Pre Bookable Seats To Barbados

ROSEBASKETS

Hi smee

I agree with you, hate it when someone else's stomach is sitting in my lap :)

last time I paid for premier seats the Airline upgraded a family of 6 very loud and uncontrollable chavs next to us and in front of us, I dont agree with upgrading people who have not paid for the privilege.

Lynn

Lynn, thank you for your kind words. You must have been so angry when the Chavs were put in premium when they had not paid for it. Some people do get more than they deserve!

Both your daughters seem to have far more understanding than some of the posters on here. Generally (and I'm using the term loosly because someone might take it personally) the younger generation are far more tollerant and understanding than the baby boomer generation, who seem to be unsympathetic to everyone except the 50 - 70 generation.

I'm glad we've given you a topic for dinner this evening, can't promise one every week though!;)

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for that, I agree with you about the younger generation, I think they can be more understanding than the age you stated, (I can say that as I am almost in the bracket of 50 plus)

I find as you get older you do seem to become less tolerant of others around you, I sometimes wonder if it is because we are getting older or others dont seem to have the manners we have become accustomed too,

I am not speaking of any age group in particular as many times on cruise ships it can more often than not be people who are older than myself.

I have found myself at times falling into this bracket and I make an effort now to be kinder to people who I have thought I would not get along with and I have to say I have met some very nice and interesting people this way and I learned a lesson about myself.

I can say truthfully that I would not be too happy if a child was kicking the back of my chair on a long flight but I would hope that if the parents explained to me that their child cant help his or herself, then I would hope I could tell the parents not to worry and after reading your forum, this is what I would do!

Regards.

Lynn

Everyone has problems.

My BIG problem for the past 2 yrs has been my menopausal hot flushes/palpitations. Me and my husband now travel a lot since he retired 2 yrs ago. We are gold on P&O but always go for cheapest cabin as it makes the pension go farther.

Long haul flights are diffficult for me as I have panic attacks/palpitations/hot flushes. I need to sit on an aisle seat as it's not so claustophobic. I fainted on a flight to the Caribbean a few yrs ago, but only 3 people knew about it.

This info is never shared with P&O or any airline we fly with. I put up with the discomfort and hope that soon it will pass.

A 9 hr flight is soon forgotten about.

Move on.

Caryl

When our three children were younger we did not book holidays that would not suit them.

Carol x

No holiday suits my boy, so should we never go on holiday ever again? because even when he grows up he'll still be the same and need to be cared for, still he'll only be able to knee the seat then because he won't be able to get his legs up:rolleyes:

Everyone has problems.

My BIG problem for the past 2 yrs has been my menopausal hot flushes/palpitations. Long haul flights are diffficult for me as I have panic attacks/palpitations/hot flushes. This info is never shared with P&O or any airline we fly with. Caryl

Caryl, I hope you have told your insurance company about this, otherwise your insurance will be invalid. If you have a panic attack on the plane and they need to divert the aircraft it could cost you thousands and thousands of pounds and your insurance won't pay for it if you haven't declared it:)

You can't be critical of fat people, how VERY dare you.... you should have your post removed forthwith :rolleyes::D

I will say it again then -Very fat people should have to buy two seats...:eek:

Goodness, how rude!! You really shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush!

If you frequented this forum more you would realise the comment was aimed at the "usual suspects" who post on here and NOT the vast majority of P&O cruisers who are far more moderate and considerate in their views IMHO

When some people fail to provide a coherent logical argument they resort to simply making things up about 'usual suspects' etc. It is a shame that some come on these boards pretending they are concerned about the impact on others but then go on to prove that the reality is that they don't care, all they want is for people to absolve them of their responsibilities and take THEIR problems away from them.

If you read some of the other boards you will realise that my wife is just out of hospital. The reason why is because a child ran in front of her, she stumbled over the child (did not fall), but jarred her back, which left her in agony. It was just a simple accident and one that the mother did apologise for. However, her GP was unable to giver her anything to control the pain (she is already on the maximum pain killers any GP can subscribe), so she had to be admitted into hospital. They have now got the pain back under control and she is back onto her normal concoction of pain killers (which we know are not good for her). Someone kicking her back would have the same effect.

I don't get annoyed about discussion like this on chatboards because I know that in real life there are very very few people that would be so ignorant and irresponsible to allow their child to inflict such antisocial behaviour on others.

