Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

What a wonderful, informative thread! Thanks to everyone, especially Terry in Ohio for the pictures, links, etc.

We're on the 12 night NCL Spirit cruise in August, 2015 which departs from Barcelona and ends with an overnight in Venice. We're staying an extra night post-cruise. My head is spinning with all the options, but I now feel better equipped to make the most of our time in this beautiful city!

My main concern for planning purposes is transfer from ship to hotel and then hotel to airport the following morning. I read where they overturned the ban on large ships porting in Venice, but also read elsewhere that they are still trying to impose the ban sometime in 2015 (yet hadn't figured out a viable game plan for getting cruise passengers from the mainland into Venice). I've read that nothing moves fast in Italy, so I'm presently planning transfers based on porting in Venice. If anyone has any insight/updates, would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks again!!

Susan

Venice was indeed a breathtaking place to visit. We had an overnight call at Venice, while sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette. I made a video of the Venice Vaporetta River Bus Route 1 Grand Canal from P.Roma to Rialto Bridge.

BoxerGal: Thank you! What a wonderful' date=' informative thread! [b']Thanks to everyone, especially Terry[/b] in Ohio for the pictures, links, etc. We're on the 12 night NCL Spirit cruise in August, 2015 which departs from Barcelona and ends with an overnight in Venice. We're staying an extra night post-cruise. My head is spinning with all the options, but I now feel better equipped to make the most of our time in this beautiful city! My main concern for planning purposes is transfer from ship to hotel and then hotel to airport the following morning.

Appreciate this video sharing by Iluvcruising2, plus the nice comments from Susan.

Yes, there is lots to "WORRY" about in visiting these locations in the world, BUT, learn one of the key points about Italy. What is it? Relax, enjoy!! The Romans/Italy has already conquered the world once. No hurry!! It will all work out. Plus, in Venice, it's fairly small and hard to get lost.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,030 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Definitely go to mass at St. Marks! It was wonderful and even though I don't speak Italian I was able to follow along. Be aware that large backpacks are not allowed inside. Small/medium purses are ok. Enjoy Venizia!

Go to the morning mass and enter on door on left side of St Mark's and avoid long lines and stay to visit inside after mass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

After we take the People Mover to the Piazzale Roma please tell me how long it takes to walk to San Marco. Are there many sights to see along the way so would it be wise to have a guide to explain what we are seeing? I know that would take longer but is it worth it? Sad to say, we are limited on time.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Carolyn

We loved Venice. You never know what you'll find walking the town. We came across what appeared to be a water well used in the older days. I couldn't tell you where it was but we had a great time exploring Venice. Hoping to get back next year. I loved the atmosphere of this town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,030 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Just love to see and read about your experince, everytime remindes me my cruises to that part of the world :)

We went to the 11am Mass in St. Marks, just happened upon it at the end of our tour....very memorable experience, all Italians except for one other American couple. There were a couple of churches we dropped in in the middle Mass and we stopped quietly for a bit, there are so many churches all over Venice and they are all beautiful. Venice is one of those places that it is just nice to be there and walking around, being part of it. Don't stick to the tourist areas around St. Marks Square, the real Venice likes farther in and is a completely different experience.

Let me share some links on Venice from my blog, in case it is useful. This was from our Celebrity Silhouette cruise in Nov 2013. We had an overnight call in Venice. We did Venice on our own, didn't 'join any tour.

There are 4 parts to the review. This is Part 1. The rest of the links are contained within the blog post.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/venice-overnight-call-part-1-sailing-in.html

Some more videos.

Snippets of our rides on the river bus.

[YOUTUBE]AddgklKkyko[/YOUTUBE]

Sailing into Venice, early morning. Beautiful, even though it was still rather dark.

[YOUTUBE]Y39c8Ve0ZNo[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy Venice. It is a fasincating place.

We went to the 11am Mass in St. Marks, just happened upon it at the end of our tour....very memorable experience, all Italians except for one other American couple. There were a couple of churches we dropped in in the middle Mass and we stopped quietly for a bit, there are so many churches all over Venice and they are all beautiful. Venice is one of those places that it is just nice to be there and walking around, being part of it. Don't stick to the tourist areas around St. Marks Square, the real Venice likes farther in and is a completely different experience.

I agree. Walking around Venice is a wonderful experience.

How did you navigate your way? I found using geo-location apps on my smartphone to be extremely useful. I could be absolutely sure where I didn't fear that I would get lost.

