Pre-Paid, and auto tips. I'll just say it

JEDIKNIGHT

We totally agree with the OP and would like to add one point. In our many cruises we have very seldom had a waiter, assistant waiter, or room steward that only did just their job, the majority have gone above and beyond what is required. In those few instances we don't give extra. We are not wealthy people in any sense but really appreciate these hard working people that make us feel so pampered for a week or two.This is particularly true on Celebrity.JMHO

What would be an example of beyond what is required for a room steward?

Interesting concept some have come up with on tipping/gratuities/service charge/etc: if you receive services but don't see the person, you don't tip them......OK - you don't see the person who cleans your hotel room so you wouldn't tip them, even though they provide a daily, important service. But if the bellhop who is 'paid so hansomely' to handle your luggage drops them off while you are there, you tip them. If you drop your bags off at the front desk and ask them to be taken to your room while you go to your meeting, do you then not tip because you don't get to hand the money directly over to the service person?

Sounds more like the point is you being seen tipping the person. If that is the concept, go for it, but please drop the excuses and just accept you tip to because you want an appreciative smile or thankyou and direct 'credit' for tipping.

Personally, I hated the envelopes and cash handling and so on. Auto-tipping and prepaid tipping works for the great majority, especially the staff considering how many would stiff them if they could. And yes, this is somewhat cultural, but I bet there are many more 'North Americans' stiffing the staff then Euros, Brits, Auzzies and so on.....hold on, I may be wrong about the Auzzies, you know how much they drink and probably drank all their extra funds away!!

The last cruise we made that had envelopes, our Texas tablemates came to last dinner and asked us what the envelopes were for...we explained it, and both left to back to get their's....Right. Neve saw them again.

I'm sure there are other rationales (haven't seen Any on the 13,418+ posts on this subject yet) to only tip directly, but I guess there could be, beyond the 'I get my jollys off handing over the tip'. By the way, I do 'enjoy' adding a cash tip to specific waitstaff/stewards, so I fully understand the concept of an appreciative smile. But I don't use it as an excuse to drop the autotipping or complain about the prepaid tipping.

To each their own.

Denny

I think that the whole issue of tipping has become very confusing in the US. I never know why some folks are tipped while others are not. Why do we tip housekeepers in hotels but not the housekeeper in your hospital room? Why do we tip the Maitre D but not the woman who sold you your bottle of perfume or liquor in the shops? Why do we tip for room service but don't tip the maintenance personnell who come to fix your toilet in your cabin? I know that servers in restaurants are not even paid minimum wage therefore depend on tips to make a living, but who else totally depend on tips to earn their salary? We tip the porters at the dock, but I also hear that they are long shoremen and make quite a good salary. I'm not sure I know who really depends on tips and that is why it becomes so confusing. Something to think about.

When in doubt TIP. Err on the side of tipping in any situation.

No one has ever refused my tip in any venue all over the world.

Ship workers work very hard for one thing and thats money. They are not onboard to play or make life long friends, they want to feed their families and get a better life.

No one on a ship will refuse any gratutity either at the beginning or in the middle or at the end of a cruise.

Spence

"No one has ever refused my tip in any venue all over the world."

Try tipping in China - they will chase you out of the restaurant and hand you your money back. In some cultures it is offensive to leave tips.

I get that we are talking primarily about North American culture - but it is not the same around the world, and it's not the same in every situation.

Gratuities are just that - showing how gratuitous you are for excellent service, not a standard handing over of cash because they showed up for work.

I can remember when going to Catskill resorts which were similar to all-inclusives today, tipping was a big thing. Whether or not they advised how much, I cannot remember.

Now, we have many all-inclusive resorts where tipping is included. Perhaps that is the way of the cruiselines as well.

It doesn't really matter what name you give it, tips, service charge, gratuity. To me it is all the same.

What would be an example of beyond what is required for a room steward?
Example: We ask to have the heavy duvet removed and a blanket with an extra sheet used, this means storing the duvet somewhere out of the room and obtaining the blanket,more work for the room steward:Example: We request the thin waffle weave robes instead of the heavy ones,more work for the room steward. Small things but appreciated,I would add more but I am sure you get my point.:)

Interesting concept some have come up with on tipping/gratuities/service charge/etc: if you receive services but don't see the person, you don't tip them......OK - you don't see the person who cleans your hotel room so you wouldn't tip them, even though they provide a daily, important service.

I always tip the hotel maid, and sometimes I get a thank you note. :D

Wow. Are you way off base in left field. I have worked as a Front desk clerk for years in everything from Ramada's to Hiltons. The staff that work cleaning rooms are often minority, low income, minimum wage employees that work very, very hard cleaning rooms, often 20 at a time, and do appreciate the tips that are almost never left behind. I have seen hotel rooms left looking like mini-disaster areas with piles of wasted food and pizza boxes, fast food wrappers and cups strwen everywhere, garbage, piles of beer cans, dirty underwear and 'protection' left on the sinks, dirty towels all over the floor, showers and sinks covered in toothpaste, shaving cream, and hair products, and just about anything else you can imagine left in the garbage cans and under the beds. We treat the room stewards on ships better for doing the exact same job the maid does at the hotel you just checked out of. And the largest number of hotel guests only stay for 1-night, maybe 2, and of course never leave a tip. They assume the room will be clean upon their arrival, and dont care what happens after they leave for the next guest to worry about.

