Recent dining info on Infinity

kahtrav

I hesitate to post this, but the information I'm finding on forums isn't current or specific to a ship - Infinity (or class of ships). We haven't cruised with Celebrity before.

I know that there has been lots of discussion out and about about formal nights on Celebrity, but I'd still like some feedback - if possible from someone who has been on the Infinity on a Caribbean/Panama cruise. We travel extremely light - usually we're cycling and carry our life with us. We are of the "checked luggage is lost luggage" camp and only check bags when absolutely necessary (like our bicycles). We've cruised mostly on Holland America and, while we always dress up for formal night, we haven't felt out of place without tuxedos or jacket/tie. Are we going to be ok with dressy, but not formal wear? Will they actually refuse to let us in if my husband doesn't wear a suit and tie, but other dressy option (sport coat?).

I'm also confused about the casual dining options for dinner. Is there a buffet type dinner on Infinity or just the grill and pizza options? Or is there another casual restaurant.

One more thing - does Celebrity have decent sugar-free options for desserts? I've looked at sample menus, but haven't seen this mentioned. This is one area that has been very lacking (but somewhat available) on other ships.

He will not feel out of place with a short jacket. On my cruise last week saw numerous men in sportcoats. It is not within the specified code but no one will say anything realistically.

The buffet is not the same as they present for breakfast or lunch. There are limited options such as pizza, pasta, salads, sushi and the grill but again not the same as the other meals..

I will comment on Casual dining with a proviso. It is excellent and costs $2.00 pp and reservations are requested but depending on availability not always needed. It is served in the buffet area and is off a menu which is different from the MDR. The proviso is that some have reported on one of the other M class ships it had been eliminated but Celebritys customer service denies it. However, posters keep coming back and saying they no longer have it on the Summit so who knows about the other ships when you go on your cruise.

Finally, you can still eat the MDR dinner in your cabin during regular dining room hours..

On our Alaskan cruise on the Infinity on 8/13, the casual dining option was available. That being said, we were never able to obtain a reservation while on board - always booked. My DH wore a sport coat on both formal nights and the majority of the men wore sport coats. I can count on one hand the number of tuxes I saw on the formal nights. And yes, there was a limited dinner buffet. Ate there one night and they had roast lamb on the carving table! :)

I guess that it may depend on the time of year. We did the Fort Lauderdale to San Diego Panama Canal in November last year. I would say that the majority of men eating in the MDR on the first formal night [we ate mainly in SS United States] were wearing a dinner jacket [tux] and those who did not stood out. We were on late sitting. Perhaps it was different for early sitting. I would also say that most of the women wore long gowns. I checked with my husband in case I mis-remembered but he agrees with me.

Sue

We cruised Infinty through Panama Canal and my wife and I brought one carry on each, no checked bags, and had no problems. For formal nights I had rented a tux. Many men wore sport coats and looked fine.

Don't worry.

- Joel

Archived