Docking in Venice

On the Brilliance in Oct and docking in Venice on 12th. Schedule states we are in port at 1.30 and I am currently planning our routes/stops on the Vaporetto based on this time. Can anyone who has been on this particular cruise please inform me if it is possible to disembark at 1.30 or is it actually sometime later? Many thanks, in anticipation. Paul

On the Brilliance in Oct and docking in Venice on 12th. Schedule states we are in port at 1.30 and I am currently planning our routes/stops on the Vaporetto based on this time. Can anyone who has been on this particular cruise please inform me if it is possible to disembark at 1.30 or is it actually sometime later? Many thanks, in anticipation. Paul

I would allow a little flexibility in your timing. When we were there in June 2008 we were late (maybe an hour or two) actually docking as the fishermen were blocking the entry to the canal. I forget what they were protesting (but it didn't have anything to do with us). They finally moved and allowed us through. We joked that the Captain probably went out and bought all of the fish from them to allow us through so that we would be eating nothing but fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the rest of the cruise. LOL!

Since the channel into Venice is very shallow you arrival is timed with High Tide. The tides can be affected by factors such as wind so you could arrive early, late, or on time.

. . . and in Venice it is always good to have a back up plan. The first day we were there in 2007, the Vaporetto operators were on strike.

Didn't mean to give the wrong impression. Have a back up plan, but Venice is amazing. Still our favorite cruise -- sail away was unelievable. Thanks to the Vaporetto strike we did a lot of walking while touring the city. A great way to see the city. Hey its a relatively small island -- nothing is too far away and you cannot get too lost. Plus the directions to the points of interest are posted along all of the walk ways [kind of hard to call them streets).

Didn't mean to give the wrong impression. Have a back up plan, but Venice is amazing. Still our favorite cruise -- sail away was unelievable. Thanks to the Vaporetto strike we did a lot of walking while touring the city. A great way to see the city. Hey its a relatively small island -- nothing is too far away and you cannot get too lost. Plus the directions to the points of interest are posted along all of the walk ways [kind of hard to call them streets).

Thanks again for the info. I am a bit concerned as the schedule is dock at 1.30pm day one and leave at 2pm day two. However, not as good as it sounds if we can't get off the ship until 3pm day one and have to be back on by 1pm day two. Anyway, all sorted now and have arranged to see what we want to with loads of time to spare.

Cheers. Paul

We were in Venice, on the BOTS, in August and docked to the minute, at 13:30. The sail into Venice was amazing with classical music being transmitted from the ship as we slowly glided along the canal. After arrival we had a quick lunch and then made our way into Venice.

We took the people mover, for 1euro each, to Piazella Roma, and bought 24 hour Vaperetto tickets at the quay. We took a number of journeys, to and from the ship, during that time.

This was our third visit to Venice, but I am still mesmerised by that magical place, and it was the highlight of my trip.

To Novice Welsh:

Not arriving until 3pm isn't really the problem you might expect BECAUSE you are docked overnight and don't leave until mid-day. We've sailed roundtrip out of Venice and also done several landed vacations there. The joy of Venice isn't so much what is inside buildings that you might want to visit (I'm guessing that is your worry) but rather the pure magic of Venice is AFTER THE CRUISE SHIPS and the masses LEAVE!! You are so fortunate to be spending the night. Please leave the ship and don't return for dinner....walk the streets, find a "mom and pop" spot to eat on a back alley, get lost in the back streets (walking under hanging laundry), sit in St.Marks and drink wine while listening to music, etc. Don't return to the ship until you are so pooped that you can't take another step or cross another bridge.....Ahh, Venice at night!!! DO, DO, DO get up as early as possible and get off the ship in the VERY EARLY morning and watch the locals come to work. The streets will be empty except for you and the locals preparing for the day. Yes, you'll get very little sleep by doing this but it is worth it..........heck, you can sleep late on a sea day! Venice is our favorite city in the world (after the cruisers depart)! AND, if you are with the love of your life, make a pact to kiss at the top of every bridge you cross...whoopee, it's a great way to tour Venice.

Archived