• 2 weeks later...
Just love to see and read about your experince, everytime remindes me my cruises to that part of the world :)

CathyCruises: There are actually signs in lots of places' date=' high up on the buildings. It will say 'San Marco' or 'Rialto' or whatever with an arrow. We have never used gps, prefer to just wander and see what we see, you can't get TOO lost! Eventually you come to water [/quote']

Appreciate these nice and kind comments from samavarcruiser. We just got back in the past week from escaping the Midwest COLD and snow. Unfortunately, we are getting 3-6" more snow here today. More below on those Amazon-Caribbean adventures. Plus, last year's Australia-NZ reports have just gone over the 100K level for views. Glad to have people drop by these posts, make comments, ask questions, added info, etc. Keep it up with that sharing, involvement, etc.

Great added verification by Cathy for how easy it is to explore and discover fun, interesting parts to Venice. Those signs are there. Plus, Venice is not that big. Just walk and find unique little architectural and historic areas, sights, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures. Now at 100,289 views for this posting.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days, here is the link below to that series of posts on my live/blog. Lots of great visuals from the Amazon and these various Caribbean Islands, etc. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 17,129 views for these postings.

I agree. Walking around Venice is a wonderful experience.

How did you navigate your way? I found using geo-location apps on my smartphone to be extremely useful. I could be absolutely sure where I didn't fear that I would get lost.

They do have directional signs often hid high (way above normal eye level) on the corner of some buildings. But we have had so much fun getting lost in Venice :). Some of the most beautiful parts of the city are a bit off the normal tourist walking routes. And one good thing about Venice is that you cannot really get too lost since it is an island :). But asking for directions does wonders when one gets on the verge of panic.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

So ever grateful for all your amazing photo's Terry, thank you for sharing! Thanks also to everyone who's contributed to this wonderful thread, it's been most helpful in planning.

We're on a 24-day Med cruise in June that starts in Venice with an overnight and then returns mid-way through. Having been there once (on my own) in 2007, I am fully committed to just wandering those amazing streets with DH and not being too in a rush to get anywhere in particular. Though we may try to hit the Basilica for mass as our return stop is on a Sunday. We're both lapsed Catholics but like to light a candle when we can for each of our deceased parents who were all devout.

I love Hank's advice about buying a bottle of wine and some plastic glasses and sipping through a gondola ride. That sounds like heaven!

My question: I was in Venice during Carnevale and had never seen so many people! Are the summer crowds as bad?

100_1104.jpg.9fa316c5d7d120bc9671e455ead43e7c.jpg

My question: I was in Venice during Carnevale and had never seen so many people! Are the summer crowds as bad?

Hi Beth

These were from high summer 2012, and it was fine, but I don''t know how this compares to Carnevale. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]2aYMiTZUnKw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Hw3ucTjFta0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Jh7lPFe12ao[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

Appreciate this good question. Venice crowds? Yes, they are there!! How much and how bad? The quick answer is . . . it depends!! Why?

The biggest factor is day versus evening. During the day, you are more likely to have much bigger masses of people as the "day-trippers" arrive on tour buses, by cruise ships, etc. Evenings are more magically, in my view, as so many of those pesky tourists depart. Another big factor, like in other active ports around the world is about how many other ships are in port for that specific day. And, the size of those ships? Finally for "summer", June might be better than July and August. In June, things are not always as bad as many schools in some parts of the world are still in session during that month. July and August tend to be busier . . . and many hotter. When the heat is "UP", that makes dealing with the crowds more challenging and less fun. Finally, some parts of Venice are always more busy, but certain less-traveled areas can be more manageable as the crowds do not focus there as much.

Other thoughts and reactions from others with Venice experiences?

Great added details and video from Tony!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,863 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Edited by TLCOhio

Venice is a total zoo the last few days of Mardi Gras...and like many places that celebrate Carnivale it is a day and night drunk fest :). But during the normal summer tourist season Venice becomes a pretty quiet place around 6pm once the day tourists leave the city. DW and I have roamed the back streets of Venice after 9pm and were often the only people on the street. Even in St Marks Square, it will be quiet after 10.

Venice is also relatively quiet in the morning (even in high season) before 10:30am. But then, the day tours start arriving en masse and things get pretty congested around both the St Marks Square and Rialto Bridge areas. But we always manage to find charming spots in Venice that are sans crowds. One just needs to get away from those two major areas (St Marks and Rialto Bridge) and avoid the streets that connect those two (most tourists will walk between those two parts of the city). In fact, a nice walk during the day is to stroll from the Piazzale Roma all the way to St Marks Square using back streets.

Hank

Thank you Tony, Terry and Hank!

The video's (which make me wish we were leaving tomorrow!) actually quite relieved my mind as the crowds shown are quite manageable compared to the masses of people during my visit there. I'm attaching some of the photo's I took during my visit so you can see what it was like. I can't figure out how to attach them as anything but thumbnails but hopefully you can see what I mean!

