Worst boarding experience = Oceania! Pls help!

shedridt

My husband & I just LOVED Oceania Nautica (Sydney to Auckland, Jan 2009) - once we finally managed to board. It had to have been 1-1/2 hours standing in line, & even then it was ages before we could access our stateroom. Exhausting & annoying.

The line for embarkation in Sydney was just AWFUL & frankly inexcusable.

We are booked on Oceania Regatta next June 29 Anchorage to Vancouver, & are so hoping for better things.

Can anybody encourage us? Did we catch a fluke in Sydney?

We just do not go to the port usually until at least 2 pm then usually just walk right on. No line no stress

Depending on your cabin CAT they are not usually ready until after 3 pm for

for B cabins and below

If you are in A & above I think the boarding time is 11 am but your cabin may not be ready

Do not forget people just got off not long before & the stewardess has to strip the beds clean the cabin, remake the bed, replace the things in the shower etc...

They have several cabins to do

We just go have a bite to eat & relax ..explore the ship

Once the room is ready you can go have a rest until muster drill & if your bags have arrived you may want to unpack

Hope you enjoy the cruise

Lyn

You don't say what the circumstances were surrounding your unfortunate last experience, but I'm sure that there must have been something afoot.

Customs issues, truculent departing passengers, computer and/ or electrical downtime have all been known to slow things down, but on the whole, Embarkations and Debarkations are among Oceania's strong points.

When we have, occasionally, read about complaints, it usually has more to do with the Passenger arriving at the ship far earlier than is recommended.

The brochures are now stating that we need to be aboard no later than 2 hours before sailing time. If one arrives at the ship with that window of time in mind, everything should be fine.

Sydney was a disaster. We had a balcony cabin, no concierge service, but strangely the concierge level passengers with our same balcony category waited even longer than we did to get on the ship. Once on board we sat & sat & sat until we personally rebelled & simply went to our cabin on on own. It was HOURS. When you've traveled from Philadelphia to LAX (6 hours) then LAX to SYD (17 hours?), you are not to be trifled with.

I would like to be assured that waiting in line --- no place to sit, hot as blazes, no offers of water or even any approach from the crew to offer an explanation or comfort --- is not typical of Oceania.

When we boarded Seabourn in under 10 minutes this spring we thought something had gone wrong....which is why we will ALWAYS choose Seabourn all things being equal. I measure equality on the PPD/PP of a cruise. When I can get close with Seabourn, I snap it up like Jaws!

We walked right onto the ship around noon both times at Civitavecchia. We had lunch and the luggage was in the cabin around 2 pm and we were in a B cabin.

We had to wait in a large holding area in Miami. I believe the boarding situtation has to do with the port authorities and not so much Oceania.

Boarding in Miami last year for my Amazon Cruise was also a bit frustrating. The long wait was due to health questionnaires for the H1N1 virus. The previous two O cruises were a piece of cake with no waiting. Of course Miami in my opinion is always a headache no matter what cruiseline.

Sydney was a disaster. We had a balcony cabin, no concierge service, but strangely the concierge level passengers with our same balcony category waited even longer than we did to get on the ship. Once on board we sat & sat & sat until we personally rebelled & simply went to our cabin on on own. It was HOURS. When you've traveled from Philadelphia to LAX (6 hours) then LAX to SYD (17 hours?), you are not to be trifled with.

I would like to be assured that waiting in line --- no place to sit, hot as blazes, no offers of water or even any approach from the crew to offer an explanation or comfort --- is not typical of Oceania.

When we boarded Seabourn in under 10 minutes this spring we thought something had gone wrong....which is why we will ALWAYS choose Seabourn all things being equal. I measure equality on the PPD/PP of a cruise. When I can get close with Seabourn, I snap it up like Jaws!

Last summer we were booked in a concierge level stateroom on the Insignia. We did not get our luggage until NINE PM! Concierge level is supposed to have "priorty" luggage delivery. Well, we didn't get what we paid for (the bottle of wine offered with a sincere apology did not come close to making up for the difference in cost between concierge and regular rooms) which is why we are booked into a regular verandah stateroom next summer. Although I must say, we are heading towards our 4th O cruise...which reminds me...my worst day on O was still better than my best day on HAL:p

Last summer we were booked in a concierge level stateroom on the Insignia. We did not get our luggage until NINE PM! Concierge level is supposed to have "priorty" luggage delivery. Well' date=' we didn't get what we paid for (the bottle of wine offered with a sincere apology did not come close to making up for the difference in cost between concierge and regular rooms) which is why we are booked into a regular verandah stateroom next summer. Although I must say, we are heading towards our 4th O cruise...which reminds me...my worst day on O was still better than my best day on HAL:p[/quote']

