Dining with kids on Oasis!?! Help!

Call them spoiled, but my kids like to eat NICE meals...steak, lobster and the like. What is up with this rule that kids under 13 have to eat before 7 a Chops? Can not make a reservation until on the boat? This is silly! We do not eat until 10:00 in Europe. We have rented a suite but worry about accessing fine dining while on board. WE WANT TO SPEND MONEY EACH NIGHT FOR GOOD FOOD!!! Thoughts?

Book all the adults in your party for the specialty dining and add the under 13s later. You will have to make your bookings online before 7pm.

If there is no availability, wait until you get onboard and book then. They may let you book later with the kids but they may not.

ps in my experience the 7pm-8:30pm slots go quickest. There will probably be availability at 9pm and you can ask the person doing the bookings if they would allow your kids at that time.

We have the same problem with our kids. They love all the specialty restaurants. We had no problem getting them added to our reservations this April on the Liberty. However, we made sure that we had an early reservation. I would go ahead and book your restaurants for the adults in advance, but make them for around 6:00. Yes, this is crazy early, but you can always eat a big snack later in the evening. Then, on the first day, go directly to the restaurant and speak to them about adding the children. They will more than likely let you change your reservation for 9 p.m. or later, but if they don't, then at least you will already have another reservation.

Call them spoiled, but my kids like to eat NICE meals...steak, lobster and the like. What is up with this rule that kids under 13 have to eat before 7 a Chops? Can not make a reservation until on the boat? This is silly! We do not eat until 10:00 in Europe. We have rented a suite but worry about accessing fine dining while on board. WE WANT TO SPEND MONEY EACH NIGHT FOR GOOD FOOD!!! Thoughts?

Yes, since you ask. It is an ADULT venue. They make a concession by allowing kids under 13 to eat there before 7. Of course, I understand that YOUR kids are much more mature, well-behaved, etc., than other kids, but people who book this venue want quiet adult time and are entitled to expect just that. If they allow your kids in at any time, they would then have to open it up to all kids. Those are my thoughts.

My kids like good food too. I took them to Portofino's on one of RCI" ships. The food was a big disappointment. We really prefer the main dining room. You'll be able to find steak etc there. The attraction is really the quietness of the specialty restaurants and the additional service, which I found a little over the top.

Yes, since you ask. It is an ADULT venue. They make a concession by allowing kids under 13 to eat there before 7. Of course, I understand that YOUR kids are much more mature, well-behaved, etc., than other kids, but people who book this venue want quiet adult time and are entitled to expect just that. If they allow your kids in at any time, they would then have to open it up to all kids. Those are my thoughts.

The specialty restaurants are one of the very, very few places that are adult only. Please respect the rules about the times. Many adults want a place where they can go where there will be no children. Not to say yours won't be quiet and respectful in an adult environment, they might. But there are lots of them that would not and there is no way for the cruiseline to determine that which is why they have made exceptions to the adults only venue by allowing children in at a set time. That way adults that choose to eat early will know that there may be children present while those that choose to eat later can be assured that there will not be.

Why not dine in the Main Dining Room each night? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DR on Oasis and they can have all the steak (every night) and lobster (one night only) they want. Plus, you won't have to pay the surcharge for them.

By the way, just a note that using ALL CAPS on a message board is tantamount to you yelling at us. If you're upset, then so be it, but for your first post you don't really have to come out with both guns blazing. People here are nice and we are happy to help. Just a FYI. :)

the specialty restaurants are one of the very, very few places that are adult only. Please respect the rules about the times. Many adults want a place where they can go where there will be no children. Not to say yours won't be quiet and respectful in an adult environment, they might. But there are lots of them that would not and there is no way for the cruiseline to determine that which is why they have made exceptions to the adults only venue by allowing children in at a set time. That way adults that choose to eat early will know that there may be children present while those that choose to eat later can be assured that there will not be.

agree!!:)

I made reservations at Giovanni's and the Chinese place on the Oasis. Anyone know if those are any good? I could not find a menu for the Chinese restaurant.

I know it sounds like I might be a Mom in denial about their children's behavior on this dining issue.. I just wish there were more options for upscale dining with kids. Our favorite family time is long quiet dinners, preferably with impeccable service and food...and wine for me:o

No one appreciates adult time more than me so I understand wanting to dine without the interruption of children. Sadly, there are a lot of parents out there that tolerate bad behavior. As best that I can tell though, we are limited to 3 specialty restaurants due to the ages of my children.

My kids are younger but I have the same issue. On Disney they were happy with ordering in the main dinning room off the adult menu never the child menu. My DD put it best "why would they think I wanted to eat chicken fingers or pizza its vacation". They eat so "grown up" the head waiter came multable times and was shocked, it became a joke. He brought them a special plate a few times.

But they also like to eat earlier so the times work for us.

Don't knock the main dining room until you've tried it. My kids (although only 3 and 4) love good food too. Everynight on our recent cruise (Carnival Dream) they ordered off the adult menu.

I agree that IF I were going to pay for private dining (never have!) I would want it to be in a quiet elegant atmosphere that is romantic. I don't think you can have that if there are kids around. And like others said, while your kids may be well-behaved, not all children are.

Don't knock the main dining room until you've tried it. My kids (although only 3 and 4) love good food too. Everynight on our recent cruise (Carnival Dream) they ordered off the adult menu.

I agree that IF I were going to pay for private dining (never have!) I would want it to be in a quiet elegant atmosphere that is romantic. I don't think you can have that if there are kids around. And like others said, while your kids may be well-behaved, not all children are.

Fodd is very subjective, but I was pretty disappointed in the MDR food on the Oasis. Actually I thought it was the worst cruiseline fare I've had by a large margin. We felt it was attempted gourmet that failed miserably (good presentation, terrible flavor and texture).

Hmm. Interesting about the MDR. My kids are 10 and 13, so it is really only the 10 year old that is messing us up. Despite his age, he eats twice as much as I do. We travel a lot and have been fortunate to dine at some amazing spots which always makes coming home to my cooking and the typical restaurant chains a big bummer. For the last 8 years we have spent our summers in Europe. They do not have "kids menu's" and no one ever eats dinner before 9:00, so that is what we have come to enjoy when we vacation. But of course we will go with the flow and stick with the rules.

Anyone remember if there is a great place to watch the NFL on the Oasis? Is there a sports bar? Is there a tv in the Tapas restaurant?

Hmm. Interesting about the MDR. My kids are 10 and 13, so it is really only the 10 year old that is messing us up. Despite his age, he eats twice as much as I do. We travel a lot and have been fortunate to dine at some amazing spots which always makes coming home to my cooking and the typical restaurant chains a big bummer. For the last 8 years we have spent our summers in Europe. They do not have "kids menu's" and no one ever eats dinner before 9:00, so that is what we have come to enjoy when we vacation. But of course we will go with the flow and stick with the rules.

Anyone remember if there is a great place to watch the NFL on the Oasis? Is there a sports bar? Is there a tv in the Tapas restaurant?

On The Air Club on the Promanade acts as both a Karaoke bar and a sports bar.

Archived