Shopping near Civitavecchia port

I'mGrammy

We were at the port in 2008 and there was nothing there. We had a driver waiting for us and we jumped into the car and took off. I did not see any shopping around. Your driver will have a good spot for you to stop. Ours recommended the best little restaurant off the beaten path that had the best pizza we ever had and the house wine was great. Wish I could remember the name. Be sure to have gelato wherever you go. It is so good. Bon Voyage!

There is nothing within the port, but Civi is a modern community, and has stores. We walked from the fort (port entrance) 6 blocks- 1 block south, 3-4 blocks east (thru the pedestrian area of the town), and, looking one block north on a fairly major street, for a Carrefour store. It has a good selection of alcohol, and better prices than Rome or Messina, where we had made purchases before.

Carrefour is a chain available widely in Europe.

There is nothing within the port, but Civi is a modern community, and has stores. We walked from the fort (port entrance) 6 blocks- 1 block south, 3-4 blocks east (thru the pedestrian area of the town), and, looking one block north on a fairly major street, for a Carrefour store. It has a good selection of alcohol, and better prices than Rome or Messina, where we had made purchases before.

Carrefour is a chain available widely in Europe.

I agree, there is nothing within the port

I'm curious about this Carrefour store. I'm certainly no expert on Civitavecchia, but this store doesn't appear on the Carrefour web site nor on Pagine Gialle (Italian yellow pages) and the directions given are somewhat vague.

The closest supermercato that I'm finding is a little less than a mile from the port entrance:

MULTIMARKET 98 SRL

Supermercati e centri commerciali

Via Giuseppe Mazzini 13 - 00053 CIVITAVECCHIA (RM)

tel: 0766 23109 - 0766 31556

I know there are smaller alimentari (food shops) closer to the port, but I don't have any names or addresses.

I'm curious about this Carrefour store. I'm certainly no expert on Civitavecchia, but this store doesn't appear on the Carrefour web site nor on Pagine Gialle (Italian yellow pages) and the directions given are somewhat vague.

It was there on Aug 29th. As the 29th is a Sunday, we were a little concerned about how early anything would be open. As we were walking there just after 9, very little was open. But the Carrefour was open.

Sorry about the vague instructions. But we were just walking and looking. We didn't have a specific location in mind. We just stumbled upon it. Compared to the other locations we had bought alcohol at, it was good sized. But small by American standards.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing aboard liquor, soft drinks or anything else varies by cruise line.

It is not a duty free issue, because we bought at a standard store, subject to standard taxes. Duty free is usually a special, limited access location where taxes are not charged, as per international law and agreements.

I had a driver from Rome Cabs and asked him to stop at a supermaket to pick up wine and mineral water. He stopped at a co-op type supermarket that was located near the exit from the highway. Ask the driver. I am sure he will know where to stop.

Archived