Anchorage to Fairbanks

travelingmom37

We arrive in Anchorage on a Monday afternoon ( 6/20/11) after a full day of air travel and need to be in Fairbanks the next day to begin our Celebrity Cruise Tour.

Our best choice appears to be a quick flight on Alaska Air ( or other airline?) the evening we arrive so we can minimize dealing with our luggage by staying in the airport. My concern is that if our flight to ANC is delayed, we could get stuck. Would it be better to fly to Fairbanks the next morning?

Are there any "airport" hotels at ANC? My regular hotel web sites offer little information, an airport shuttle or on-site hotel would be ideal. Both locations are pricey, suggestions????????

thanks

We arrive in Anchorage on a Monday afternoon ( 6/20/11) after a full day of air travel and need to be in Fairbanks the next day to begin our Celebrity Cruise Tour.

Our best choice appears to be a quick flight on Alaska Air ( or other airline?) the evening we arrive so we can minimize dealing with our luggage by staying in the airport. My concern is that if our flight to ANC is delayed, we could get stuck. Would it be better to fly to Fairbanks the next morning?

Are there any "airport" hotels at ANC? My regular hotel web sites offer little information, an airport shuttle or on-site hotel would be ideal. Both locations are pricey, suggestions????????

thanks

The other airline would be ERA Aviation. Have you checked the ANC to FAI schedules because there usually are quite a few of them.

There is no hotel on airport property but lots within probably 2 to 3 miles. You have a Marriott Courtyard, the Millenium, the Holiday Inn Express, Quality Suites, a Microtel and a Westcoast International.

Though you're probably looking at $150+ for a hotel room here in Anchorage during the summer, if not more.

We also have a local place called Puffin Inn. Not sure what they charge.

A good starting point is www.kayak.com. This goes out and looks at lots of sights and will give you good look at the costs. But I usually find that the lowest prices are usually advanced purchase and are nonrefundable.

Susan in Anchorage :)

thanks

Not sure why you are flying into Anchorage, but there are several runs Anchorage/Fairbanks every day. You need to find this schedule yourself, then decide when you want the flight.

It is going to make little difference where you stay this night, but I would strongly encourage you to add another day. Fairbanks, has tons of stuff to do, which cruisetours do not include, or overall, see much of Fairbanks..

Both of these cities, have plenty of airport area lodging. listings http://www.anchorage.net http://www.explorefairbanks.com

Thank you for the prompt responses.

I am flying into ANC vs/ Fairbanks because that is where our frequent flier miles can take us for no charge. Otherwise looking at flights that are $1000/pp.without utilizing the miles. We have to leave only one day in advance as our youngest goes off to camp for a month the day before.

We will return to Fairbanks for a day prior to our cruise. Despite the high hotel rates, it is still far cheaper than paying for air. I welcome any ideas for what to do in both cities.

The hotel ideas help. I also use Kayak but having never been to Alaska, I figured these boards were a good place to start. As always, CC did not disappoint.

Thanks Again!

• 1 year later...

Susan, I just booked Delta FF seats for next year and needed to use ANC for availability and add the ANC to FAI leg on Alaska Air for a great price :)

Can you tell me if there is an advantage to sitting in seat A over the other side? Wondering about seeing Denali if we have good visibility (3pm flight time). :)

Susan, I just booked Delta FF seats for next year and needed to use ANC for availability and add the ANC to FAI leg on Alaska Air for a great price :)

Can you tell me if there is an advantage to sitting in seat A over the other side? Wondering about seeing Denali if we have good visibility (3pm flight time). :)

Never know about that dang mountain and it's weather, but you want to be in the seats that are A through C, as that's the left side of the plane and going from here to Fairbanks that's the side McKinley is on.

Never know about that dang mountain and it's weather, but you want to be in the seats that are A through C, as that's the left side of the plane and going from here to Fairbanks that's the side McKinley is on.

That is what I was thinking when I put myself in seat A. I thought they would usually stay east of the mountain :)

I’m not sure they still do it but I’ve been on two flights, one with MarkAir and one with Alaska, that actually deviated from their flight path and circled Denali on a clear day on the way between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Hmmm, that is interesting! I guess even the pilots take advantage of a clear day. On my last trip my flight home from ANC the mountain was clearly visible so I can't imagine how awesome it would be to circle it :D

Didn't know that information about the right side of the aircraft to sit on from ANC to Fairbanks. Does that also apply to flights on Alaska Air from Seattle to Fairbanks? That's our route next summer for the beginning of our cruisetour. We are booked in seats A and C.

Didn't know that information about the right side of the aircraft to sit on from ANC to Fairbanks. Does that also apply to flights on Alaska Air from Seattle to Fairbanks? That's our route next summer for the beginning of our cruisetour. We are booked in seats A and C.

Yes, as all the planes have to go north to get to Fairbanks, and you're on the right side for McKinley.

Susan :)

Yes, the right side going north is the left side. :)

Yes, as all the planes have to go north to get to Fairbanks, and you're on the right side for McKinley.

Susan :)

Awesome, thanks Susan for your help :D Now I just have to hope that we have a clear day. The closest I've gotten in the past was Talkeetna but the view was amazing!

Awesome, thanks Susan for your help :D Now I just have to hope that we have a clear day. The closest I've gotten in the past was Talkeetna but the view was amazing!

Heck, I think more than not, I've seen McKinley on the way home, not while in the Park.

One thing I did one year, is I took my Mom and Dad on a flightseeing tour out of Lake Hood to McKinley. It was an absolutely bluebird (term picked up from the pilot in the office, all blue not a cloud in the sky) day and we headed north. It was so clear on our circle around the Mountain that we could actually see the climbers doing their thing.

Even after 30+ years this State still impresses me! Definitely never take it for granted, that's for sure!

Archived