Dollars still accepted?

39august

There was much ado a couple of months ago about the Mexican government saying that no US dollars were to be accepted. What is the situation currently (no pun intended)in Coz and Costa Maya, please? It would be very cumbersome if taxis had to be paid in pesos!

I am copying and pasting this from a similar thread on the Costa Maya board. If this is true it makes it confusing for those who have already booked excursions where the balance was to be paid in US $ once there! Hopefully someone with definitive knowledge or those who return in the next little while can post their experiences

From Tavelindustrytoday.com

16 SEP 2010: Effective immediately all vacationers travelling to Mexico will be required to use Mexican pesos only. Other currencies, including Canadian and American dollars will no longer be accepted in the country.

The use of international credit cards is unaffected as transactions will continue to be processed in Mexican pesos, as per current practice.

It is recommended that travellers bring Mexican pesos and/or credit cards to avoid difficulties

I am copying and pasting this from a similar thread on the Costa Maya board. If this is true it makes it confusing for those who have already booked excursions where the balance was to be paid in US $ once there! Hopefully someone with definitive knowledge or those who return in the next little while can post their experiences

From Tavelindustrytoday.com

16 SEP 2010: Effective immediately all vacationers travelling to Mexico will be required to use Mexican pesos only. Other currencies, including Canadian and American dollars will no longer be accepted in the country.

The use of international credit cards is unaffected as transactions will continue to be processed in Mexican pesos, as per current practice.

It is recommended that travellers bring Mexican pesos and/or credit cards to avoid difficulties

Havent heard this, but I'm sure the cruise ship will let you know (I assume) whether or not you have to convert into pesos before you visit Mexico.

I would actually think that could hurt the tourist trade/profits. I know I tend to buy more if I can use US money rather than going thru the trouble of exchanging. And I'm not going to use the credit card for small purchases. So, for me, if I have to convert to pesos I will buy alot less.

I'll be waiting to see what the practical effects are. We go in Nov.

Havent heard this, but I'm sure the cruise ship will let you know (I assume) whether or not you have to convert into pesos before you visit Mexico.

Do cruise ships typically have currenciy exchanges or do you have to do it either at the airport before leaving or once yuo get to Cozumel?

I hadn't heard this before, but just a couple of thoughts. There are plenty of ATM machines that will give you pesos. If you use your debit card you avoid the conversion fee (check with your bank to make sure tho). Also, I seriously doubt that your dollars will be turned away. Cab drivers, restaurant workers, tour companies...they all hedge the USD against their peso or exchange at a rate that pays a few extra points in their favor.

Starting Sept. 15th the Mexican Government has made it that any transaction over $100 has to be in pesos. This is due to all the recent drug wars and killings. They were going to make the amount $30 but I guess decided upon $100.

The travel industry today article posts no government source that is reporting this and is very vague. I doubt that any taxi driver in Cozumel is going to demand pesos when the only money that I have is a US dollar.

Here is a video from a news channel on it.

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/video.aspx?id=510975

Anyone just back this week from Mexico can you tell us if US dollars were acceptable. We will be in Cozumel and Costa Maya in 3 weeks,,,,will we need Peso's for small purchases under 100.00,,,,drinks,food and such!

I know a lot of travelers are waiting to hear if we need to go get Peso's......hoping NOT

Anyone just back this week from Mexico can you tell us if US dollars were acceptable. We will be in Cozumel and Costa Maya in 3 weeks,,,,will we need Peso's for small purchases under 100.00,,,,drinks,food and such!

I know a lot of travelers are waiting to hear if we need to go get Peso's......hoping NOT

I just read over on the Carnival boards that it's not affecting Cozumel, it's business as usual.

New Mexican Law on Accepting U.S. Dollars

The Mexican Government passed a new law which goes into effect in Mexico beginning September 14, 2010. With this new law, the use of American Dollars (CASH) to make purchases in Mexico will not be as free as it has been in the past.

Other payment methods such as credit cards of all types and all issuing banks, Travelers Checks, Mexican pesos and non-American foreign currencies (such as Euros or Canadian Dollars) are not affected in any way by this new law.

The most noticeable differences to Funjet Vacations' customers will be:

Hotels and Exchange Booths, and Local Banks will only be able to change a maximum of $1,500 USD CASH per person per month into Mexican Pesos. Previously there was no limit.

Businesses (including restaurants, shops, and Destination Management Companys) will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction - but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted. Certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to accept American Dollars for any purchase at all (this may include shops, etc), however still accepting Mexican Pesos.

If a customer wants to purchase an excursion (for example) that costs $150 US dollars per person, customers will only be able to pay $100 of this amount in USD CASH and the remainder will need to be in another form of payment (credit card, Mexican pesos, etc).

Airlines are advising they will only accept Mexican Pesos and credit cards for any fees (including baggage fees).

Vacationers should never carry large amounts of American dollars with them to Mexico, but instead they should consider either using a Credit Card, taking or locally withdrawing Mexican Pesos, or use Travelers Check's (of any currency).

Archived