Legend and the Skyway Bridge

stanrock22

If you have and early dining time you will miss it. You do not want to miss it.

We struggled with the decision...miss dinner to see the bridge? In the end dinner won out. We were lucky enough to have a window table at the back of the ship and did get to see the bridge AFTER the Legend had passed under! (It as right around 6:30 pm)

Carnival%20Legend%20-%20071.JPG

And we drove over the bridge the day before - took pics from the rest area on the other side - just thought it would be cool to see it from all sides!

It was storming when we left port, so we could not see it as well - but we got up about 3:30am to see it on the way back in - dark, of course, but with the lights on it was still pretty!

And we drove over the bridge the day before - took pics from the rest area on the other side - just thought it would be cool to see it from all sides!

It was storming when we left port, so we could not see it as well - but we got up about 3:30am to see it on the way back in - dark, of course, but with the lights on it was still pretty!

It's freaky to drive over that bridge. I swear it shakes. It probably has to do with my memory of the original Skyway. I was a Sr. in High School when that tragedy happened. I will never forget where I was when we got the news. A very sad day for the Tampa Bay area. The US Coast Guard puts on a memorial service each year on the anniversary of the tragedy. It is held on the St.Pete side at the Rest park. There is a memorial set up there for those that lost their lives.

Will you elaborate on the tragedy for me? I was on the Legend last week, and was up on the upper deck when we passed under the bridge. I had this mental image of someone on the bridge jumping on the ship to stowaway.

I Loved it when the Legend's horn blew just after we went under.

Melanie

Will you elaborate on the tragedy for me? I was on the Legend last week, and was up on the upper deck when we passed under the bridge. I had this mental image of someone on the bridge jumping on the ship to stowaway.

I Loved it when the Legend's horn blew just after we went under.

Melanie

The shipping channel going from the Gulf of Mexico into Port of Tampa is 58 miles and one of the longest and most treacherous in the world due to the shallow waters. Most ships require a Harbor Pilot to guide them in.

On May 7, 1980 a Harbor Pilot was guiding the Summet Venture into the port of Tampa. The radar went out on the ship and it was blinding rain and wind. (This was just a typical rain strom not a Hurricaine or other) anyway, the ship captain did not want to risk going under the bridge as the span is very narrow and you have to be very accurate. He wanted to wait it out but the HP wanted to guide it in "blind". The ship started under the bridge and hit a mainspan pole taking the center span of the bridge and the cars and vehicles above, into the water. Many folks lost their lives including a full Greyhound bus on it's way to Miami.

If you google, skyway bridge tragedy, the St.Pete Times article will come up along with some pictures. There is a pic of a car that stopped within inches of going over.

The news channels came on TV and asked for anyone with a boat to please try to assist. It was a terrible incident, One I will never forget. :(

Parts of the original Skyway are still in place and used today as a fishing pier.

Watching Legend make her way under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge into international waters is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! I remember saying to my husband "OMG we're going to HIT the bridge!" as we sailed under! I think the funnel clears the bottom of the bridge by a couple of feet.

It is my understanding that a Spirit class ship is the largest ship in Carnivals fleet that can be ported out of Tampa.... The Destiny class and larger aren't able to sail under the bridge... Maybe a old wives tale but the funnel sure looks awful close when the Legend sails under it....:eek:

Joey & Pat

Susan, where are you???? No chat in a long long time.....:(

I was visiting my daughter in Tampa and driving over the bridge on Sunday - the 5th of this month - with view of the ship coming up to the bridge (beautiful sight as I will be on her next May!).

When I got to the top of the bridge - there was a police car with it's lights on just sitting at the top. I was thinking that this may be what they routinely do - to prevent someone from jumping on?! :confused:

It's a cool sight to see from the bridge as well! But a better view on board, I'm sure! :D

Thank you so much for the pictures...they are wonderful. The one of the funnel is fantastic!!

Thank you also for the explanation.....I will go your link and check it out. It is one of those.."Where were you when" questions for Florida residents.

Melanie

I was visiting my daughter in Tampa and driving over the bridge on Sunday - the 5th of this month - with view of the ship coming up to the bridge (beautiful sight as I will be on her next May!).

When I got to the top of the bridge - there was a police car with it's lights on just sitting at the top. I was thinking that this may be what they routinely do - to prevent someone from jumping on?! :confused:

It's a cool sight to see from the bridge as well! But a better view on board, I'm sure! :D

I think the State Troopers do that as folks want to stop at the top of the bridge to take pictures of the ship sailing under. It is my understanding that the Legend clears the bridge with less than 5 feet to spare. It must be quite a sight to be in a car and see such a large ship approaching with such a small clearance.

Archived