Thank You for this response. I could not have said it better as I sit behind the front desk of a major hotel chain and have for the last 15 years.

I feel sorry for our housekeepers as they work much harder than I do, yet make signficantly less money than I for doing a back-breaking thankless job. Luckily we are primarily a corporate hotel and the business men do appreciate the job they do with tips.

Thanks. I understand when you ask for something you should express your appreciation. Short of special requests what can a steward do that is above and beyond?

We had a bottle of white wine setting out - I forgot to ask our steward to ice it up. The Steward did it and it was ready that night. Another time, had a bottle out, and didn't use it for a few nights, but each day, it was iced up...without asking, no speical request.

Mentioned we'd have company over early (well, 11am) and wanted the room cleaned and ready by then. Not only was the room emaculate, the steward changed the flowers (weren't wilted yet), put away some of the things sitting on the coffee table, brought in extra glasses, and left a note for who to ask for if something was needed since he was off duty at that time. none of which were special requests.

can go on, but I think you catch the tone. This was not a suite. And this is what I find special on Celebrity. Love cruising on other Lines, but I find Celebrity staff seems to take that extra step in anticipation of what is needed or what would help.

Denny

I have met so many people on my last three cruises who say they don't tip the waitstaff because they eat at the specialty dining room or at the pasta bar or sushi bar. They have their tips removed as soon as they get on the ship. They had no idea that the same waiter they are assigned to in the main dining room serves breakfast and lunch in the buffet area.

My daughter teaches but she waitresses on the weekends. She gets paid $2.99 ph from the restaurant owner because she gets tips. Out of her tips she shares with the hostess, bartender and the busboy. I have been told that in the UK, they get more per hour, like $l5, so that is why they don't get tips. Don't know if that is correct.

I just know that when we go out to dinner, we tip 20% of the check. Last Saturday night we went out for dinner. The check came to $62 and we left $12 tip. That was for one meal so I don't know why people complain about $ll.50 per day and that covers 5-6 people.

The crew on Celebrity work real hard. The cruiseline doesn't pay them much. We have cruised over 25 times and have never had bad service. Even those that don't wait on us are always smiling and always have a "hello". Each time we cruise with Celebrity we bump into crew members that DID wait on us on other cruises and they remember our name and ask about our family.

I get so mad at those people that act like big shots on the cruiseline, always throw their money away and yet complain when it comes to tipping.

We are Elite members. We get free drinks from 4-6 p.m. and always TIP the waitstaff.

You would not believe the people I have met in there who don't tip and don't feel that they should have to. They feel they paid enuf to get this benefit and that Celebrity owes them. Who are the losers? The fantastic waitstaff who are waiting for me to walk into that room with MY drink in THEIR hand. I will continue to take care of them. They spoil me. And what disgusts me is those Elite members who try to sneak their friends into the Michaels Club for those free drinks and still don't tip!

I have met so many people on my last three cruises who say they don't tip the waitstaff because they eat at the specialty dining room or at the pasta bar or sushi bar. They have their tips removed as soon as they get on the ship. They had no idea that the same waiter they are assigned to in the main dining room serves breakfast and lunch in the buffet area........

I'm sure there are some people who don't realize the MDR waitstaff also provides service in many other venues, but I have a feeling that many of those that remove their tips because they dine at a specialty restaurant some night or hit the pasta bar don't really care....they've come up with an excuse and will use it to the hilt. "I ate dinner at Murano's so I ran down and removed all my tips." Don't eat at the MDR so they remove all the gratuities? - tips for the Steward and all SR staff?? got it.

And of course, when they see their MDR waiter in the Buffet or serving breakfast, I guess they just think there are a lot of Twins on the ship....and in other countries, families name the twins the same name. Right, got it again.

I agree with JackDiamond...any excuse will work.

Denny

[quote name='wegiekat']Thank You for this response. I could not have said it better as I sit behind the front desk of a major hotel chain and have for the last 15 years.

I feel sorry for our housekeepers as they work much harder than I do, yet make signficantly less money than I for doing a back-breaking thankless job. Luckily we are primarily a corporate hotel and the business men do appreciate the job they do with tips.[/QUOTE]

Thankless, indeed. People tip the taxi driver, the bellboy, the waitress, the curbside porter, the concierge, the bar keeper, the front doorman. Everybody but the housekeeper that made sure your hotel room was clean when you checked in. Next time leave a dollar or two by the phone. It is much appreciated by people who sometimes hold down two jobs just to make ends meet.

