kids on board Thanksgiving week cruise

cruise kitty

There is a Solstice cruise leaving on Nov. 21, out of Ft. Lauderdale, I understand summer, Easter & Christmas cruises to be filled with kids, but how about Thanksgiving week? most kids are in school that Mon to Wed, anyone have any experience with this? I don't have a problem with kids, but if there are 500 on board, the pool deck may be a bit crazy. Thanks

I did the RCCL Thanksgiving cruise out of NJ last years. Tons of kids, but less than the Xmas/New Years cruise. It was an eight night Saturday to Sunday cruise so children only had to miss 2.5 days of school.

Many districts, including two in my area, have the entire week of Thanksgiving off. So combined with parents who will pull their kids out of school for the three day prior to Thanksgiving Day and those who have the whole week off, you'll find tons of kids. I remember one Thanksgiving cruise on Crystal had the most kids I've ever seen on that line.

Hey, thanks for all the answers, it's a 7 day, so if we decide to go for it, we'll be prepared:) Never thought we'd be interested in the Carib, but it's so darn cheap, & most of our family is going out of town this year...seems like it may work out if it comes up on a tues. sale.

We have done two longer Thanksgiving cruises with our kid. 15 Day Hawaii had 43 kids, 11 Day Mexican Riviera had 123. Carnival ship in port with us at the same time on a 7 day voyage had 600.

I am thinking that the Solstice will be on a 7 day voyage, so I would look at something between the 123 and 500? Some school districts have the whole week off.

We sailed on Connie her first Thanksgiving. 7 day cruise. Crew estimated 25% of ship was kids - more than they had seen on any sailing since she had launched that spring. So - the answer is yes - lots of kids...500 out of 2800 is not unreasonable that week, especially with good prices.

We've cruised American T-giving week in the Med the past three years - Our DD has 3.5 days off the week of T-giving and since we live in Wisconsin this week is "gun deer hunting" season which seems to be an excused absence for about 1/2 of my DD's class. So taking this time off never seems to be an issue from a school perspective.

There have been lots on kids on all of our T-giving week cruises -- most of the US gov't employees working in Europe have a holidy that week too.

It has become more common that school districts are giving the whole week off as parents were pulling kids out for those 3 days anyway. We started it 3 years ago and travel every thanksgiving and see more and more kids travelling each year. I would expect a lot of kids (by celebrity standards).

B.

I've only been on two cruises during Thanksgiving. One was on Celebrity's Constellation and it had more kids than on our other Celebrity cruises. The other was on Holland America's Westerdam and to our surprise that cruise had a lot more children than Celebrity and its adult passengers were much younger. Our daughter. who was 29 at the time, met a number of other young mothers during that cruise and didn't think the ship had very many old passengers. I was also very pleasantly surprised by how well our granddaughter was treated by Holland America's crew, as well as the other passengers on that ship.

I've got 4 - impeccable darling kids (really! only 2 are convicted felons... [of course the other 2 have much better intuition in hiring defense attorneys]:D) and this will be their third turkey day at sea... One cruise was a family gig with like 10 kids total... We bring our own live birds and slaughter them ourselves!

Our district is pretty typical of the region taking W-F off and we pull them (off the chain gang) for M-T. But don't worry, although there are 'worse' holidays, and we looked at X - we'll be on Ryndam...;) Bloods prefer HAL; Crips go X!

We are booked on the Celebrity Solstice the week of Thanksgiving. We are a party of six, ranging in age from 80 to 14. Our two teenage children will be traveling with us, daughter 14 and son 16. We are celebrating my father's 80th birthday and my parent's 60th wedding anniversary.

I am glad to hear there will be other kids onboard! We sailed on the Eclipse on June 1st to the Canary Islands (the Eclipse is beautiful and we had a terrific time). We have sailed many European itineraries with our children, but this was the first cruise where the demographics were not a mix. (95% British and most over the age of 70).

I think our children will have a wonderful time on the Thanksgiving cruise. They really enjoyed the Canary Islands, but I would guess that less than a 1/2 percent of passengers were under 20. Each cruise is different and you will find something to enjoy about each one!!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Our DD has 3.5 days off the week of T-giving and since we live in Wisconsin this week is "gun deer hunting" season which seems to be an excused absence for about 1/2 of my DD's class. So taking this time off never seems to be an issue from a school perspective.

Nothing says 'Thanksgiving' quite like the ability to gun down a beautiful animal.

/Yeehaw.

Nothing says 'Thanksgiving' quite like the ability to gun down a beautiful animal.

/Yeehaw.

ahhhhhh......Roast venison with plum demi-glace for Thanksgiving....yummmm.

Several Florida school districts near us (including ours) have the entire week off, so our DD will be onboard with us for the subject cruise this year.

Archived