I'm very sorry to hear about your wife and I hope she fully recovers soon. This experience seems to have tainted your objectivity and because of an unfortunate accident you seem to have a downer on children at the moment.

Without being rude, and not knowing you personally, I guess that you are of the more mature / baby boomer generation who has no children or grandchildren and if you do have children, no doubt they were in bed before you returned home from work.

You show little tolerence of children what ever their needs, one who believes that children should be seen and not heard and someone who thinks children should go on holiday to Butlins or Centre Parcs as cruising is something you do when you retire. Please forgive me if this is not correct, it's just the impression you give.

The whole thread stated as a moan against poor systems in place to deal with disabled people on long flights, which you by your posts turned into an anti social behavior of children issue. If I were a paret who couldn't give a toss I would have boarded the plane sat where we were put and adopted the slack parent routine, but I thought this would be unfair to the passenger infront and I was raising awareness of the problem so it could be better understood and people in the same situation could have it resolved by the time they travelled.

As I stated I hope your wife makes a full recovery but don't have a downer on all children just because of an unfortunate accident.

Rosebaskets - which cruise are you going on? Is it the 29th Oct?

Thanks for the advice, but as the doc says there's nought wrong with me and doesn't understand the M word then no need to inform insurance.

LOL! I'm not crazy enough to want to get off the plane!

Just remembered that last time we flew to Carribbean (premier)one elderly man had luggage -space rage! The compartment above his seat was already full when he boarded and he was furious. We were outraged at the way he talked to the cabin crew and the people who had put their bags there. He should have been chucked off the plane, but the cabin crew were too nice.

We have met quite a few pops(P&O passengers) who display rude, agressive behaviour and don't give a monkeys about anyone else's feelings. And sorry to say - they are ALWAYS over 70 !:rolleyes:

My motto - "If you can't say somethin nice then don't say anything at all!"

Caryl

Rosie

Given you are hoping that folks would be understanding of your difficulties. I presume you will be just as understanding if you end up with the chain smoking nicotine addict on the next balcony cabin to yours.

Regards

Cb

CB I don't have any difficulties, so it's not a problem at all! The last chain smokers we had on the balcony next door loved a bit of Paranoid by Black Sabbath, followed by Smack My Bitch Up and The real Slim Shady to finish with at 6.30am, we agreed to a compromise ;)

Rosebaskets - which cruise are you going on? Is it the 29th Oct?

Thanks for the advice, but as the doc says there's nought wrong with me and doesn't understand the M word then no need to inform insurance.

LOL! I'm not crazy enough to want to get off the plane!

Drs Eh! what do they know! I guess the Dr's male! If they had a panic attack or two followed by palpitations they'd soon change their opinion. My Doctor totally changed his attitude towards mental health when one of his patients poured petrol round his desk

Just remembered that last time we flew to Carribbean (premier)one elderly man had luggage -space rage! The compartment above his seat was already full when he boarded and he was furious. We were outraged at the way he talked to the cabin crew and the people who had put their bags there. He should have been chucked off the plane, but the cabin crew were too nice.

We have met quite a few pops(P&O passengers) who display rude, agressive behaviour and don't give a monkeys about anyone else's feelings. And sorry to say - they are ALWAYS over 70 !

The worst ones we've encountered were at the dinner table and used "love thy neighbour" language towards the waiters, we asked them to refrain, the rest of the table thought it was highly amusing and all carried on throughout the evening, all over 65! Casual racism in the elderly situation is rife and totally uncalled for. It makes you ashamed to be British

My motto - "If you can't say somethin nice then don't say anything at all!"

Here. ere!

Caryl

Rosebaskets, you have me totally wrong. We both love children and according to most people that know her, Julie is amazing with children (not so much me, they have a habit of beating me up). Over the years Julie has been the confidant of many of the neighbourhood children. And no I am not of the more mature type either ;-)

I will tolerate many things children do however NOT the infliction of pain on my wife or me .. that is totally unacceptable and the onus is 100% on the parents to ensure that does not happen.

I have given you several scenarios as to how I and a friend have dealt with such instances in the past. I have also told you the correct procedure as to how to put your case forward to P&O to try to avoid you being put in an embarassing situation and possibly putting your child in a 'risky' situation (people on planes can do funny things and it may only take one person to 'snap').

