Best cruise for two year old (cruisinmama please help!)

missholly24

I am planning a cruise with our kids age 2 and 4. We want the option of doing things (dinner, shows, lounging, tanning, swimming) while they are having the time of their lives in the childrens programs:) Mainly dinner though. We took our 15 month old and the sit down dinner's were terrible. Seems to me the best choice is Carnival because their program allows 2 year olds. Cruisinmama (or anyone else) you know everything about cruising with little ones. What do you recommend? THANKS!!!!

Carnival and NCL both offer camps starting at 2yrs (Carnival will change diapers NCL will page you to come). Disney and some RCCL ships have babysitting for under 3's. Since your youngest is 2, I would say go NCL or Carnival since you will get maximum use of the camp versus limited hours. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Haven't done Carnival with kids but our 2 & 4 yr old DS (then) had an amazing time on NCL- better than the adults did, but that's another story. The paging system went well for the 2 yr old and gave me the excuse to pop in occasionally. At first, they didn't want to go but by the end of the first day with us, they were begging to go to "kids play". By the 2nd day of the cruise, going to kids play became the motivator for good behavior- and it worked. The staff was very attentive and I was surprised that for a summer cruise, there were not hoards of children. Think because it was an older ship.

With 4 Carnivals and 1 RCCL under your belt, I'd stick with you're gut instincts....

I am planning a cruise with our kids age 2 and 4. We want the option of doing things (dinner, shows, lounging, tanning, swimming) while they are having the time of their lives in the childrens programs:) Mainly dinner though. We took our 15 month old and the sit down dinner's were terrible. Seems to me the best choice is Carnival because their program allows 2 year olds. Cruisinmama (or anyone else) you know everything about cruising with little ones. What do you recommend? THANKS!!!!

Before my son turned 3, we only cruised on Carnival because of the children's program. They have the most comprehensive program for a two year old. He loves going and the staff has always been so good with him. We usually feed him first and then enjoy adult dinners while he is having a blast in camp. We loved the late night hours.

My kids were 2 and 4 when we went on Carnival Legend this past April. We never had to pay for Camp Carnival, but there was a charge for babysitting 10pm-3am. DH and I did two shore excursions that the kids were too young for and two beach excursions for the kids. Although we could not attend any of the late shows because we did not want to pay for the babysitter, Camp Carnival opened later to allow us to attend dinner on Formal Nights without the kids. They do change diapers and although we had a cell phone issued by the camp, we were never called. The kids were having fun and the staff were very friendly. Good luck with whatever you choose. I hope you guys will have as much fun as we did!

Lynn

My youngest was 2 when we took him on his first cruise and I chose Carnival so he could be in the camp program. He had a blast. He was mostly potty but had an accident and the staff handled it wonderfully. They called us to bring clean clothes, but when we got there, he already had on a camp t-shirt that was his to keep and a spare pair of shorts they kept around. We swapped out his bottoms and he was back to playing. No tears, no embarrasment. Both good things.

We tend to eat breakfast as a family in the dining room around 8 and then send the kids in the morning on sea days from 9-12, so we can lay out, read etc. We pick them up for lunch and have lunch and then family time at the pool, putt-putt etc. Sometimes, they even want to so an afternoon activity at camp. Around 4-5 we bring them back to the room for showers and a rest/nap (a portable DVD player is a blessing!). Then, they can either go to dinner with camp @ 6, or have a family dinner with us @ 6:15 and then go to camp. Mom and Dad get the evening for drinks, shows etc while they play the evening away. We get them at 10 when camp closes and everyone is off to bed to rest up for the next day.

It is a great family vacation where everyone gets to enjoy their own thing, but we also get plenty of time as a family. We all love it!

Yep, I would say you are right where you need to be right now. :D At 2, your child can happily be playing at Camp Carnival and can even go to the kid dinners every night, while you enjoy a nice meal. ;)

You could try NCL if you wanted to try another line. Disney isn't really feasible right now because you would have to pay for Flounders Nursery. Same with Royal Caribbean, you would have to pay for the nursery (on Oasis class and coming to Freedom class)

When your youngest is a little older, then you can try the other lines -- but it seems like you are exactly where you should be right now for what your family needs. :D

Archived