Quebec embarkation

TrnrMom

We are taking the Crown Princess out of Quebec on September 27th. What is it like, embarking in Quebec? Is it possible to drop off the suitcases, and go sightseeing for a few hours, and then finish checking in? Alternatively, is there any luggage storage in the area?

I've never embarked here at my home port (my dream - one day!), I can't see there being a problem with either dropping off your luggage and then doing some sightseeing or even checking in, embarking, then leaving the ship. As you are actually leaving QC on the 28th, I'm sure it's expected. Lots to do and see within walking of the port.

I've never embarked here at my home port (my dream - one day!), I can't see there being a problem with either dropping off your luggage and then doing some sightseeing or even checking in, embarking, then leaving the ship. As you are actually leaving QC on the 28th, I'm sure it's expected. Lots to do and see within walking of the port.

Thanks, Twickenham...guess we'll hustle into a cab to wait in line since the dining room apparently closes @ 1:30 anyway...

We sailed out of Quebec City last fall on the Eurodam, it was fantastic! We flew in over night and landed at YQB approx 10am. We easily got a cab and headed right to the ship. We checked our bags and immediately walked into Old Quebec City, which was about a 5min walk away. Mid afternoon we went back to the ship to relax for a few minutes and had dinner in the Canaletto, overlooking the city, just beautiful! After dinner, a short evening walk around and some night photography before we went to bed. On this itinerary, the Eurodam overnighted in Quebec, so we had another full day of sightseeing ahead of us. We spent the entire next day wandering around the city, and even took the ferry across the St Lawrence, just to get a photo of the ship(s) infront of the city! If you want to see any pictures of the ship in relation to the city let me know. My sig below shows the Eurodam and Maasdam 'nose-to-nose' docked in Quebec.

We arrive in Quebec around 9pm Oct 23. Embark at noon Oct 24. Ship stays overnite in Quebec so we have the evening of Oct 24 and until 3pm or so Oct 25 to wander around.

We would like suggestions of where to stay overnight :

Stay near the airport and take cab to pier next morning.

Stay near the Pier.

Stay somewhere else (where?).

We have absolutely no idea as of now (booked cruise today) the geography of Quebec -- distances between Airport and Town / Airport and Pier / Town and Pier. Any guidance with possible one moderate hotel name for each option will be much appreciated.

/Sultan

We arrive in Quebec around 9pm Oct 23. Embark at noon Oct 24. Ship stays overnite in Quebec so we have the evening of Oct 24 and until 3pm or so Oct 25 to wander around.

Stay near the Pier.

We have absolutely no idea as of now (booked cruise today) the geography of Quebec -- distances between Airport and Town / Airport and Pier / Town and Pier. Any guidance with possible one moderate hotel name for each option will be much appreciated.

/Sultan

There are several moderately priced hotels/motels near the airport, but not much else to interest the tourist (commercial/shopping area), and you would still need to get a taxi to the port the next day. There are several nice boutique-style hotels within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal; I've compiled a list here, in order of distance from the port:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

Stay near the Pier.

/Sultan

The airport is far from downtown Quebec. It's in the suburbs. I would stay uptown or downtown. Both have great places.

Thanks to:

maryann ns

Twickenham

MM42

for replying quickly with suggestions.

If we pick a hotel suggested by Twickenham (or in similar location), is there a shuttle (not from the hotel but like Supershuttle around here) that has a fixed rate from the airport to the hotels that runs late into the night? It will be after 10pm by the time we go through Customs and Imm. Thanks once again. /Sultan

Continuation of Previous Question:

I checked the Quebec Airport website. It say there are taxis available for a fixed rate of $32.50:

Rates

Downtown Québec City: $32,50

Airport periphery: $14,25

Is this fare really available to downtown hotels?

Is this fare really available to downtown hotels?

I don't see why not. Downtown Quebec just isn't that big, and most people arriving at the airport would be going to one of those hotels.

Just checked the YQB website. The taxi page http://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/to-and-from-the-airport/taxis/ has a (albeit mediocre) map denoting the zones included in the fixed rates (the teal square). All the hotels I quoted are included in the zone.

We are staying at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenauc. There was a special on Expedia and it was in the same price range (expensive but :D)

as most of the other downtown city hotels. I am really looking forward to staying in this iconic hotel. Check it out. Others have also recommended the Courtyard by Marriott in lower town as being excellent. My SIL the hotel manager says that Courtyard is number one Courtyard in the world for ratings.

Others have also recommended the Courtyard by Marriott in lower town as being excellent. My SIL the hotel manager says that Courtyard is number one Courtyard in the world for ratings.

Just to specify, the Courtyard is in Upper Town, not Lower Town, on Place d'Youville just outside the city walls. I've heard nothing but excellent things about that particular Courtyard, and while not quite as close to the port, is nevertheless very convenient for sightseeing and only maybe a 5-minute taxi ride away.

Thanks Twickenham -- and also Bowie Me Me. We will start dealing with hotels over the weekend. With the fixed price for airport to hotel taxi we can relax and not worry about being taken all over Quebec to run up the fare as the taxis in San Francisco sometimes try to do.

All the discussion about the wall and Upper / Lower Town has got us excited. I am glad the ship overnites in Quebec on boarding so we will at least have some time to look around. We tried to arrive 2 days earlier but the airline fares for some reason were much higher.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived