Acropolis elevator - booking question

Wotan758

Phoning in advance is the only option that is provided on any web sites, however if you look at posts on cruisecritic and tripadvisor, travellers have said they did not make the call and were still able to use the elevator. That's taking a chance though.

Here is the "elevator" info from tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189400-c144005/Athens:Greece:Use.Of.The.Acropolis.Elevator.html

The only other suggestion is to email the museum since that's the only address I can find. They're very closeby so maybe they can help.

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/default.php?pname=Access&la=2

Good advice! Ee didn't have any problem with slippery stones, but I tripped a few times on the uneven surfaces. There were rocks sticking up at all angles, so you really have to watch where you're going. The worst for me was when I was taking a photo; stepping backwards or forwards while I was concentrating on the picture instead of watching my step.

• 1 month later...

I read there is a way to the top that starts near the Acropolis Museum. A LOT less steps....a much easier hike.

The easiest way is to follow Dioysiou Aeropagitou, the large pedestrian street that starts near Hadrian's Arch and goes around the north of the Acropolis until you come to the marble paths that lead up the hill.

• 2 weeks later...
I read there is a way to the top that starts near the Acropolis Museum. A LOT less steps....a much easier hike.

The easiest way is to follow Dioysiou Aeropagitou, the large pedestrian street that starts near Hadrian's Arch and goes around the north of the Acropolis until you come to the marble paths that lead up the hill.

I saw were those steps led in, not that much saved, and you have to have your tickets already. There is someone there checking tickets when you get close to the Acropolis, to fall in with the others.

I saw were those steps led in, not that much saved, and you have to have your tickets already. There is someone there checking tickets when you get close to the Acropolis, to fall in with the others.

This is not quite true. I took that path twice on my recent trip. It is a much gentler slope up and fewer steps. Also, you do not need to have your ticket. The path leads you directly to the Acropolis ticket booth if you follow the signs. No one tried to stop me before I got to that point. It is recommended in several guidebooks.

Archived