If you are genuine about avoiding inconveniencing other passengers then do as I mentioned. Contact P&O. They may send you out a medical questionnaire and they may not charge you any extra (however with the new ruling they may, nobody is sure about how the new seat booking will work).

PS: I don't even have a downer on the child that put my wife in hospital .. as I said it was just a silly accident.

Rosebaskets, you have me totally wrong. We both love children and according to most people that know her, Julie is amazing with children (not so much me, they have a habit of beating me up). Over the years Julie has been the confidant of many of the neighbourhood children. And no I am not of the more mature type either ;-)

I will tolerate many things children do however NOT the infliction of pain on my wife or me .. that is totally unacceptable and the onus is 100% on the parents to ensure that does not happen.

I have given you several scenarios as to how I and a friend have dealt with such instances in the past. I have also told you the correct procedure as to how to put your case forward to P&O to try to avoid you being put in an embarassing situation and possibly putting your child in a 'risky' situation (people on planes can do funny things and it may only take one person to 'snap').

If you are genuine about avoiding inconveniencing other passengers then do as I mentioned. Contact P&O. They may send you out a medical questionnaire and they may not charge you any extra (however with the new ruling they may, nobody is sure about how the new seat booking will work).

PS: I don't even have a downer on the child that put my wife in hospital .. as I said it was just a silly accident.

Please accept my apologies for totaly misjudging you, i've obviously misinterpreted your lack of child friendleyness. I have contacted P&O, 3 times, spoken with customer services, the flights dept and the medical assistance dept. My travel agent has also spoken with them twice. They don't know what to do! They agree with me, they want to help, BUT no one will take responsibility. I'm sure they will have policies regarding the issuing of seats on aircraft but they are totally disorganised.

The booking system goes live on the 9th September, on line, you have to book online through your cruise personaliser, you have to pay £25 per person to book each seat. P&O have chartered the planes so Thomson or Thomas Cook have no responsibility for who sits where.

If you fly with a commercial airline they have rules about who can sit where. With no one overseeing the allocation there will be uproar if the pilot decides that a person who has booked in the row next to one of the 4 exits is unsuitable. Children, disabled, vertically challenged and yes even fat people bar stopped from sitting in these seats due to health and safety.

If I was totally oblivious to the rules and I was 20 stone and wanted to book a couple of these extra legroom seats next to the exit with my disabled partner I would be booking it straight away, paying my £50, I get on the plane sit in my pre booked seat and the pilot tells me I have to move to another seat because i'm not allowed to sit there because we don't fit the profile for those seats I would be outraged and humiliated.

The point is, if individuals book and pay for seats and can't occupy them for heath and safety reasons (the rules I don't set BTW) they will be FORCED to move, which again isn't fair, so even if I pay for and book the seat I will still not be allowed to use the seat I pay for, that's why ALL disabled passengers sit in the first two rows of each aircraft.

People with babies HAVE to sit in designated seats (usually row 9) because of the access to extra oxygen in an emergency, If row 9 is booked and people with babies don't pre book their seats they will FORCE the people on row 9 to move to another seat, irrespective of whether they have booked the seat not.

Here are a couple of question and answers my TA posted about the pre booking there was a long list just picked out these two

Q) Why can’t I book my child in an Emergency Exit seat?

The Civil Aviation Authority does not allow passengers under 16 years old to be sat in exit seats for safety reasons.

Q) I have limited mobility; can I book an Emergency Exit seat?

The Civil Aviation Authority will only allow fully mobile passengers to sit in exit seats for safety reasons. The airline has the final decision regarding the suitability of a passenger to occupy any seat.

Perhaps they won't allow those seats to be prebooked to save any arguements on the plane.

Here are a couple of question and answers my TA posted about the pre booking there was a long list just picked out these two

Q) Why can’t I book my child in an Emergency Exit seat?

The Civil Aviation Authority does not allow passengers under 16 years old to be sat in exit seats for safety reasons.

Q) I have limited mobility; can I book an Emergency Exit seat?

The Civil Aviation Authority will only allow fully mobile passengers to sit in exit seats for safety reasons. The airline has the final decision regarding the suitability of a passenger to occupy any seat.

Perhaps they won't allow those seats to be prebooked to save any arguements on the plane.

Good idea :), we can all flight for them once the seatbelt lights go out, survival of the fittest (or fastest or most violent:eek:)

Archived