Prescription drugs for our Dubai to Cape Town Cruise

threeedogmedia

Help! I've been researching Dubai in prep of our cruise in November. Now I read about their policies of bringing in what I take via rx from my physician that may cause me to be arrested. Ever since I was diagnosed with cancer (i'm better now) I take Xanax for anxiety and Ambien to sleep. Now I read I must not only carry an rx but have the rx notarized not only by my secretary of the State of Washington but have the darn thing notarized by the US Secretary of State too. What the ;()$! Even sudafed (pseudophedrine) is a no-no. I am not a druggie - heck I don't even drink! Even my estrogen is on their list of controlled substances and so is my husband's celebrex. What the heck is all this about? Can anyone please help me figure out what I'm supposed to do? I can't even get on a plane without taking a Xanax to get over my claustrophobia.

Please, can any of you shed some light on what I need to do to be legal and not get in trouble with the UAE?

Karen

Look, Dubai is a tourist city. DH and I are on several drugs including diazapam for my back, Temazipan to sleep on the plane, and numerous others including strong pain killers.

When we visited Dubai for six days prior to our Silver Seas cruise, we just had a letter from our doctor ,on her letterhead, stating all medications we were carrying with us. Absolutely no problem whatsover. I can't remember if we were required to declare them on arrival as we do in many South East Asian cities. If we were, we would have done so, but like in Singapore , Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, when we would go through the "items to declare" isles, we were just waved on with a smile.

Don't worry, take every thing you need, but do carry a letter from a practicing physican and if possible ,as an extra precaution, keep the drugs in their original boxes.

We loved our stay in Dubai and they are trying so hard to make it a very family friendly town ( and hopefully illegal drug free) which is nice. We didn't stay right in Dubai but at a fabulous desert hotel about 15-20 minutes out of town. We were so glad we did as it had so much atmosphere and we really felt we were in the desert and in the Middle East and not just a modern city with great modern architecture.

Enjoy Dubai and your cruise.

I agree with piri that you should keep all your prescriptions in their original containers with your name et al on the label. When I was on the Discovery Collection in '08, a friend forgot her celebrex and the ship's doctor went to pharmacies in many cities to get her prescription filled. If you are still concerned about this, call Regent and see what they suggest.

I have been to Dubai about 20 times in the last 3 years. I have never had my luggage inspected by customs in or out of the country.

Depending on the number of scripts, either keep them in the original containers or bring what you need in one of those pill by day containers.

If you have any controlled substances -- then I would bring something stronger (letter from Physician).

We flew into Dubia for a cruise on Seabourn last April. I carry several controlled meds to mannage long standing pain issues and asthma if I over do. I had no problem, no questions upon our entry. All my meds are in the original bottles and were in plain sight in my carry-on which they didn't open.

Earlier in March and April we flew into and out of Cape Town (we were on a 5 month trip around the world). Again no problem, not even a question when they openned the carry-on.

In fact, we flew into and out of Singapore on the same trip...I was aware it could be a problem there, but again not an issue and our carry-ons were searched three times before we boared our flight to Africa. My DR said the original bottles would be enough, though I also had a copy of the RX with me. If you are concerned, just get a letter from your Dr on his letterhead with the reson for the need.

Have a good trip!

Thank you all for this information.

When I read one of the official UAE web sites that indicated I needed everything signed by my Secretary of state (of Washington) AND Washington DC I was just about ready to cancel the trip. Even my estrogen was considered controlled. Now, I have the information I need to proceed. My doctors will write new prescriptions for the time we will be away and issue a letter indicating what the drugs are and what they are for along with a copy of their DEA license as a "just in case". I will also carry everything including a couple of vitamins in their original containers.

I have to say that in all of our world travels, I have never experienced this much concern over prescription medications in any country we've been in. I'm so glad I started my research on Dubai and found out with enough time to take care of all this extra stuff.

Karen

there have been some articles in the British press recently (within the last month) about some british tourists being arrested at the Dubai airport because of prescription drugs that they had with them but did not have the prescription and/or were not in their original packing.

The Travel Section in the Telegraph recommended that anyone going to Dubai, or transiting through Dubai take an original of the prescription with them AND keep the pills, medecine etc in the original box/bottle whatever. This actually is not a bad idea for a lot of countries...and easy to do.

This is good info to know. My husband takes several meds routinely, no controlled substances, but then again, who knows what a controlled substance is in a foreign country if estrogen pills are on the list. (No, he doesn't take those.) And often, his pills aren't in the containers from the pharmacy. Some are ones I get samples of from drug reps.

I wonder then if one should get it filled once from the pharmacy so as to have an unquestionable bottle and just keep filling that for overseas cruises.

We travel overseas about once a year seems like...when I get my yearly refill for the drugs...the three month supply / four times a year type, I also get the Dr to write a RX for a small amount and use that bottle for all travel during that year. That way my RX bottle is always small and the RX on it is less than a year old...that mattered to some countries also.

Archived