Comparing the Navigator with Silversea Whisper

south seas sue

I'm looking for feedback from some of you experienced travelers on both the SS Whisper and the Regent Navigator. They both have identical itineraries in Oct 2011 for New England - Montreal/NY. With the promotions, and including airfare, the cost now for a Vista cabin on the Whisper is just a few hundred dollars less than the G-H cabin on the Navigator. I am very familiar with the Whisper, and the Shadow, but have never sailed the Navigator. I am trying to compare both cruises. Here are the differences I see: There are free excursions included on the Nav. One question I have is whether the free excursions are good quality, and favorably compare with ones that you pay extra for. The other difference is that the Whisper does have Formal nights - I can live with that, although of course hubby would prefer the no-tux dress code of Regent.Could some of you weigh in on other considerations, if you were to compare both cruises? We are wait-listed for the Nav., but I imagine it will clear within the next year. At this point I haven't talked to my TA so don't know if the Whisper is sold out. Thanks so much!

Hi Glenda; having sailed on both the Whisper and Nav, the Whisper wins out (more interesting dining venues (altho Le Champagne requires a fee). Whisper sails smoothly compared to the heavy vibrations on the Navigator (my least fav of Regent ships..we love Regent; as we are booked on the Voyager this Nov and Mariner next Nov). Glenda, strongly recommend Silversea Whisper.

Having sailed on both ships I am of the school which says that you'll have a great time on either if you look for the positives. As to which I prefer,there not much in it.

For me it would come down to itinerary and price. If the price was the same or even higher on Navigator I'd go for Navigator because of the value of included tours and the fact that there is a little less formality. On both my RSSC cruises I've found the tours to be of good quality. Have a great time making a choice!

In terms of comparisons. . . . the fact that many Regent itineraries are booked and Silverseas are not says volumes.

I am not certain as to what this fact -- if, indeed, it is a fact -- says or what volumes it speaks. I am not aware that there is a reliable source of information about occupancy rates or about cash yield per body. If a cruise line is filling its cabins by discounting (especially for groups -- as was the case on my most recent Regent cruise) it may be that the yield per passenger shrinks.

In any case, even if we accept the (undocumented) "fact" that Regent cruises are more fully booked than Silversea cruises, one might draw a different conclusion from that of the OP. My conclusion might well be that -- if all else were equal -- I would prefer to cruise on the ship that is not booked to capacity rather than on a full ship. The less fully booked ship is likely to be less crowded, etc. Moreover, the presence of unoccupied suites allows for appropriate responses to various kinds of unexpected developments (plumbing problems, non-functioning AC, etc.) as have been described on this board and the boards of other luxury-level lines.

Hi Glenda, have sent you a private email elaborating on my recommendation and as others above have posted you will enjoy your cruise wheter on Regent or Silversea.

Steve, thanks..your post is laser spot on..if itinerary (cruise friends choice) and price are right..we sail either R or SS...we do have Oceania's Marina Maiden Voyage booked in Jan (waiting to see if clear the WL) and this week booked the Mariner Fall TA in 2011 (best price we've paid for a two week crossing in 3 years)...and Miles, we want to do the Pacific crossing on Crystal in the future.

Observer, I agree. Of course it bodes badly for the cruise line if they sail significantly less than full over the long haul, but I certainly prefer a ship that is perhaps 3/4 full.

At times I wonder at the methods that Regent has used to "fill" a ship. The late-breaking cheap upgrades to larger cabins for folks like us who booked long ago, and then the cheaper cabins filled at the last minute. I'm pretty sure this happened on our last cruise (and we took the upgrade.) If this is good business then great, but it can't be sustaining, and it does mean, at sailing, that the ship is likely very full. If they can afford to seel mostly "H"s, then why don't they just lower the fares a bit overall?

I am not certain as to what this fact -- if, indeed, it is a fact -- says or what volumes it speaks. I am not aware that there is a reliable source of information about occupancy rates or about cash yield per body. If a cruise line is filling its cabins by discounting (especially for groups -- as was the case on my most recent Regent cruise) it may be that the yield per passenger shrinks.

In any case, even if we accept the (undocumented) "fact" that Regent cruises are more fully booked than Silversea cruises, one might draw a different conclusion from that of the OP. My conclusion might well be that -- if all else were equal -- I would prefer to cruise on the ship that is not booked to capacity rather than on a full ship. The less fully booked ship is likely to be less crowded, etc. Moreover, the presence of unoccupied suites allows for appropriate responses to various kinds of unexpected developments (plumbing problems, non-functioning AC, etc.) as have been described on this board and the boards of other luxury-level lines.

I agree with much of what you said. While Regent is not running full on all itineraries, it is becoming difficult to get a suite a year out on others. It is fairly easy now to determine if a Regent ship is full with the addition to their computer system. On our upcoming cruise (January), we know exactly which suites are still available (there were 10 the last time I looked). Their latest brochure shows limited availability on some Alaska cruises next summer. I suspect that they are filling their cabins with the included airfare and excursions. Regent does have a handful of itineraries (20+ days) that they advertise over and over. The computer indicates that these itineraries have availability in almost all categories.

In terms of SS, it is more difficult to tell whether they are full or not. Like Regent, these they tend to advertise certain itineraries repeatedly which is an indicator. By reading the Silversea board, you'll find many passengers indicate how many passengers were on board. A recent Spirit sailing was about half full. Basically, my statement was based on using indicators on Silversea and facts on Regent. So, perhaps my statement was a bit strong when comparing the occupancy of the two ships.

