Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

From the Reuters newswire yesterday morning, they had this headline: "Venice hit by worst flooding in two years" with these highlights: "Tourists in Venice put plastic bags over their legs and residents wore rubber boots as water rose to knee-high levels. The median level of the Adriatic Sea swelled to about 1.5 yards above normal - the highest in nearly two years. Wooden catwalks which are usually used to allow pedestrian passage over flooded areas were removed after the water rose above them. In some places, it was impossible to distinguish where canals ended and sidewalks began."

There have been several television video feeds that showed these unique, sad sights in Venice with so much rain and water there. Not pretty. Glad we've been on our four visits to Venice when things have been "high and dry"!!

Full story at:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/02/uk-italy-venice-flooding-idUSLNE8A100O20121102

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 108,200 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Sad to see and hear about the floods, but I suppose it is a different experience from what most of us see.

From my visit in July here are the final 2 videos.

Piazza San Marco

The queue (11 am. July 30) for entry to St Mark's Basilica was almost back level with the facade of the Doge's Palace that overlooks the lagoon but it moved quickly and we were inside with 20 minutes.

Entrance is free but you have to pay a couple of euros to go the the High Altar, where the Pala d'Oro is, and €3 to go into the Treasury. And there is also a charge (€4 ?) to go upstairs to the museum where the Bronze Horses are but I didn't have time to do that.

The lift up the Campanile only takes about 8 people and I waited about 15 minutes for that at 3.30 pm that afternoon. Once up there a maximum of 10 minutes is all you need. I tried to go up the San Giorgio Maggiore campanile too but it was shut without indication of when it would be open to the public. However I would have thought the view from the top deck of your ship on the sail-in or out would be just as good, perhaps even better as you are not obstructed by window frames and walls and that bit closer to the city.

At around 6.30 shows the Clock Tower. I would have like to have done that to see the workings of all aspects of the clock, as much as for the views, but you are much higher up in the Campanile and can see the Piazza and Piazzetta pretty well from that.

And finally Views of Venice

This one features areas not covered by the other 3 videos, and includes the gondolas, a quick visit to Murano, the sail-out from the Giudecca canal and (at the end) St Mark's Square by night.

Sad to see and hear about the floods, but I suppose it is a different experience from what most of us see. From my visit in July here are the final 2 videos.

THANKS, Tony, for the posting and sharing! It always helps to see things. We can write lots of words, but the visuals do make it easier to get ready for all that is there to discover, experience, do and love in this great city.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 108,241 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 months later...

From the News website in Australia, their travel writer last month had an interesting story with this headline: "Adriatic cruise aboard Celebrity Solstice".

Here are some of the highlights on his experiences in Venice: "Venice is a tourist city, but the view from the top deck of a 15-storey cruise ship gives it a perspective you don't quite get from the ground. You can see that Venice is just one part of a conglomerate of islands, loosely protected from the Adriatic by sandbars and man-made barriers. As our ship eases closer, the old part of central Venice - a relatively small area - unfolds to show how the close-knit islands have been built on to such a point that the dividing waterways have become liquid roads. Romantic gondolas ply the narrow canals, but there is a bewildering array of vessels on the larger watercourses, including wooden speedboats that bring to mind James Bond and Italian millionaires. In Venice you are a tourist but you also cannot help but be touched by the romance of a city with liquid roads."

Since this writer was on the Solstice, as we enjoyed in June, 2011, his insights were a good memory refresher. His story also had good details and comments on Kotor and Split.

For Venice, his comment about "the romance of a city with liquid roads" were very unique. That is the first time I had heard this great city expressed in that creative type of term.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/adriatic-cruise-aboard-celebrity-solstice/story-e6frfqf9-1226532282638

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,893 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 5 weeks later...

Hope it is okay to post this question here regarding banking/obtaining euros in Venice. I have Bank of America and their only affiliate in Italy is BNL D'Italia. I was hoping to obtain all my euros via ATM after arriving in Italy. Our arrival is in Venice (where we board the ship).

Since this hopefully a thread where many others have experience in Venice, I was hoping people would know if there is an ATM for this bank in Venice (maybe even at the airport) and whether this is a viable option.

