Question (kind of a stupid question)....

RedskinsCruiser2010

So I am going on my first RCCL cruise this Sunday (FINALLY!!!!!). And a coworker started talking to me about being careful and watching out for the jellyfish in the water (even though she has never been stung ). I am going to Labadee, St. Martin and Puerto Rico. Is a jellyfish bite that common? I have no clue what to do if I do get bitten by one. I dont plan on going to deep in the water but I was kind of freaked out. I am sure it hurts right? :confused:

A jellyfish sting kind of burns/itches. I once got into some off of Virginia Beach, VA. No idea whether they're worse (more painful) in warmer water.

As far as remedy -- there is a quick remedy that's probably as much folk cure as real medical advice. Apparently it works. Not sure I want to be the one to mention it...

A jellyfish sting kind of burns/itches. I once got into some off of Virginia Beach, VA. No idea whether they're worse (more painful) in warmer water.

As far as remedy -- there is a quick remedy that's probably as much folk cure as real medical advice. Apparently it works. Not sure I want to be the one to mention it...

LOL! I think I have heard about what you are talking about. I just do not want to get bitten by one. They are not in shallow water right?

LOL! I think I have heard about what you are talking about. I just do not want to get bitten by one. They are not in shallow water right?

Yes, jellyfish can be in shallow water. I got stung by one on a South Carolina beach on my leg and I was in waist deep water(to me this is shallow). My grandson also got a jellyfish sting....he is 7 and was in shallow water.

Urine and vinegar are supposed to take away the sting. I don't know about anyone else, but I usually don't carry a bottle of vinegar with me to the beach!!!

They don't bite and they don't attack....they are floating, and if you come into contact, it can sting (they have long, trailing tentacles) and it hurts like the devil! There is a first-aid station...they will have something to put on it. (Vinegar, meat tenderizer, etc... are all "home remedies")

They can be anywhere...even on the sand, if they are washed onto the beach. The top of the jellyfish won't hurt you...it's the tentacles that hang below.

Whether they're at any of the beaches is anyone's guess....they float with tides and currents.

You should bring some benadryl to take, if you get stung....it's an antihistamine...it will help with any residual itching that may occur.

They don't bite and they don't attack....they are floating, and if you come into contact, it can sting (they have long, trailing tentacles) and it hurts like the devil! There is a first-aid station...they will have something to put on it. (Vinegar, meat tenderizer, etc... are all "home remedies")

They can be anywhere...even on the sand, if they are washed onto the beach. The top of the jellyfish won't hurt you...it's the tentacles that hang below.

Whether they're at any of the beaches is anyone's guess....they float with tides and currents.

You should bring some benadryl to take, if you get stung....it's an antihistamine...it will help with any residual itching that may occur.

lol, Iv heard what the above posters are talking about ... peeing on it.

I was bit about 15 times at Coco Cay once (Royal Caribbean's private island) and honestly, it hurt less than a mosquito bite. I'm super sensitive to bug bites and I seriously had no reaction. Cold water compresses did the trick for me, and I think I put a bit of Benadryl creme on a couple of bites that were a bit itchy.

I'm sorry you hadn't asked about this earlier, because there's a lotion called SeaSafe that I buy on the internet that truly repels jellyfish and sand fleas. It's also a sunscreen. I think I paid $10 or so for 2 bottles. The stuff goes a long way and has a long shelf life, so I still have enough left for a couple more cruises.

If you plan on taking another cruise (or cruises!), you might want to Google SeaSafe and read what the manufacturer has to say....

I was bit about 15 times at Coco Cay once (Royal Caribbean's private island) and honestly, it hurt less than a mosquito bite. I'm super sensitive to bug bites and I seriously had no reaction. Cold water compresses did the trick for me, and I think I put a bit of Benadryl creme on a couple of bites that were a bit itchy.

Jellyfish do not bite, but rather they float by you in the water and when they brush up against you it is a sting. Some stings are worse than others. When I got stung it was very painful and I had a huge mark about 10 inches long on my thigh. It hurt for several days.

I'm sorry you hadn't asked about this earlier, because there's a lotion called SeaSafe that I buy on the internet that truly repels jellyfish and sand fleas. It's also a sunscreen. I think I paid $10 or so for 2 bottles. The stuff goes a long way and has a long shelf life, so I still have enough left for a couple more cruises.

If you plan on taking another cruise (or cruises!), you might want to Google SeaSafe and read what the manufacturer has to say....

I found it under SafeSea...I'm going to try it.

the episode of friends was classic with a jelly fish sting. The remedy have someone pee on it. I know it sounds gross but that is what you are suppose to do. Sorry...

Also vinegar and meat tenderizer are supposed to help but how many of us carry these in our beach bag?

So I am going on my first RCCL cruise this Sunday (FINALLY!!!!!). And a coworker started talking to me about being careful and watching out for the jellyfish in the water :confused:

Forget those jellyfish.

It is the man eating sharks you need to watch out for. :eek:

Archived