We leave Athens 9/10 on our first EVER cruise. What I have gleaned from this thread is that we need a plan, and I have one. We don't plan to board until 3ish, so we'll make sure to be dressed appropriately for MDR -- just in case. Good to know we could be late getting our bags -- had not thought of that. Meanwhile, we will explore ship, enjoy happy hour, meet new friends, and hope eventually we'll get our clothes. (All this is based on the presumption that our clothes arrive from the US 3 days prior to boarding!) Seriously, it is going to take a lot to upset me about anything on this cruise perhaps because we came so close to cancelling because of family members' health issues. If someone cooks it, brings it to me, does the dishes, etc., I am already in a good place. Finally, let me just jump aboard the Don bandwagon and say I have learned a great deal reading his posts, always so respectfully written.

If someone cooks it, brings it to me, does the dishes, etc., I am already in a good place.

I'm with you. Hopefully, everything will run smoothly for you. I never expect my luggage to arrive in a timely manner with or without concierge status. I always have a change of clothes in my carryon so I can freshen up for my first dinner onboard.

I boarded the ship around noon in Barcelona last fall and it was the easiest boarding of any ship I have every taken, and H1N1 was alive and well at the time. I was in a regular cabin with a veranda; no concierge. We were given times and options for dining. My room was not ready but I anticipated this. My bags were not delivered for several hours and not all at one time but I expected this as well as I had quite a few (travelling a long time). Regent's embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale was a similarly breeze (well, it was very cold) on my subsequent South America trip. Once again, I did not have a concierge room but a stateroom with a veranda.

My husband & I just LOVED Oceania Nautica (Sydney to Auckland, Jan 2009) - once we finally managed to board. It had to have been 1-1/2 hours standing in line, & even then it was ages before we could access our stateroom. Exhausting & annoying.

The line for embarkation in Sydney was just AWFUL & frankly inexcusable.

We are booked on Oceania Regatta next June 29 Anchorage to Vancouver, & are so hoping for better things.

Can anybody encourage us? Did we catch a fluke in Sydney?

My first thought would be to ask you if you spoke to anyone from Oceania in the boarding area? They possibly could have helped.

We ran into the same problem in Auckland in Nautica's first cruise there. They boarding process was incredibly slow and I found out there were two basic problems. First, the line between the dock and the ship kept shutting down and their check-in computers kept failing. Secondly, the whole Oceania process was brand new to the Auckland staff who had been inadequately trained.

We too are on the Regatta in Anchorage next June and I am sure that your experience was a fluke and that our boarding will be smoother. Hope to be able to chat with you then.....

People used to rush to board as early as possible when you had to wait to make alternate restaurant reservations until you were on board. Now that you can make them online waiting until later makes sense.

Most times these kinds of delays are the port's fault more than O's.

We are still newbies having only two O cruises under our belts. Due to time constraints, we have flown in the day of departure both times. The first trip was a comedy of errors and we barely made the boat at all. (I must insert a very hearty thank you to Stan/Jim for all their alternative options should we have missed that ship in Athens.) Obviously boarding at 7:00 p.m. was quick and painless.

This June, we arrived in Rome at 8:00 a.m., with some 150 other O passengers, and yes, we were all exhausted. Having opted to use O's transportation, we were greeted by the guide who announced that since it was so early, and the staterooms were obviously not ready, we would be boarding buses for a complimentary tour of Rome.

Having never actually seen Rome before, the exhaustion lifted and our spirits rose. Hooray! Unfortunately, some of our fellow passengers were not quite as delighted and a few were extremely vocal in their displeasure. I was certain one gentleman would self combust.

While cabins were still not ready upon arrival at 2:00 p.m. They managed to check-in three bus loads of guests in short order and invited us to lunch in the Terrace/Tapas to await the readiness of our rooms. By three we were happily ensconced in our cabins and all was well.

I think expectations have a lot to do with ones view of any given situation. Having worked in hotel management for more years than I care to remember, I understand the turnover time required to clean 650 some odd cabins and have them sparkling for the next round of occupants.

Delays and disappointments come in all forms, but I refuse to let them ruin a perfectly delightful O vacation.

Jeanne and Frank

[quote=hawky;25929000} you wrote;

I was certain one gentleman would self combust.

HA HA! And thank you.. we have all been on the bus with that guy! Thank you for just enjoying the moment.. I hope to be on a cruise with you one day! You have a wonderful attitude!!!!:D

We've only been on two O cruises, but both had absolutely simple check ins. We don't go early (the room won't be ready -- 650+ people just got off at 8), preferring to see a little more of the city we are soon to leave. We have chosen to keep our luggage with us, being relatively light packers, and in both cases just wheeled it right to our cabin. I think in both cases we were told we could board at 3 and got there at 4. No lines at all. I can imagine the frustration and exhaustion after traveling for so many hours, but that's why we always go a couple days early.