I have never left home without some foreign currency but due to the worse exchange rates as well as fees for obtaining euros locally, I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks for all help, comments, warnings and suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope it is okay to post this question here regarding banking/obtaining euros in Venice. I have Bank of America and their only affiliate in Italy is BNL D'Italia. I was hoping to obtain all my euros via ATM after arriving in Italy. Our arrival is in Venice (where we board the ship). Since this hopefully a thread where many others have experience in Venice, I was hoping people would know if there is an ATM for this bank in Venice (maybe even at the airport) and whether this is a viable option. I have never left home without some foreign currency but due to the worse exchange rates as well as fees for obtaining euros locally, I thought I would give it a try. Thanks for all help, comments, warnings and suggestions.

Ctaycruiser: WOW!!! I just want to say BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!! There is NO reason for one to love Venice....Venice is Venice' date=' it does't need a reason [/quote']

Sorry to cpl100 for not catching your question till today. Don't know if your card with Bank of America is a MasterCard or Visa, but it should work at lots of different banks in many location in Venice. You don't have to just use a BNL D'Italia location with your ATM card. Yes, the exchange rate to buy euros in the U.S. can be bad. I would check more with your bank, let me know you are traveling to Europe so they understand when that activity pops up. In general, there are lots of ATM's in all of the major cities in Europe. Let us know how this work and/or if you have any other questions.

THANKS for the nice comments and thoughts on Venice and my pictures from Ctaycruiser! Agree, who needs a reason to love Venice? It is Venice!! No more need be said. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 120,282 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hope it is okay to post this question here regarding banking/obtaining euros in Venice. I have Bank of America and their only affiliate in Italy is BNL D'Italia. I was hoping to obtain all my euros via ATM after arriving in Italy. Our arrival is in Venice (where we board the ship).

Since this hopefully a thread where many others have experience in Venice, I was hoping people would know if there is an ATM for this bank in Venice (maybe even at the airport) and whether this is a viable option.

I have never left home without some foreign currency but due to the worse exchange rates as well as fees for obtaining euros locally, I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks for all help, comments, warnings and suggestions.

According to Google Maps, there's a BNL branch around the corner from the Venetian Academy (Accademia) at the following address:

Banca ****onale del Lavoro

Rio Terà Antonio Foscarini, 877

30123 Venice, Province of Venice, Italy

Another site listed one at this address:

Bacino Orseolo

Venezia

Telefono: 041 667511

Hope this helps!

Note: I guess CC thinks I'm posting about the German political party that started WWII. Yikes! The English word for the Italian word that is partially blanked out is "National".

Edited by CannonFodder

According to Google Maps, there's a BNL branch around the corner from the Venetian Academy (Accademia) at the following address:

Bacino Orseolo

Venezia

Hope this helps!

Note: I guess CC thinks I'm posting about the German political party that started WWII. Yikes! The English word for the Italian word that is partially blanked out is "National".

I had that happen to me today trying to link to Cinque Terre National park.

Bacino Orseolo

Venezia

Hope this helps!

I really appreciate you posting that very helpful information. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
I really appreciate you posting that very helpful information. Thank you.

Appreciate these nice comments above. If you are planning a cruise and/or land trip to Italy this year, check out this summary. From USA Today this morning, they have this headline: "Rick Steves: What's new in Italy for 2013" with these highlights: "Italy has more of Europe's cultural heritage than any other country. Here is the latest, gleaned from my guidebook research for 2013: Rome has made visiting the Vatican Museum easier. You can often buy same-day, skip-the-line tickets from the tourist-information office in St. Peter's Square; it'll cost the same price you'd pay if you had reserved online (15-euro ticket plus 4-euro reservation fee). Massive crowds line up to see Florence's cathedral — the Duomo — which is free to enter. Here's how to skip the line: If you're already planning to visit the cathedral-related sights — the Duomo Museum, Baptistery, and Campanile — that require a combo-ticket to see, buy your ticket first at the less-crowded museum. You can use it to enter through the cathedral's exit, bypassing the lines at the front door."

