smoking on balcony?

m steve

I know it's against the rules but has anyone ever been put off the ship for an occasional lapse? My partner likes a quick smoke around 6-7 am and really doesn't want to get dressed and move to the smoking area. We usually take an aft cabin to disipate the smoke. She doesn't sit out there all day puffing away.

It is my understanding that smoking is banned on balconies for safety reasons following a death due to a balcony fire cause by smoking on another cruise line. In the circumstances, I would hope that any infringement was taken very seriously.

Sue

I believe that if a neighbor complains about the smoke your partner could be heavily fined.

I realize that it's quite early in the morning, but hopefully your partner will still choose to visit a smoking area. Many people (us included) choose Celebrity because of the limited smoking policy. We often open our balcony door early in the morning to enjoy the sea breeze and would be disappointed to have smoke wafting in.

I don't mean to be harsh, but perhaps Celebrity isn't the best cruise line fit for you if smoking on the balcony is important. Our cruise choice is dictated by smoking policy, and unfortunately, yours may be too...

I believe that if a neighbor complains about the smoke your partner could be heavily fined.

I realize that it's quite early in the morning, but hopefully your partner will still choose to visit a smoking area. Many people (us included) choose Celebrity because of the limited smoking policy. We often open our balcony door early in the morning to enjoy the sea breeze and would be disappointed to have smoke wafting in.

I don't mean to be harsh, but perhaps Celebrity isn't the best cruise line fit for you if smoking on the balcony is important. Our cruise choice is dictated by smoking policy, and unfortunately, yours may be too...

Very well put!!!!! - without being too harsh

Excellant post and we totally agree. Celebrity does follow up on all balcony smoking reports. It is my understanding that one warning then a $250. fine each time after that. Thank you Celebrity.:D

I know it's against the rules...

I remember when the Carnival PARADISE first came into service. She had been built smoke-free, entered service smoke-free, and flew the 'No Smoking' sign flag on her bow staff. There were warnings at check-in, warnings in the literture they sent you, warnings on board. There was even a No Smoking sign painted on the hull on the side of the ship. Yet smokers still booked the ship despite all the warnings. Never understood that. If caught smoking in your cabin there was a substantial monetary fine, an entire cleaning process to literally sanitize the cabin, and you faced the serious possibility of being kicked off the ship, which did happen to entire families for one smoker violating the rules. I wish Celebrity would institute a similar policy on violators.

Rules are rules, and rules are different than 'guidelines'. Non-smokers can be extremely sensitive to the smell and can pick it up some distance from the person doing to exhaling, even decks away as mentioned.

Many people do choose Celebrity for its stricter No Smoking policies. Please ask your partner to respect the rules regarding No Smoking on the balconies. As mentioned by another post, if there is a need to smoke on your balcony maybe Celebrity is not the cruise line you should be cruising on.

You won't get much sympathy on these boards. People are obsessed about dress codes, which are suggested but not enforced; and about whether sharing a drinks package is theft. Smoking on balconies is not a moral or ethical decision - it is prohibited; punishable by a fine; an infringement on others' choice not to be around cigarette smoke; and has been deemed a safety hazard by the cruise line. Personally I would not hesitate for one second to report a smoker on the balcony next to mine to Guest Relations. And from what I have read, neither would the many others who have chosen Celebrity in large part because of the very limited smoking policy.

I know it's against the rules but has anyone ever been put off the ship for an occasional lapse? My partner likes a quick smoke around 6-7 am and really doesn't want to get dressed and move to the smoking area. We usually take an aft cabin to disipate the smoke. She doesn't sit out there all day puffing away.

I'd think through the words you used to work around this issue: 'lapse'?, 'quick smoke'? This isn't a lapse or just a quck smoke. This is planning on a premediated step. And unless you have very forgiving neighbors, you will be get nailed. An aft cabin doesn't dissapate the smoke enough that all your neighbors will not be affected. The aft area tends to have a 'bubble' of air behind it as the ship moves forward and the smoke will linger around you and your neighboring cabins making it very easy to locate the source. But if the only issue you are worried about is being put off the ship, then I guess you'll be just fine. Haven't heard of this being done....but we can6 all hope this is done in your partiular case since you are planning on doing this for convience.

I guess you can adversily impact all of your neighbors, have Security come by and tell you not to do it again, and pay the fine and so on, and all will be well for you since you won't be thrown off the ship, and you can enjoy your cruise at everyone else's expense.

Enjoy your cruise.

Denny

I like to sit on my smoke-free balcony between 6-7am and have my breakfast. I choose celebrity so that I may have my breakfast in a smoke-free environment, so if your partner decides to flout the rules and you're on a balcony near me then I for one will be reporting her each and every time until she stops or is put off the ship.

If you are unable to obey the Celebrity rules I suggest that you choose another cruise line that allows smoking on the balcony.

There were incidents last week on the Eclipse and I know they were followed up. Whilst I cannot confirm how much people were fined it is my understanding they were. There was a Bravo alert caused by smoke from a cabin one morning and we had to report a number of butts on our balcony thrown from elsewhere. The seriouseness of this was recognised by the ships officers who reacted immediately we called down to report they had landed on our balcony

Security cameras are also used to identify perpitrators so I suggest the OPs partner prepares for an early morning walk to the designated area or for a walk along the plank at a later time

This would be an excellent reason for your friend to pick a different cruise line which does not have the policy that Celebrity does, and is also a reason why many people choose Celebrity.

The Policy on this page: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000QyOVtNYHaIJM9nLHVnPhBFE:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=572&pagename=faq_answers

indicates that there is a $250 penalty for violations and possible removal from the ship.

Over 5000 posts and you have to ask?:rolleyes:

"X" is not the best pick for your partner. I am up at those hours and love to sit , smoke free, on my balcony.

I changed preferred cruise lines to Celebrity because they have clean air on balcony's at ALL hours.

we are smokers and followed the rules,on the soltace last week, but at the smoking areas it was very common to hear people say they were smoking on ther balconies and it was a large amount of people breaking the rules and as far as i know no one was caught, but we were good and only smoked in the proper areas:)

Guess we'll stick w/ HAL and Princess.

The sad fact is.... Princess is the one that started all this when they nearly burned up a ship due to smoking. Funny that they have resisted stopping it.

I for one really like the balconies are "mostly" smoke free. Some will always continue to flaunt the rules. I appreciate those smokers who are now addicted and can't quit but willing to limit the problems to themselves and not others.

There is a fine if caught....Definitely would not attempt it because a neighbor is sure to notice and report......

Archived