Spirit from Boston 9/17 - FLA and Bahamas

Scrappygrrl

Answered my own question... from NCL's Facebook page:

"As Hurricane Igor is forecasted to pass over the island of Bermuda this weekend, Norwegian Spirit’s itinerary has changed. The ship will now sail to Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida and Nassau, Bahamas. The ship will depart Boston today as scheduled at 4 p.m. and spend two days at sea before it arrives in Orlando on Monday, September 20 and then to Nassau on Tuesday, September 21."

2 days at sea going and coming? They're going to be flying down the coastline!!! :eek::D

Igor is on track for a DIRECT HIT to Bermuda, and emergency and hurricane preparations are very well underway islandwide.

It's a BIG one and it looks like we're in for a ride lasting well over 24 hours!

Hope you enjoy FL and Nassau.

I was on Epic 3 weeks ago when her itinerary got changed due to Hurricane Earl.

Storm Happens!!

Spirit is leaving Boston 4PM today--2 days at sea, then will be in Port Canaveral Mon. and Nassau Tues., from what I saw posted on NCL site. At least the poor folks won't need the heavy clothes some of them already may have packed, as they aren't being diverted to Canada. Glad NCL FINALLY made the decision (however late). Several people were getting a little annoyed with NCL, to say the least.

Wish I was on this week's sailing. I love the mystery of cruising during Hurricane season. In 2005 Hurricane Wilma barreling down on Florida and we're running out of dodge on the Star Princess with no clue where we'd be going... definitely not Western Caribbean as planned. :eek: Wound up in Puerto Rico until midnight with a surprise inspection by the USCG, then off to St. Thomas and Tortola BVI for a short stay. It was fun to spend 2.5 days at sea without a clue as to our destination!! :)

Wish I was on this week's sailing. I love the mystery of cruising during Hurricane season. In 2005 Hurricane Wilma barreling down on Florida and we're running out of dodge on the Star Princess with no clue where we'd be going... definitely not Western Caribbean as planned. :eek: Wound up in Puerto Rico until midnight with a surprise inspection by the USCG, then off to St. Thomas and Tortola BVI for a short stay. It was fun to spend 2.5 days at sea without a clue as to our destination!! :)

I would love a mystery destination cruise as well..........maybe we should suggest this to NCL. I wouldn't have to think about shore excursions in advance.....NCL would sell more of their excursions because no one could do advance planning on independent excursions.

I love the ship when it's rocking and rolling...:D It seems to balance me internally.

I would love a mystery destination cruise as well..........maybe we should suggest this to NCL. I wouldn't have to think about shore excursions in advance.....NCL would sell more of their excursions because no one could do advance planning on independent excursions.

I love the ship when it's rocking and rolling...:D It seems to balance me internally.

Most of the guests will probably be happier with this itinerary than the NE/Canada itinerary many were anticipating, but the seas will be very rough on the voyage south even if they maintain a good distance between the the hurricane and the storm. Arranging docking privileges on such short notice can't be easy but give NCL credit for doing something better than expected.:)

Those of us who enjoy motion on a cruise ship will surely get their fill of it next week on the Spirit.:D

I agree... NCL would luck out on the shore excursion aspect of it but then again so didn't Princess on our mystery cruise. It's good when the ports are expecting you though... we went to Tortola before they're ready for their cruise season and as a result some of the attractions and museums were not open as they were seasonal. :( A mystery cruise would be great! It was fun in 2005 and I would love to do it again. If it were not for school I would still sail in Hurricane season. It's the cheapest time of the year from September through early November!! :D

Cruisin--You knwo you just love to cruise so much that you wouldn't care where you were going!! But you my friend are much more easy going--and probably a happier person in general--than many cruisers. LOL!! I'm with you--I'd love to jump on that ship this afternoon regardless of where she was going. For two years we crusied to Bermuda this very week!! The weather was absolutely beautiful both weeks.

Spirit is leaving Boston 4PM today--2 days at sea' date=' then will be in Port Canaveral Mon. and Nassau Tues., from what I saw posted on NCL site. At least the poor folks won't need the heavy clothes some of them already may have packed, as they aren't being diverted to Canada. Glad NCL FINALLY made the decision (however late). Several people were getting a little annoyed with NCL, to say the least.[/quote']

I'll never understand people! I would much rather the cruiseline make the smart decision rather than a quick decision. Hurricanes can change direction with little warning (remember Charlie in '04?) so making an early decision that has to be changed doesn't make any sense at all!

I hope the majority of the people are happy with the decision, and that they have a fabulous cruise! Most of the people interviewed on the local news seemed to be fine with the decision. Itinerary changes come with the territory when you book during hurricane season. I do it most every year, and have only been affected once so far, but you never know!

Cruisin--You knwo you just love to cruise so much that you wouldn't care where you were going!! But you my friend are much more easy going--and probably a happier person in general--than many cruisers. LOL!! I'm with you--I'd love to jump on that ship this afternoon regardless of where she was going. For two years we crusied to Bermuda this very week!! The weather was absolutely beautiful both weeks.

Hey!!! How have you been?! :)

A bundle of happiness is me cruisin'! At work that's a completely different story and why I use here as escapism! ;) A mystery cruise would be fun unless I had my heart set on a place to go and really wanting to see it. I think the fact that I have cruised to so much in the Caribbean and Bermuda that if I were on an itinerary and suddenly didn't know where I was going that it would be fun for me! I can understand some people's disappointment with not going to where they had hoped but it is the risk of hurricane season and Mother Nature always prevails!! She's a fiesty bugger sometimes!! :D

Can't wait for school to be done so I can go back to cheap hurricane cruisin again! Going during Spring Break is highway robbery!!!

Hi all!!

Just a quick note to say that everything turned great here. Most passengers seem relieved to go to the Bahamas instead of Canada New England.

I m wearing a tank top this morning and not a sweatshirt;)

Have a good week everyone!

Archived