1/2 day in Rome pre cruise-need hotel

Kugel

We will be arriving at 2:30 pm day before cruise. I was looking for center city hotel but to pay 4 or 500 dollars for the night seems crazy when there is no time to really see much. Leaving following morning with possibly Romecabs to port.

Any suggestions on what to do and where to stay?

What time of year are you going? How much money would you want to budget for the night? And how fit are you (e.g., how much walking do you want to do)? These would all influence any recommendations for hotels that I'd make.

There are certainly hotels in the city center that are much less than $400/night. However, you have to realize they won't be a 4-5 star hotel (in the American sense) and/or may not be quite as centrally located.

If you can answer the questions above, I might be able to recommend a few places. Also, have you been to Rome before?

What time of year are you going? How much money would you want to budget for the night? And how fit are you (e.g., how much walking do you want to do)? These would all influence any recommendations for hotels that I'd make.

There are certainly hotels in the city center that are much less than $400/night. However, you have to realize they won't be a 4-5 star hotel (in the American sense) and/or may not be quite as centrally located.

If you can answer the questions above, I might be able to recommend a few places. Also, have you been to Rome before?

Yes we have been to Rome twice before. Love the Piazza Navona area the best of course.

We will be there April 28, 2011 and then we come back May 11 and was going to take a hotel by the airport for an early 8 am flight

I love Rome, it's probably my favorite city in the world but, that said, with your circumstances I might consider skipping Rome on arrival night.

If your flight arrives at 2:30 PM, by the time you clear customs and get your luggage (I'm assuming you are coming from outside of the Schengen zone) it will be at least 3:30, and therefore at least 4 PM before you even arrive in the city, possibly a little later. You won't have much time to enjoy the city before leaving the next morning, so it seems like a lot of effort and expense for not much gain.

Why not simply head north toward the port and find a nice hotel either on the beach, or in the town of Civitavecchia? You can stroll along the waterfront during passeggiata, have a nice dinner, sleep in the next morning and arrive for check in refreshed and ready to enjoy your cruise.

If you are interested in the Lazio coast, here is a web site that tells you a little about each of the towns, and lists hotels, B&Bs, etc. by town: http://www.laziocoast.it/?mid=comune&cid=058097

I readily concur with what Euro Cruiser says. We are arriving in Rome in the early morning the day before our Oct 2nd cruise. We are going to take the train directly to Civitavecchia and check into the seaside hotel Miramare. Lovely boutique hotel we have stayed in before. Oceanview room for Euro 110. Easy walk to the port entrance, even with luggage.

I am not a fan of Civitavecchia so take that into consideration; my preference would be to spend the night and next day in Rome until you have to be on board.

For the night you mention, the Albergo del Senato has a rate of $276 for a double for the night. An excellent hotel, well located for an afternoon/evening stroll to Trevi, to Piazza Navona and around the immediate area. Lots of great spots for dinner as you probably know. That rate is pretty comparable to some lesser hotels in the area, so I'd grab it. Personally speaking, of course.....;) The next morning you could visit the Capitoline museum or the Borghese (if you haven't already) before leaving for Civitavecchia. Another great museum, if you have done the Borghese and enjoyed it, is very walkable from the del Senato -- the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doria_Pamphilj_Gallery

Help.. My friend and I did the Rome city tour last year, so do not want to do it again....Have signed up with one company, but cannot get any one else to sign up with us,,, Too much $ for just two people... Any suggestions... Are their tour people at the port??

Help.. My friend and I did the Rome city tour last year, so do not want to do it again....Have signed up with one company, but cannot get any one else to sign up with us,,, Too much $ for just two people... Any suggestions... Are their tour people at the port??

Is there a reason you don't want to go on your own? If you've been to Rome only last year, you're familiar with the territory and you've probably seen at least a few of the key sites. With a short list of things to see, and the first time visitor rush behind you, an economical DIY day might work for you.

Lots of cruise ship passengers take the train from Civitavecchia and visit Rome on their own.

Archived