't fit into the seat and slob over into the agjacent seats?

"Excuse me steward could you move this fat blob as he has eaten too many pies and is bulging into my space and is occupying 1/2 my seat?

Should I pay for my seats and not tip the staff?, hardly fair is it? & I don't give a stuff about a 15% drinks surcharge because I don't drink (hello, disabled child to look after!)

I see that most cruise passengers who comment on here are not sympathetic to children with disabilities, though I expect nothing less, as most are generally "child unfriendley" anyway, just what I expect from the P&O brigade!

I have a touch (well more than that really!) of claustrophobia. That is something I can't help or control but I am just going to swallow my annoyance and pay the money to ensure an aisle seat. This will help me enjoy the flight and others sitting around me! Me in "panic mode" is not much fun!

It is annoying and yet another "add on" extra but if it ensures your peace of mind it is making the best of a bad job! I do understand the needs of your youngster having been in education in a former life. Perhaps your son's helpers would be able to suggest strategies to employ during the flight to help him and yourself.

Hi Rosie,

what date are you flying and from what Airport?

I do sympathise with your predicament, I agree with you that when we are in a Airport lounge you do tend to look around and see if there are any babies on the flight and hope they are not sat next to you, I went on a flight to Malaga recently with my husband, daughter, son in law and 17 month old grandson and he screamed all the way, we all felt so awful for the other passengers and did get some rather dirty looks, so much so that my daughter wont fly again until her son is a wee bit older.

I do think Airlines could be a bit more symathetic with your case and maybe you could ask for a compromise, your child and one carer should not have to pay to pre book your seats whilst your other child and spouse should pay the charge, what do you think?

Regards.

Lynn

I had read most of the comments on this issue last night and tonight I had both of my daughters round for dinner, I told them about your original comments and how heated the topic became, my 22 year old suggested what I proposed earlier about maybe asking P&O to only charge for two in your party and my 26 year old (who is the mother) said they should put all families at the back of the plane so that they feel more comfortable sitting with like minded people,

I dont think you will ever find a solution where everyone is happy but it made a very interesting topic at dinner, I believe you never get anything without asking and I would ask to speak to a Manager at P&O for some sort of compromise.

I wish you and your family a very happy holiday!

Regards.

Lynn

Archived