Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

Yes, something has to be done to preserve Venice. There are thirteen cruise ships in port today!

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/venice-port-79?tab=schedule

This is not sustainable for the city, the people, the environment or anything else you can think of...

Until I clicked on this link and saw the picture of their harbor did I fully appreciate this point by marazul. These ships in this area are very large and the visual gives a good sense of proportion for how many people would be "dumped" on Venice at one time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,206 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the graphic/visual from that website. WOW!! These are both lots of ships and BIG ones, too!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-29%20at%206.32.55%20PM_zpsgq2wfqqk.jpg

Exactly. Tiny little medieval streets don't lend themselves to benches. Which is why I think this is a step too far. If they really want to make a differnce, limit the # of cruise ships, and eliminate turn-around in the port of Venice. 3 large cruise chips can equal 12k people. Add a turn-around, and that number becomes 24k trying to sightsee and then get on and off the island.

That is already happening and it would have happened several years ago except for being blocked by numerous legal challenges. In the future the Port of Venice will be limited to only small to medium size cruise ship with the huge cruise ships having to dock at another port facility located a few miles away on the mainland. Since "this is Italy" we shall all have to wait to see if the Italians truly impose the restrictions and perhaps toughen them by lowering the tonnage of ships allowed to use the Venice Maritima Port.

Hank

Until I clicked on this link and saw the picture of their harbor did I fully appreciate this point by marazul. These ships in this area are very large and the visual gives a good sense of proportion for how many people would be "dumped" on Venice at one time.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,206 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the graphic/visual from that website. WOW!! These are both lots of ships and BIG ones, too!:

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-29%20at%206.32.55%20PM_zpsgq2wfqqk.jpg

Terry

And your picture only shows 7 ships. Think of today with 6 more ships in port!

It is suicidal for Venice to have so many people in! Greed will kill them. There is no other way of saying it.

Yes, something has to be done to preserve Venice. There are thirteen cruise ships in port today!

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/venice-port-79?tab=schedule

This is not sustainable for the city, the people, the environment or anything else you can think of...

Actually, there are 12 ships in Venice today (one arrives at 11 pm local time), but three of them are very small (under 200, more like river boats) and 2 are small (450-686). The total # of pax is 16,000 and 91% of those come from just 6 ships. So it's not like 13 ships with 2,000+ pax each are in port. Now one could argue that 6 large (2,000-2,800) ships is too many. When we were there in Oct 2011 to board the Ruby P, there were at least 3 other large ships in the day we left. We took a vaporetto to the port with no problem. On the several days we were there pre-cruise and when I imagine there were several large ships in port, there was no problem with too many folks walking around/crowding, etc.. There were several large groups of school-age kids visiting St. Mark's Square area and that wasn't a problem (we stayed near there). I think it is up to the residents of Venice to decide how many is too many. I wonder how many tourists fly into Marco Polo airport on a daily basis to visit Venice.

Let's imagine that out of 16,000, 6,000 either went to the airport or stayed on board. That could make 10,000 tourists (plus however many are in town) in St. Mark's square and shuffling their way to Rialto. Many of them sitting on doorways or against store fronts. There is no way that is not a problem.

You are right, it is up to the Venetians to decide what is livable for the city.

Numbers of people are one issue, but the other even bigger issue has to do with what some call "overpressure" created when huge megaships move slowly through the Giudecca Canal. Anyone who has been in Venice and watched a huge cruise ship move by St Marks Square understands how these ships tower over the city and move very close to the shore. It has been argued that they create pressure waves which damage the already delicate foundations of many of the old buildings and other structures that line the canal. It is all too typical of Italy that they put lots of money into improving the port, built an expensive People Mover to help move the passengers, and then decided that the very ships they were trying to attract were severely damaging the delicate environment.

As one who loves to cruise and do it all over the world we have always found Venice a fun port. But this is one time where we think the so-called environmental wackoos have it right. They need ban the large ships from Venice. Passengers on those large vessels will be somewhat inconvenienced but will still be able to dock within 45 min of the city.

Hank

Numbers of people are one issue, but the other even bigger issue has to do with what some call "overpressure" created when huge megaships move slowly through the Giudecca Canal. As one who loves to cruise and do it all over the world we have always found Venice a fun port. But this is one time where we think the so-called environmental wackoos have it right. They need ban the large ships from Venice. Passengers on those large vessels will be somewhat inconvenienced but will still be able to dock within 45 min of the city. Hank

While I do not always agree with certain "do-gooders" who want to re-engineer the world to fit their personal or political philosophies, Hank does outline a good case here for the potential or probable situation in Venice. Not having an engineering background makes it harder to figure out what works or not. Of course, finding a "solution" is not easy, quick and/or without potential economic challenges to the Venice economy. Will keep following how those in Italy figure out and manage these difficult questions and situations. Of added challenge is the fact that their government structure and economics in Italy are so fractured and divided.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 60,287 views for these postings.

Let's imagine that out of 16,000, 6,000 either went to the airport or stayed on board. That could make 10,000 tourists (plus however many are in town) in St. Mark's square and shuffling their way to Rialto. Many of them sitting on doorways or against store fronts. There is no way that is not a problem.

Your comment about tourists (mostly from cruise ships) "sitting on doorways or against store fronts" would be a problem if it existed. But in 2011 when we there it didn't exist and I can't imagine cruise pax doing that. And as I said previously we were there several days pre-cruise, staying very near St. Mark's Square and were there multiple times every day of our visit. Can't believe it's changed that much. And who "shuffles" their way from St. Mark's Square to "Rialto" (I assume you mean the bridge). Most folks would take a vaparetto for that trip rather than deal with the maze of streets and canals between those two points (or any two points in Venice!).. We did walk a lot in that vicinity and couldn't have done it without a good map--one of the highlights of our walking was visiting La Fenice, the famous opera house.

Numbers of people are one issue, but the other even bigger issue has to do with what some call "overpressure" created when huge megaships move slowly through the Giudecca Canal. Anyone who has been in Venice and watched a huge cruise ship move by St Marks Square understands how these ships tower over the city and move very close to the shore. It has been argued that they create pressure waves which damage the already delicate foundations of many of the old buildings and other structures that line the canal. It is all too typical of Italy that they put lots of money into improving the port, built an expensive People Mover to help move the passengers, and then decided that the very ships they were trying to attract were severely damaging the delicate environment.

As one who loves to cruise and do it all over the world we have always found Venice a fun port. But this is one time where we think the so-called environmental wackoos have it right. They need ban the large ships from Venice. Passengers on those large vessels will be somewhat inconvenienced but will still be able to dock within 45 min of the city.

Hank

Hank, thanks for your post. I had not heard of the "overpressure" issue. Certainly something to be concerned about. Just one correction: no ships sail by St. Mark's Square. They go past Guidecca, the large island south of Venice and head west to the docks at the western end of Venice. I watched ships from afar at St. Mark's Square as ships did that and we experienced that route as our ship sailed away on the start of our cruise. If ships were to sail by St. Mark's Square, they'd be entering the Grand Canal, which can not accommodate them for many reasons, one being the Rialto Bridge.

Hank, thanks for your post. I had not heard of the "overpressure" issue. Certainly something to be concerned about. Just one correction: no ships sail by St. Mark's Square. They go past Guidecca, the large island south of Venice and head west to the docks at the western end of Venice. I watched ships from afar at St. Mark's Square as ships did that and we experienced that route as our ship sailed away on the start of our cruise. If ships were to sail by St. Mark's Square, they'd be entering the Grand Canal, which can not accommodate them for many reasons, one being the Rialto Bridge.

I think your memory may be playing false with you, over time.

Take a look at the linked map. Cruise ships into the Bacino (basin) of San Marco, going right bast the fondamente beside the Doge's Palace and the Piazzetta that forms the little leg of the Piazza San Marco.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/italy/venice/

I have been in Venice three times on ships since 2014 and I can assure you that is the route we took each time. I've also been up on the balcony above the Basilica of San Marco (where the bronze horses are) and seen the ships sailing right past the Piazzetta.