We boarded in Barcelona 2 weeks ago. We arrived at 12.30 and there was nobody else around. We actually checked in onboard the Ship. This was the easiest ever.

Disembarking in Istanbul was just as easy.

Brian

I am just off the Insignia on 8-24 out of Lisbon. Literally walked on the ship with no lines in Lisbon around 2 pm and checked in on board. Rooms were ready by 3 on and full lunch was being served in the Terrace Cafe (Deck 9).

Disembarkation in Rome/Civ. just as easy. My guess it was circumstances out of Oceania's control in Sydney.

My experiences, after multiple O cruises in various ports, A cabin, are pretty consistent:

Embarkation at 11:30A (takes 5-10 minutes with little or no wait or delay and O staff there to help and/or answer questions); lunch at the Terrace Cafe (never more than half full and I enjoy the meal without rushing); purchase internet package at the computer room on Deck 9 (takes 15 minutes at the most); make spa appointments (takes 5-10 minutes) and by then, usually 1PM, there is an announcement that staterooms on Deck 7 are available. The luggage is usually by the stateroom door when I get there or it arrives within 2-3 hours thereafter.

Only once have I worried about luggage when, for some reason, it was delivered to another stateroom; but my very clever steward went on a personal hunt for me and I had it 15 minutes later delivered with a big smile and a very sincere 'sorry to keep you waiting'.

Disembarkation: It is to be expected that the Terrace will be full that morning so I usually head for the GDR. And as I, too, have learned about packing light, (partially with the help of compression bags), this part of the trip is a breeze as far as luggage is concerned. Lastly, whether departure transportation is by Oceania contractors or by my private arrangements, I have never experienced any more delay than is to be expected when 600+ leave a ship within a short period of time.

Now, all of this might just be plain good luck on my part, but I prefer to think it is O doing a really terrific job.

We've only been on two O cruises, but both had absolutely simple check ins. We don't go early (the room won't be ready -- 650+ people just got off at 8), preferring to see a little more of the city we are soon to leave. We have chosen to keep our luggage with us, being relatively light packers, and in both cases just wheeled it right to our cabin. I think in both cases we were told we could board at 3 and got there at 4. No lines at all. I can imagine the frustration and exhaustion after traveling for so many hours, but that's why we always go a couple days early.

OK, Stan&Jim or anyone else "in the know"...forgive my ignorance on this subject, but...CAN WE ACTUALLY TAKE OUR LUGGAGE TO OUR STATEROOM OURSELVES? I was under the impression that besides customer service, one of the reasons for handing over the luggage to O personnel for delivery was a security issue...as in x-ray, inspection, or ??? But if we can just wheel it on ourselves, I'm all over that!

It could possibly be a problem with the port. We went on a Celebrity cruise and it was obvious there was a problem. Celebrity did handle it well. We were picked up from the airport and whisked on an unscheduled shore excursion. We were so tired after 22 hours of travel. But they took us to some garden spot and we entered a little cottage-like affair. They had chamber music, tea sandwiches and champagne. We then toured the garden. We sort of mellowed out at that point. We then were taken to some museum to see a Maori show. We registered in a large hall in the museum and finally headed for the ship.

It was sort of a pleasant memory but then I could have halucinated the whole event to blot out the horror. LOL

OK' date=' Stan&Jim or anyone else "in the know"...forgive my ignorance on this subject, but...CAN WE ACTUALLY TAKE OUR LUGGAGE TO OUR STATEROOM OURSELVES? I was under the impression that besides customer service, one of the reasons for handing over the luggage to O personnel for delivery was a security issue...as in x-ray, inspection, or ??? But if we can just wheel it on ourselves, I'm all over that![/quote']

The larger suitcases and other bags MUST go through security and x-ray before they are accepted by the ship. Procedure varies from port to port, but generally all luggage is scanned, before or after being taken on board, sorted according to deck number and subsequently delivered to each door.

You can take small carry-on bags with you when you board, these will be x-rayed when you enter the ship, and then you take them with you to lunch or wherever you want to wait until they announce that "Rooms Are Ready"

It would be rather chaotic if ALL passengers were allowed to struggle on board loaded down with bags, then wander up and down hallways looking for rooms!! ;)

I boarded a HAL cruise in Sydney this past spring and it was dreadful--second only to a nightmare we once had boarding at San Juan, PR. I've not used cruise terminal a Anchorage but I know that Vancouver is quite wonderful. Many times the embarkation experience is a combination of factors: the physical facilities of the terminal, the number and quality of local hires that often staff much of the embarkation area, the cruise ship's own staff, and any quirks in the regulations of the country in which you are boarding.

Archived