We also prefer less than full ships which is one reason we are booked on Silversea for two upcoming cruises. To get back to the subject for a moment, the Navigator's problems were so severe that she was taken out of service for about a month. It was not about slight plumbing and electrical problems. They did fix the some of the stability issues during drydock, but, for the first time on any cruise, my DH got extremely seasick on the Navigator this summer. One of cruises for next year is transatlantic on the Whisper. . . we would not book this itinerary on the Navigator.

Thank you Wes, TC, and others, for weighing in on the comparison between Whisper and Navigator. As I mentioned, I am not yet booked on Nav. anyway but on a waiting list, so decision now is whether to book SS. From everything all of you have said, I was leaning toward Nav. However, now after reading about the seasickness TC's DH experienced, I am "at sea" again! I do suffer from mal de mer, and am wondering whether the itinerary of this cruise - from NY to Montreal, following the Atlantic shore, in early Oct., would be rocky.........I HATE being seasick! Flat on my back, chicken broth, missing all the great food and drink in the dining room!Not too worried about the aft vibration, as the G-H cabins are located at the other end of the ship.Anyway, again, thank you all for taking the time to respond with your experiences. Its a long way away, and anything could happen between now and then. At my age, I'm being very optimistic planning a trip for a year from now!Glenda

I do suffer from mal de mer, and am wondering whether the itinerary of this cruise - from NY to Montreal, following the Atlantic shore, in early Oct., would be rocky.........I HATE being seasick! Flat on my back, chicken broth, missing all the great food and drink in the dining room!Not too worried about the aft vibration, as the G-H cabins are located at the other end of the ship.Anyway, again, thank you all for taking the time to respond with your experiences. Glenda

Here is a link to a site that shows current wave activity in the northeast U.S. Hope this works http://www.oceanweather.com/data/ . It's not quite October yet. . . . but this is a good website to know about. Remember, if you are mid-ship and low (no higher deck 8), you will not feel the movement as much. We were foreward on deck 10 when he got sick.

One of cruises for next year is transatlantic on the Whisper. . . we would not book this itinerary on the Navigator.

Even the Whisper is susceptible to storms! :)

I departed Dublin on the Whisper (or perhaps it was the Shadow, I cannot recall) for a transatlantic on the afternoon of 9/11/01. We were headed to NYC (and for obvious reasons ended up in Philadelphia.) One of the most moving moments I can recall on a cruise was the "service" the cruise director put together spontaneously to help people cope with the trauma of 9/11.

As if 9/11 was not enough, the ship ran into the residue of Hurricane Erin. Everything was tied down (including the pianos). Crew who went on deck had to have ropes tied to them. It was rough for several days. One day, the captain abandoned the itinerary, dropped a port, and steered into a sheltered bay, and the ship went up and down the bay for most of the day to escape the tail end of Erin.

For many reasons, this was not "just another" cruise. The memory is vivid nine years later.

One thing you may or may not want to consider is that Regent does not allow smoking in the suites or on the balconies; Silversea does. For some it may factor into their decision whether to go with one line over the other.

We have wanted to try Silversea but haven't yet, so I can't offer any opinion on their ships, although they do look very, very nice, and the prices and itineraries are good too.

Am waiting for TravelCat to weigh in on Silversea after her upcoming cruise, especially re. the dreaded "s" word........if smoking is still allowed in suites/balconies, unfortunately, Silversea will be off our bucket list until their policy changes.:o

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Am waiting for TravelCat to weigh in on Silversea after her upcoming cruise, especially re. the dreaded "s" word........if smoking is still allowed in suites/balconies, unfortunately, Silversea will be off our bucket list until their policy changes.:o

Believe me. . . . we are anxious to weigh in on the dreaded "s" word. We just booked a transatlantic cruise on SS. If there is too much smoke on our November cruise, we will cancel.

One thing you may or may not want to consider is that Regent does not allow smoking in the suites or on the balconies; Silversea does. For some it may factor into their decision whether to go with one line over the other.

We have wanted to try Silversea but haven't yet, so I can't offer any opinion on their ships, although they do look very, very nice, and the prices and itineraries are good too.

I've been 'lurking' on this website along with SS and as comments are similar on both about amenities, etc., your comments made my decision. DH is a recovering cardiac patient and extremely smoke sensitive therefore to have to endure a cabin that had a previous smoker or to try and have a balcony door open to receive a neighbor's noxious fumes - nah, we'll definitely try Regent. :)

We were on Seabourn earlier in the year and while the staff and service were outstanding, smokers in the approved areas definitely deterred others as the smoke was everywhere and the heaviest smokers were the Europeans. Apparently they haven't heard (nor cared) about the proven link between smoking and a multitude of horrific diseases. :eek: Didn't mean for this to be a rant but it's hard to justify smoking in any venue.

Hi Watergal

I was hesitant to post my opinion about the smoking on Silversea, as, like I said, we haven't yet cruised with them.

However, I think it's important that people are aware of the smoking policies on the various luxury lines. For some, it's simply not an issue. For us, and for many others, it is, plain and simple. I hope that SilverSea and Seabourn get that message some day.

Best wishes for your husband's continued recovery. :) Sincerely, Mary

Just wanted to say that in our Regent cruises over the years before they tightened their, we never detected stale smoke in our cabin nor had a problem with smokers elsewhere. I would be reluctant to discount SS, despite my husband also being a reformed smoker with related health problems.

Archived