On Venice, among the highlights noted are: "The Accademia, which is known for its great collection of Venetian Renaissance art, is open but still in a constant state of disarray, with a major expansion and renovation dragging on for years. The locations of paintings isn't yet set. The upside is that crowds have died down, so there's no longer a need to reserve a ticket in advance. To make the most of cruising Venice's Grand Canal on a public vaporetto (water bus), catch the boat at Piazzale Roma (just before the crowded train-station stop), where you'll have your choice of seats. A few boats have seats in the bow with great views; make a beeline for these."

This story has other tips for Florence, Naples, Cinque Terre, Milan, etc. Lots of good insights, tips, ideas. At the end of the story, he notes: "While the Italian economy remains unpredictable, you're guaranteed to have a memorable trip in 2013. The Italian zest for life is as timeless as its ancient monuments."

Full story from USA Today at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/03/02/rick-steves-whats-new-in-italy-for-2013/1957537/

If you like Venice and its great history and architecture, check out this posting that I did with lots of pictures there. It has had over 18,630 views. Let me know any comments or questions on this unique city.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 121,318 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are going to Venice in September as a part of a RCL 12 day cruise. It has always been my dream location to visit and although I see lots of postings saying it's easy to DIY tour, I'm looking for that local who can tell us about different points of interest and take us to the "must see must do" spots. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
carrao: Anyone suggest company that provided a great private tour in Venice? My husband and I are going to Venice in September as a part of a RCL 12 day cruise. It has always been my dream location to visit and although I see lots of postings saying it's easy to DIY tour' date=' I'm looking for that local who can tell us about different points of interest and take us to the "must see must do" spots. Any suggestions? [/quote']

Sorry I did not catch your question until today. Don't have any tour guides or companies to suggest. It's so easy to do on your own, that we have not needed to do that during our three visit to Venice. Might contact their tourism office for suggested firms. That website is:

http://en.turismovenezia.it/Venezia/

From the Sunday morning New York Times Tmagazine section, they have this feature and headline: "Fairgoer’s Guide to Venice’s Other Attractions" with these opening highlights: "Some people live for Venice in May. For many, it means bottomless Prosecco on the warm, breezy esplanade of the Zattare; for others, it signifies the beginning of the Venice Biennale, one of the world’s most important contemporary art events, held once every two years. While many attendees come primarily to ponder esoteric installations at various pavilions, anyone in town for the big opening week should make to time to discover what’s new and classic in Venice, no matter when the party ends."

A variety of dining, drinking and shopping places are spotlighted in this profile. This includes these two place to eat and enjoy:

Osteria di Santa Marina: This respected (and pricey) osteria, just steps away from Marco Polo’s house, could have a Michelin star but balks at the idea. The tiny two-room eatery started as a modest blue-collar lunch spot serving simple sandwiches and pastas. Today, the menu looks something like this: scallop carpaccio topped with foie gras shavings and sauterne jelly. A far cry from its humble roots, but worth every penny. Campo Santa Marina, 5911; +39 041 528 5239; osteriadisantamarina.com.

Ristorante Quadri: The Alajmo family take cooking seriously, which is why both of their restaurants — Le Calandre in Padova and Ristorante Quadri in Venice — are studded with Michelin stars. For this year’s Venice Biennale, Ristorante Quadri opens its doors to pavilion-weary visitors, offering aperitifs that include chef Max Alajmo’s riff on classic Venetian cocktails, like the Verdini, a Bellini made from centrifuged apple and celery juice and topped with Prosecco. Piazza San Marco 121; +39 041 522 2105; caffequadri.it.

Full story at:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/travel-essentials-the-fairgoers-guide-to-venices-other-attractions/

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 130,362 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

• 1 month later...

As we arenew to Venice we have booked a tour on arrival but it finishes just after six pm. how easy is just to wander round, get a bit of dinner and then find our way back to the ship?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My husband and I are going to Venice in September as a part of a RCL 12 day cruise. It has always been my dream location to visit and although I see lots of postings saying it's easy to DIY tour, I'm looking for that local who can tell us about different points of interest and take us to the "must see must do" spots. Any suggestions?

You could check out Angels Tours, they are easy to find by Googling.

DW reminded me of something about Venice and why we would never recommend taking a tour. To us, Venice is one of the most romantic places in the world. We love exploring its back streets, strolling along picturesque canals, walking around Burano (our favorite island in the Lagoon), browsing the cute shops, stopping in a café for some wine, etc. The idea of sharing this with a stranger (tour guide) or even worse, a group, is enough to keep me away from Venice. Another fun idea, although a bit expensive, it to stop at a local wine shop and buy a nice bottle of Italian wine. Then have them pull the cork and sell you a couple of plastic wine glasses. You then go find a gondola and take a nice 40 min gondola ride (about 90 Euros) and sip your wine as you glide quietly through some of the canals. Absolutely enchanting!

Hank

We are going to be in Venice for 2 days leaving on Celebrity Silhouette, 8th Oct 13. We were there for a week back in 2003, so have done a fair bit of exploring. But in my research this time I came across www.tomsportguides.com which has, among others, a fantastic guide on Venice and a map which can be saved in iBooks. It is absolutely brimming with helpful information for cruisers.

As we are new to Venice we have booked a tour on arrival but it finishes just after six pm. how easy is just to wander round, get a bit of dinner and then find our way back to the ship?

Appreciate the good, added, helpful posts from Hank, Lissie62 and Waihekean. Yes, for knowehead, that it is easier after 6 pm to walk around, explore this great/unique city, etc. On places to eat, here is one secret!! Either do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Sometimes places a little away from the key tourist paths will be a little more "local". Good luck!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 134,456 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We will be arriving in Rome on a Sunday and our ship embarks on Wednesday. We will not be going to Venice, but this is somewhere my son wants to go. Is it feasible to take the "fast" train from Rome to Venice? My plan is to do so on Monday, stay overnight in Venice, and return Tuesday evening to Rome. What is your opinion, TLCOhio?

We will be arriving in Rome on a Sunday and our ship embarks on Wednesday. We will not be going to Venice, but this is somewhere my son wants to go. Is it feasible to take the "fast" train from Rome to Venice? My plan is to do so on Monday, stay overnight in Venice, and return Tuesday evening to Rome. What is your opinion, TLCOhio?

We took the fast train from Venice to Rome in May after our cruise. It was a solid four hours in the train for that journey. FYI

cpl100: We took the fast train from Venice to Rome in May after our cruise. It was a solid four hours in the train for that journey. FYI

Excellent experience and post from cpl100 YES' date=' it is possible to do.[/i'] To see and get a good sampling of Venice can be done with only about a net of a day and a half for there. You can, of course, do more there and nearby.

It would be nice, if possible, to do that quick, up-and-back, overnight trip without ALL of your cruise luggage. Is that possible? Check on storing that extra luggage in the Rome area. Or, ideally to arrange your flight into Venice, if that booking has been locked in, do your time there and then come down to Florence and Rome, etc. BUT, this option you are considering is a potentially, especially if you have never seen and done wonderful Venice.

Any other questions or reactions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 134,937 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Excellent experience and post from cpl100 YES, it is possible to do. To see and get a good sampling of Venice can be done with only about a net of a day and a half for there. You can, of course, do more there and nearby.

It would be nice, if possible, to do that quick, up-and-back, overnight trip without ALL of your cruise luggage. Is that possible? Check on storing that extra luggage in the Rome area. Or, ideally to arrange your flight into Venice, if that booking has been locked in, do your time there and then come down to Florence and Rome, etc. BUT, this option you are considering is a potentially, especially if you have never seen and done wonderful Venice.

Any other questions or reactions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 134,937 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks! I've arranged a loft for the entire stay in Rome near the train station that is very reasonable, so we will leave our luggage there. I've already made the arrangements for Venice as well, but I may change the hotel. I haven't booked the train yet. Debating between the Italo and the Trenitalia.

Thanks! I've arranged a loft for the entire stay in Rome near the train station that is very reasonable, so we will leave our luggage there. I've already made the arrangements for Venice as well, but I may change the hotel. I haven't booked the train yet. Debating between the Italo and the Trenitalia.

We took Trenitalia and went first class. Very pleasant experience.

cpl100: We took Trenitalia and went first class. Very pleasant experience.

Not sure it matters that much between those two trains. The great news is that there are a number of timing options between Rome and Venice. First class adds a nice level of comfort if you can afford it. Good that you have the luggage situation covered. Keep rolling ahead. Sounding good!!

Did a June 7-19' date=' 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from [b']Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik[/b]. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,005 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at: