Made the Switch from Backpack to Messenger!

globe9

Hi Everyone,

GF and I take a lot of vacations and cruises and have always used a backpack for walking around/exploring ports, vacations spots etc. We put our cameras in there, wallets, drinks(bottled water, soda), sunglasses, ballcaps, books, guides, etc.

Lately and with back to school, I've noticed a lot of students with the messenger bag instead of backpack. This seems to be a much better method of carrying around our items, so I ordered one from Ebags over the weekend. I can't wait for it to get here. It's a 15" and has lots of pockets, quick release clips, etc.

I really think we'll like this messenger much better than the backpack. For one thing, I like how it will be worn across the body and hang on the hip making it much easier to access the camera, wallet etc. without having to take bag off of my person. Also seems like it will be a lot less bulky and awkward. Will be much better when riding in a bus or taxi as, again, it won't have to be removed to sit down comfortably.

Has anyone else made the switch? Do any cruisers here use a messenger bag instead of a backpack? Wondering what any cons would be? Will test it out when we get it with things we would carry on a cruise.

I ride a scooter and use a messanger bag everyday. The bag can get bulky. I place my protective jacket in it when I am off the scooter walking around. My only complaint is make sure that it has zippers for your important things. A backpack has zippers on all of the compartments. A messenger bag things can fall out. I find my backpack a better choice when on vacation-it gives me both hands free, with messanger bag I am always holding the bag to my side. Also a backpack has many small compartments with zippers.

Both are great to use. A messanger bag is a bit "cooler" to use but could make you look like a nerd!

Enjoy your trip!

I ride a scooter and use a messanger bag everyday. The bag can get bulky. I place my protective jacket in it when I am off the scooter walking around. My only complaint is make sure that it has zippers for your important things. A backpack has zippers on all of the compartments. A messenger bag things can fall out. I find my backpack a better choice when on vacation-it gives me both hands free, with messanger bag I am always holding the bag to my side. Also a backpack has many small compartments with zippers.

Both are great to use. A messanger bag is a bit "cooler" to use but could make you look like a nerd!

Enjoy your trip!

The messenger I ordered has zippers and many small compartments on inside of main compartment, as well as a Napoleon sleeve kind of thing. I don't think anyone with a messenger looks like a nerd. In fact, most of the students around here(Tulane/Loyola etc.) use messengers almost exclusively. I think the messenger will be hands free for me. I've observed many students, like I said, and they all seem to use them hands free. Wouldn't think it would get too bulky, but I won't have a jacket in it either.

The one I ordered is made out of backpack material and has some pretty cool colors.

I could be completely wrong about all of this too :D Guess we'll see when it arrives, but I think I'll like it. I found my backpack to be too bulky.

Thanks for the response though!

Good luck with your man purse.

LOL, I'm actually a female. BTW, lots of "messenger" type bags these days are quite large 15" and bigger, hold laptops, etc. and don't look anything like a purse. I actually prefer the look of a messenger to a backpack nowadays.

I'm sure some males would disagree :D

Good luck with your man purse.

It's a U N I sex bag

From FRIENDS:

Joey: But it is odd how a women's purse looks good on me, a man.

Rachel: Exactly! Unisex!

Joey: Maybe you need sex. I had sex a couple days ago.

Rachel: No! No, Joey! U-N-I-sex.

Joey: Well, I ain't gonna say no to that.

I had to Google it to see what it is.

How is this different from a purse?

I guess it could be called a purse, but do you really think this looks like a purse? I don't.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/classic-messenger

My mother carried bigger.....she had all kinds of stuff in there. :eek:

We used to joke that it had "US MAIL" imprinted on the side. :p

I only use my Murse on cruises. I wear it so that half of it is below my hip and half above the hip. The outside flap has an angled zipper which keeps the zipper tab up close to my upper body where a pickpocket is less likely to go unnoticed.

It's a great carryall when travelling for all the reasons the OP stated.

My mother carried bigger.....she had all kinds of stuff in there. :eek:

We used to joke that it had "US MAIL" imprinted on the side. :p

Oh, I'm sure she did have a much bigger bag. I have friends whose purses are huge, but they don't look anything like the link I supplied as an example. They look like purses...usually made of leather or faux leather with decoration and details. My female friends wouldn't be caught dead with a Timbuk 2 messenger as an actual purse:eek: They'd think it was totally ugly LOL

Anyway, I'll see how it does on my upcoming cruise. I may hate it and switch back to my backpack. Thanks for all the replies though....I did laugh out loud at the uni-sex comment LOL

OHMYGAWD you can make it in your choice of colors and fabrics. :D I love that. I'm such a sucker for things like that.

But ratz, I just bought a new backpack for my last cruise. I wonder if I can manage to lose it. Although I do need to measure my flippers. My backpack just holds my flippers, snorkel and mask. And I think with a bad back probably something centered on my back would be better than across.

But I do think they look much cooler than a backpack.

Backpacks are much better and less expensive in the long run. If you go with the man-bag the next thing you have do is get the matching shoes, and belt. It's just such a pain to accessorize! And then you'll want to start manscaping. It's a vicious circle. Don't do it.

I use both a backpack (my personal item when flying) and an Eagle Creek messenger bag the rest of the time. It's big enough for my high-zoom camera and other stuff, has a water bottle pocket on the side, and a long enough strap to wear cross-body. And I'm female, by the way. I tried to get DH to use a messenger type bag for his personal item for flying and it was a "no-go" so he has a backpack too.

I've travelled with both on different trips in the past and I'd take a messenger type bag any day over a backpack. I carry a DSLR with telephoto, second lens, compact digital, wallet, water bottle etc and as mine is black I don't stand out as much as if I was carrying a backpack. In dodgy areas I'll wear the bag across the front of my body and I can change lenses or cameras without having to remove the bag - unlike the backpack.

Interestingly, at a photographic society meeting last month one of the top pro photographers here recommended ditching the camera backpack and going with a messenger type camera bag so you don't draw any unwanted attention to yourself. Anyway, it works for me!

We have switched over to a sling bag for port excursions. It holds enough for a day tour and is easier to handle and more comfortable to wear. We have a mini and a regular size... depends on what we need to take.:)

like this: http://www.ebags.com/product/ful/peabody-mini-sling/86454?productid=1125702

I have that exact bag myself. I also got a larger Ameribag Healthy Back Bag and I love it - so much I got a second one for everyday use! Lots of zippered or velcroed pockets.

The recent security article on CC says back packs are more risky than cross body bags. Backpacks can be slit from someone from behind without the wearer noticing. I have always wondered about this but I suspect it could be true. I wear some type of cross body bag now. Women especially have unlimited choices. These ease of things at hand does it for me. Hope your new bag works out for you.

Archived