I do see your point though Terry that time of day will make a difference. And, Hank, during Carnevale we had to quite literally line up to SQUEEZE through the narrow alleyways between the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco. SQUEEZE as in my face was pressed up against the window of a cafe while I pushed my way through the street. So, avoiding those main routes is high on the list of smart tips to remember. Thank you!

1238091250_PiazzettadiSanMarco.jpg.3ae6c61fe06333b4ffb5fc0aad629ec2.jpg

1906623765_PiazzaSanMarco.jpg.d77135f300fb8c72f7ace3fef79480f6.jpg

900804819_RialtoBridge.jpg.bad72941a320048688f4d26808f66543.jpg

Edited by 80sGirl

Thank you Tony, Terry and Hank! I do see your point though Terry that time of day will make a difference. And, Hank, during Carnevale we had to quite literally line up to SQUEEZE through the narrow alleyways between the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco. SQUEEZE as in my face was pressed up against the window of a cafe while I pushed my way through the street. So, avoiding those main routes is high on the list of smart tips to remember. Thank you!

Well summarized by Beth and Hank. The challenge about Venice is that the narrow walk-ways in and around the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco get very congested during "normal" day-time hours. Can't image how bad it would have been for the Carnevale time period.

Great point by Hank on the early morning hours for Venice before the buses and mobs arrive. Plus, early am has more "magic" with its light for photography purposes.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 19,381 views for these postings.

This thread got me thinking about Venice strategies. If one can time their trip to avoid the really high season (and also avoid rain) then that is a good thing. But even in the high season there is a strategy that usually works well. We think the best time to be walking around the city is in late afternoon (after 4:30) into early evening. We know cruisers who overnight in Venice and rush back to their ship for their early dinners. The irony is that when these folks are having their dinner is actually the best time to be out and about. When DW and I are staying in Venice we will usually leave our hotel around 4pm and just walk for hours. By 5, many of the day-trippers are leaving the city and lots of non-Europeans are rushing to have their 5pm dinners (many Europeans would not dream of eating dinner before 9). DW and I normally will stay about after 4, perhaps stop for a glass of wine and snack, and then once we get tired of walking (usually around 8 or 9) we stop somewhere for a nice slow dinner. Then after dinner, when the city is really empty, we often will spend another hour (or two) just strolling and enjoying the atmosphere.

Hank

DW and I normally will stay about after 4, perhaps stop for a glass of wine and snack, and then once we get tired of walking (usually around 8 or 9) we stop somewhere for a nice slow dinner. Then after dinner, when the city is really empty, we often will spend another hour (or two) just strolling and enjoying the atmosphere.

Hank

Always knew you were quite a romantic soul! That's the way to see Venice.

This thread got me thinking about Venice strategies. If one can time their trip to avoid the really high season (and also avoid rain) then that is a good thing. But even in the high season there is a strategy that usually works well. We think the best time to be walking around the city is in late afternoon (after 4:30) into early evening. We know cruisers who overnight in Venice and rush back to their ship for their early dinners. The irony is that when these folks are having their dinner is actually the best time to be out and about. When DW and I are staying in Venice we will usually leave our hotel around 4pm and just walk for hours. By 5, many of the day-trippers are leaving the city and lots of non-Europeans are rushing to have their 5pm dinners (many Europeans would not dream of eating dinner before 9). DW and I normally will stay about after 4, perhaps stop for a glass of wine and snack, and then once we get tired of walking (usually around 8 or 9) we stop somewhere for a nice slow dinner. Then after dinner, when the city is really empty, we often will spend another hour (or two) just strolling and enjoying the atmosphere.

Hank

You know what I wonder, what time do the kids go to school in Italy? I know my granddaughters 13 & 15 are in bed by 9:00. They have to be up at 5:45 for school.

You know what I wonder, what time do the kids go to school in Italy? I know my granddaughters 13 & 15 are in bed by 9:00. They have to be up at 5:45 for school.

The Italians are amateurs when compared to the Spanish for late night dining. Once upon a time DW and I went to a highly rated restaurant in the city of Caceres, Spain. When we called to make a 9:00 reservation they advised us that the restaurant really did not open until 9:30 (and this was a school night). So, not wanting to be the first to arrive, we made a 10pm reservation. When we arrived at the restaurant about 10pm we were the first customers. By 11 the place was nearly full. At midnight a family of 6 (4 kids) were seated at the table next to us. DW and the Spanish lady soon got into a friendly discussion and DW ask how the children (2 were under 10 yrs old) could possibly go to school when they ate so late. The Senora explained that she puts the children to bed about 6:30pm and then wakes them around 11pm to get ready for dinner. She also told DW that most of their friends dined much earlier at about 10pm! Go figure.

The Italians are not nearly so crazy. When traveling throughout Italy we are usually in pretty good company if we go to dinner at 8:30 - 9:00.

Hank