In fact, you can see it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/05/will-giant-cruise-ships-destroy-wonders-passengers-claim-to-love

(Scroll down to the third image....)3072.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

3072.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&

3072.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&

I've also seen some pretty bad tourist behavior in Venice (not saying it's all from cruise pax), and plenty of us have 'shuffled' between San Marco and the Rialto. Even in late November last year it was crowded...

We have been on several cruises that sailed up the Giudecca Canal directly in front of St Marks Square. The current main channel passes by St Marks Square and then the ships move between Venice and Giudecca. When sailing into Venice, if you bear Starboard as you pass St Marks Square you would indeed enter the Grand Canal...which cannot possibly handle a cruise ship. But the ships turn slightly to Port as they pass St Marks Square and then pass though Giudecca Canal. In fact, on one of those cruises a few years ago (Grand Princess) our Captain got special permission to dock right along the the straight area about 100 yards east of St Marks Square (about 2 pedestrian bridges from the Square. That causes a lot of controversy since we blocked the view for many small hotels and apartments in Venice and have heard it was never repeated. On that day we cruised past the Square, through the Giudecca Canal, and the the ship made a 180 right in front of the Maritima Port (the front of our bow came withing a few yards of shore as we completed the tight maneuver). Our Captain then slowly moved the ship back up the Giudecca Canal and docked just past St Marks Square with our stern facing in the direction of the Giudecca Canal. There was a large Celebration that night (fireworks and a boat parade) and we had front row seats on the stern of the Grand Princess. The word was that the, then Italian Captain of the Grand Princess's', brother was very good friends with the Mayor of Venice and that is how they got special permission to use that docking location. We could never verify whether that part was true, but it was even reported that way in the local papers.

There has long been talk of dredging another deep channel on the other side of the island of Giudecca but we are not aware what even happened to that proposal.

Hank

Your comment about tourists (mostly from cruise ships) "sitting on doorways or against store fronts" would be a problem if it existed. But in 2011 when we there it didn't exist and I can't imagine cruise pax doing that. And as I said previously we were there several days pre-cruise, staying very near St. Mark's Square and were there multiple times every day of our visit. Can't believe it's changed that much. And who "shuffles" their way from St. Mark's Square to "Rialto" (I assume you mean the bridge). Most folks would take a vaparetto for that trip rather than deal with the maze of streets and canals between those two points (or any two points in Venice!).. We did walk a lot in that vicinity and couldn't have done it without a good map--one of the highlights of our walking was visiting La Fenice, the famous opera house.

I stayed in Venice for five days exactly one month ago. I stayed at a hotel on the Grand Canal very near San Marco and on the way to Rialto. Rialto is not only the bridge, but also what the neighborhood in the immediate vicinity is called. Plenty of people "shuffle" their way between San Marco and the Rialto, particularly choking the narrower streets whether they take the longer route exiting San Marco through Salizzada San Moise or the more direct route through Calle dei Fabbri. In fact walking through "the maze of streets and canals" is what most visitors like to do following what many guide books recommend with statements like "lose yourself in the small alleyways," etc, etc. As for the area of the Rialto, it was wall-to-wall people especially with the opening of the new Fondamenta dei Tedeschi shopping center right next to the bridge.

And there is no need to imagine cruise pax sitting on doorways. You can look at them. Many of them are wearing their ship badges. Many other non-cruise tourists also, I am sure. They exist. You can also see the signs in front of stores and private houses saying "do not sit here."

We have been to Venice at least six or seven times over the years, including at least once more time since 2011. Every time there have been more and more people, noticeably from cruise ships. Yes, look for the ship badges. They are everywhere.

Edited by marazul

I think your memory may be playing false with you, over time. Take a look at the linked map. Cruise ships into the Bacino (basin) of San Marco, going right bast the fondamente beside the Doge's Palace and the Piazzetta that forms the little leg of the Piazza San Marco.

Appreciate these additional comments, experiences and follow-ups. Yes, we loved passing right by the heart of Venice, BOTH, coming in and going out!! Earlier on this thread, below are a couple items of "visual evidence". How close were we? It is a wide stretch of water. How does it all work from a scientific and engineering standpoint? What do these larger ships do in damage versus the many smaller watercraft working around on these open water areas? Not sure. I don't have either that experience and/or professional background. But, we had a great vantage point to soak up these amazing sites and sights from Venice.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 42,789 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

As we sailed into Venice in June 2011, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there as our 2,800-passenger Celebrity Solstice passed by the heart of this historic city.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

On our sail-out (also a great must see and do) in Venice, this was the view showing the distance from the ship to historic areas as passengers were on the top deck seeing the various churches and historic buildings.:

VeniceSailOutShipView.jpg

Apparently Venice has changed their policy re the route cruise ships take to the piers. We have not sailed into Venice, only out of it. When we were there in 2011 and staying near St. Mark's pre-cruise, I got up early enough to watch our ship arrive from the vantage point of the waterfront by St Mark's Square. It cruised in south of Guidecca so not nearly as close as your photo implies and when we sailed later that day we went the same way. I'm surprised they let ships come so much closer to the heart of Venice given the concerns expressed in an earlier post in this thread.

Interesting. We sailed into Venice on Azamara. As we were docking at San Basilio we sailed along the Guidecca Canal and so did one of the fairly large Aida ships that sailed past us to get to Maritima. However we saw other very large ships docked right across on the mainland, so they didn’t go anywhere near the main island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting. We sailed into Venice on Azamara. As we were docking at San Basilio we sailed along the Guidecca Canal and so did one of the fairly large Aida ships that sailed past us to get to Maritima. However we saw other very large ships docked right across on the mainland, so they didn’t go anywhere near the main island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The docking situation in Venice is confusing. It was announced last year that ships of more than 55,000 tons would no longer be able to sail into the Bacino San Marco and down Giudecca canal, but would have to take a longer route through the lagoon and dock in Marghera. However, these facilities are yet to be constructed and won't be ready until 2021.

In the interim, I believe there is still some sort of moratorium on really large ships docking in Venice at Marittima, which is why cruise lines have been sending there more moderately-sized vessels for the past couple of years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-cruise-ship-ban-55-tonnes-marghera-port-where-is-it-italy-a8044026.html

The large ships you saw on the mainland may have been ones under construction in the Fincantieri shipyard. I know I saw at least two ships there when I was going from the airport into Venice last May -- one of them was the new Holland American ship of about 100,000 tons.

The docking situation in Venice is confusing. It was announced last year that ships of more than 55,000 tons would no longer be able to sail into the Bacino San Marco and down Giudecca canal, but would have to take a longer route through the lagoon and dock in Marghera. However, these facilities are yet to be constructed and won't be ready until 2021. . . .

Thanks for that info. I just checked our favorite cruise line, Princess, to see what ship(s) they are sending to Venice in the future. Only the Pacific Princess (30,000 tons) will be visiting in 2019 and just once (Oct.). I don't know the last time one of the line's larger ships visited (we embarked the Ruby there for a TA in 2011). However, from what I saw on the Venice port schedule, Princess is the only major line with large ships (more than 55,000 GT) that aren't calling at Venice this year.

Appreciate all of these helpful follow-ups and added information regarding these challenges and situations facing Venice's future. For hotels or places to stay in Venice and Rome, the good news is that there are many, many options and potentials. But, costs can vary much. For us, we focus first on location and being handy to what most interests us. Do searching on websites such as TripAdvisor, considering location as an important priority. Getting an early booking done and then check back to see if better and/or lower-cost options become available as you get closer to your visit time.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: Secret sights: hidden attractions you didn't know around the world with these specific highlights related to Venice: “Anne Hanley's hidden gems include Palazzo Grimani 'one of the city's great Renaissance private palazzos', which reopened in 2008 after a 27-year restoration. And don't forget that a gondola ride need not mean getting ripped off. 'You can get a gondola ride for far less try taking one of the large traghetto (ferry) gondolas with two oarsmen that cross the Grand Canal at strategy points,' she says. 'It's de regular to do the crossing standing up, like the locals.'

For more on Palazzo Grimani, check www.palazzogrimani.org.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/secret-sights-in-the-city-hidden-attractions/dubai/

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,533 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From this UK newspaper profile, below is the visual used to illustrate this information about this interesting Palazzo Grimani attraction in Venice.:

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-07%20at%2010.35.16%20AM_zpst3pde5fj.png

The wife and I will be taking a cruise from Venice to Rome in June of 2019. We are looking for recommendations for hotels or B&Bs in Venice for two days before the cruise and in Rome or surrounding area for three days after the cruise.

My husband and I will be in Venice for two nights before our Venice to Rome cruise in August 2019. I have booked a room at the Hotel Colombina which is on the canal with the Bridge of Sighs. They have a live webcam from one of the rooms looking down the canal with 5 bridges in sight. I've become addicted to the webcam watching in the morning and late evening because of the 9 hour time difference. Whether you choose this hotel or not, watching the webcam sure brings me great joy and anticipation of this trip to Venice.

https://www.hotelcolombina.com/location/

My husband and I will be in Venice for two nights before our Venice to Rome cruise in August 2019. I have booked a room at the Hotel Colombina which is on the canal with the Bridge of Sighs. They have a live webcam from one of the rooms looking down the canal with 5 bridges in sight. I've become addicted to the webcam watching in the morning and late evening because of the 9 hour time difference. Whether you choose this hotel or not, watching the webcam sure brings me great joy and anticipation of this trip to Venice.

https://www.hotelcolombina.com/location/

Appreciate your follow-up and the details for this hotel, its webcam, etc. Sounds like a handy location near many top attractions. BUT, make sure you explore Venice and get away from the busy, most tourist-focused locations. Walking around in "real Venice" is so much fun, too!!

From the Irish Times in late September, they had this headline: Lured by the light of Tintoretto's Venice 500 years after the artist's birth about how their writer "explores the timeless Italian city where avant-garde Renaissance superstar Jacopo 'Tintoretto' Robusti spent his life".

Here are some of the story highlights: For centuries, writers and painters have been captivated by Venice. Grandiose art, elaborate architecture and seductive courtesans have all contributed to its allure. But above all, it's the light that makes this floating city so special – a quality shining just as brightly as it did during the Renaissance. Of all the grand masters who lived in this history-strewn labyrinth, only one can be called a true son of the city, starting and finishing his life in this network of 118 islands erected on wood pilings in the Adriatic Sea. And with celebrations for the 500th anniversary of his birth starting this month – and continuing into 2019, Jacopo 'Tintoretto' Robusti should receive the mainstream international attention he deserves.

Full story at:

https://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/2018/09/29/news/travel-lured-by-the-light-of-tintoretto-s-venice-500-years-after-the-artist-s-birth-1441129/

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 213,497 views for this posting.

Appreciate your follow-up and the details for this hotel, its webcam, etc. Sounds like a handy location near many top attractions. BUT, make sure you explore Venice and get away from the busy, most tourist-focused locations. Walking around in "real Venice" is so much fun, too!!

Yes, we definitely plan on exploring as much as we can. I love reading yours and others suggestions and researching as much as I can. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and the stories you have found.

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 12:44 AM, Kittie Ladie said:
TLCOhio said:Yes, we definitely plan on exploring as much as we can. I love reading yours and others suggestions and researching as much as I can. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and the stories you have found.

Appreciate the nice follow-up from Kittie.  If interested in more fascinating history and visuals, we just completed our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings,Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  To see the trip live/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  Just over 6000 views so far on this live/blog. 

Connect to our latest exploring at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg