Internet in Cabins?

bzv143

Booked an SY category cabin on Noordam (6th floor), apparently right next to an internet antenna outside the cabin (thanks to an earlier poster who listed the cabins that had internet antennas outside their doors). How good is the internet in the cabin? :confused: I am hoping I do not need to lug my laptop anywhere and can just loll around in my cabin and access the web (and my email).

Your connection to the ship's server will be good, and your performance will be as good as any public area near an antenna ... which is generally fair to poor! :rolleyes: Think in the range of dial-up to maybe twice that, because the bottleneck is the satellite link.

Try to use internet when most others aren't, like early in the morning or late at night, and before you log on for $, test the speed by connecting to the free HAL or NYTimes sites.

It's the same price whether you use their computers or your own.

There are packages available. There is a startup charge of $3.95 (unless it's gone up since I cruised last), then it's by the minute. The larger a package you buy, the lower the cost-per-minute (but it's still expensive).

You can buy a 100 minute package for $55 and a 250 minute package for $100. You pay start up charge of $3.95 for each package.

I bring our Netbook and have always been able to use it in our cabin. Sometimes I have to prop our door open a little but that's no big deal for us.

We just returned from the Montreal to Boston on the Maasdam, and to our pleasant surprise, there is free wi-fi in the terminals in Quebec City, Charlottetown, and Sydney. In Halifax, we accessed the web from an internet cafe directly across from the ship...for the cost of a cup of coffee! Sure beats the cost of the ships internet access, which as I heard was spotty at best on this cruise.

anyone know how much it is to access the internet from your room?

Is it the same as if you used their computers?

thanks

Internet Prices:

It doesn't make any difference whether you bring your own laptop or use the ship's computers -- the price is the same -- no free WiFi.

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

Archived