Tuxedo rentals?

tobymonster

Has anyone rented a tux through the cruise?

My husband doesn't have a tux and I don't think he has a dark suit that fits him currently... so I thought I'd look into renting a tux rather than having to buy a new suit.

Awww just buy a new dark suit - it helps the economy;)

I just recently purchased a tux for my upcoming cruz. Looking at the cost of renting I figure that if I wear it 2 times a cruise it's paid for after 3 cruises!

JC Penney had a tux sale and will have one again soon. ( per the salesperson). A very nice suit. Everything came to $160. with shoes..oh plus tax. Better than renting a tux if you plan to use it more than once. ( My niece just bought five of these for her wedding party. )

She saved even more because she opened an account and got an additional 15 % off. You could use a coupon on these also, she did not have one.

I am picky and they looked good.

Very good suggestions... and likely we will end up buying something.

Just thought I'd see if people had experience with the on-board rentals, as it also saves some packing room/weight.

One thing about suites/tux's - The cost of cleaning a suit on board isn't much different than what I get charged on land. So I'll be able to take my tux and the first day i get onboard I'll send it out for cleaning! Who cares about wrinkles in the suitcase now!

Tonight I greeted my wife all decked-out - jacket, pants, new shirt, cumberbun(sp?), suspenders & bowtie (separate purchase in Croatia last fall) which I had pick-up at our local Thrift Store for $27. The shirt was new; still had the original price tag. Also, the tux had been dry cleaned.:rolleyes:

I've rented a tux a number of times...convenient and no suit to pack. Here is the site

http://www.cruiselineformal.com

Same here.

If your flying to the embarkation port factor in the weight of a tux and accessories. I realize this is a picky point, but with the airlines and their damnable restrictions on weight . . . . . . . of course if you are driving . no big deal.

DH always rents a tux. It's cleaned, pressed, fits well, and is waiting in your closet when you board. After the last formal night your steward takes it away. No packing, no fuss, lots of luggage space saved. As far as he's concerned it's an easy decision.

Has anyone rented a tux through the cruise?

My husband doesn't have a tux and I don't think he has a dark suit that fits him currently... so I thought I'd look into renting a tux rather than having to buy a new suit.

My husband rented a tux on Solstice last Nov.It was waiting in our cabin when we arrived......perfect fit ( and he's a big guy) came with two shirts for each formal night. .......even the shoes were a great fit.

Him not having to pack a suit and dress shoes gave me all the more room for my "stuff".

c.

I have to chime in with agreement rgarding the tux rental convenience. It is nice to have pressed tux and shirts on the ship waiting for you onboard. That said, a dark suit is a mainstay for mainland living and if your husband needs one this would be an ideal time to buy one. If he is inclined he can also wear the jacket as a sportcoat during the cruise in a pinch. As an alternative a dark blue blazer with grey pants (and tie of course) can be worn during formal nights and may offer some more flexibility back home. JMHO

We will be on Solstice for 7 days ... my husband doesn't own a suit (hey we are only in our 30s :P) let alone a tux so I called the cruise line - its 85$ fee for the tux and it comes with two shirts one for each formal night - very good deal. You'd have to make a reservation 3-5 days before the cruise giving them exact body measurements

I figured even with the exact measurements the tux will not be tailored to him so it will look funky so we helped the economy and bought him a $500 Italian made dark suit ... its sooo sexy lol .. can't wait to dress up:D:D

We will be on Solstice for 7 days ... my husband doesn't own a suit (hey we are only in our 30s :P) let alone a tux so I called the cruise line - its 85$ fee for the tux and it comes with two shirts one for each formal night - very good deal. You'd have to make a reservation 3-5 days before the cruise giving them exact body measurements

I figured even with the exact measurements the tux will not be tailored to him so it will look funky so we helped the economy and bought him a $500 Italian made dark suit ... its sooo sexy lol .. can't wait to dress up:D:D

What economy did you help, the Italian? Okay.:rolleyes:

Well okay, maybe the store you bought it at was local.

Like some of the other fellas, I've pretty much grown out of my only suit and I did want to observe the formal nights formally. I checked out on board rentals and in town rentals and discovered that I could buy a tux on line, compete with all the stuff that goes with it, for about the same price it would cost me to rent one for two weeks. Throw in the alterations and a pair of spiffy fake patent leather shoes and the whole outfit is paid for in a cruise-and-a-half. Granted, it's easier not to pack, but we're hoping to do enough cruising now so that the savings will be substantial.

Just thought I'd see if people had experience with the on-board rentals, as it also saves some packing room/weight.

To answer your question, yes, I have rented a tux on board. It was convenient, and fit well. :)

In the past my husband also has rented a tux from Cruise Formals. It fit very well, and was, as mentioned, conveniently waiting in the cabin with all the accessories, including the shoes. Even the shoes fit well and were comfortable to wear.

He now packs his own tux and shoes which he purchased at Penney's. That tux is wool, and has a very good fit. He is happy with it's comfort level, and chose a bow tie and cummerbund for one look, and a black vest and formal tie, and a grey vest with a grey bow tie to change off. His shirts are both winged collared and dress collar, so he has a variety. He has no objections (thankfully) to dressing for formal night, which I greatly appreciate.:)

Mary

My DH has rented formal wear on cruises and it is very convienent. He now owns his own. As far as wrinkles, he takes all his cruisewear, including his tux, and has a "travel press" done. They travel very nicely with minimal wrinkles.

Archived