I have cruised on about 7 cruises and the waiters many times say they rather get the envelope from the passenger for tips. As they get all types of taxes taken out and it greatly reduces their amount sometimes they lose out from tips altogether. Can you tell Celebrity not to put tips on youyr account at all? My cruise contract says they will add on $11.50 per day per passenger even WITH a late seating in the MDR.

Thanks All!

[quote name='Hibiscus13']"No one has ever refused my tip in any venue all over the world."

Try tipping in China - they will chase you out of the restaurant and hand you your money back. In some cultures it is offensive to leave tips.

I get that we are talking primarily about North American culture - but it is not the same around the world, and it's not the same in every situation.

Gratuities are just that - showing how [B][U][SIZE=3]gratuitous[/SIZE][/U][/B] you are for excellent service, not a standard handing over of cash because they showed up for work.[/quote]
<emphasis mine> Were you being [B][U]very[/U][/B] clever, or is that just a slip? :D

[quote name='jackdiamond']You are correct. Most folks who complain about the cruise tipping procedures are, in reality, stiffers.[/QUOTE]

I tip [b]exceedingly[/b] well. Frequently, in a restaurant I'll end up tipping 25% or even 30%.

But that's my [i]choice[/i], and I will not abide having my choice taken from me. If there's a "mandatory gratuity" then it's a lie (because by definition a gratuity is something you give above and beyond what is required), and it's invariably less than I would probably have actually tipped. I've been known to call the manager over and say "Look, you have a mandatory 15% tip, but I just want you to know, and I want the waiter/waitress to know, that I usually tip 25-30%, and your policy just screwed her out of $XX.XX". And that's only if I didn't know about it in advance. If I knew about it in advance, I probably didn't eat there in the first place.

For some of us, it's a matter of principle. You'll get my "above and beyond" money as a form of gratitude, and not as a requirement.

[quote name='unixgeek']I tip [B]exceedingly[/B] well. Frequently, in a restaurant I'll end up tipping 25% or even 30%.

But that's my [I]choice[/I], and I will not abide having my choice taken from me. If there's a "mandatory gratuity" then it's a lie (because by definition a gratuity is something you give above and beyond what is required), and it's invariably less than I would probably have actually tipped. I've been known to call the manager over and say "Look, you have a mandatory 15% tip, but I just want you to know, and I want the waiter/waitress to know, that I usually tip 25-30%, and your policy just screwed her out of $XX.XX". And that's only if I didn't know about it in advance. If I knew about it in advance, I probably didn't eat there in the first place.

For some of us, it's a matter of principle. You'll get my "above and beyond" money as a form of gratitude, and not as a requirement.[/quote]

So in order to 'make a point' with the managment who isn't impacted, you screw over the waitstaff........and of course you understand management is trying to protect the waitstaff since they usually add the 15% to large-party bills. Having worked 'the tables', I've been screwed over by the classic 10-person, $500 bill with a tip of $25. Yup, could have not filled his water fast enough...don't know, but it occured enough that the added 15% tip was Required.

So do as you wish, but your Principles miss your 'target' and hit the ones providing you the service....but since you are standing on your Principles, I'm sure you feel very good about it all. And it makes for another good excuse - thanks to JackDiamond for pointing that out, but of course, not in your case...........

Denny

Do people realize that the cruise industry as a whole is not even paying these people minimum wage for their 6-day work weeks, working 10-12 hours/day? I think it's wrong for the customers to be forced to pay that price after paying for cruise fare (i.e. cruiseline should pay better), but I can't imagine not paying that amount! Pre-paid, that's debatable. I get all the exchange rate arguments, etc. Just make sure you finish out the wage that these people work toward. I can't imagine how it feels to pour your heart out as a waiter and then find out at the end of the cruise that 8 out of the 10 people gave you 1/2 the "tips" you were supposed to get. :/

[quote name='jagoffee']Thank you for providing a good example of why cruise lines must at some point just call it a service charge and make it mandatory for everyone. I find non reversable service charges in many places in the world, so it would not be that unusual.

Personally I find this kind of attitude towards service staff to be sad.[/quote]
The nice thing about the tip/service charge is that it is [I][U]reversable[/U] [/I]unless one pre-pays. Is'nt nice to know that your waitstaff and room attendants know that their pay is not guarranteed. Bad service, bad pay. I don't usually pre pay, although I have a time or two. I have always got excellent service, in return I have always given fair tips, above the normal "guidelines".

Jon,

I like to prepay tips so I don't have to think about the cost at the end of my cruise. I don't mind if they include the cost of service as part of the cruise but I do feel that passengers should be compensated if there is bad service, just as as if you had bad service at any establishment.

We have taken lots of cruises and have had great service on most of our cruises. However, we have had our tips reduced on a couple of the cruises because of horrible service. We had read posts on CC saying you could not reduce the tips once they were paid, but that was false. Even those cruiselines who add tips to your daily account will reduce them if you insist. I assume it is because credit card companies will not accept charges to your account that you do not approve.

Archived