Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

We will be in Venice in October and are thinking of attending Mass at St. Marks on a weekday morning (there appears to be a sung mass at 9am). I was wondering if any CCers have done this. If so, any advice? We know that dress must be appropriate, but have never attended services in Italy. (have done so in UK, France and Russia without incident).

I asked this question on our roll call, but there was no response. Hoping someone on this forum can help.

Jack

Edited by Azjack
sent in error

We will be in Venice in October and are thinking of attending Mass at St. Marks on a weekday morning (there appears to be a sung mass at 9am). I was wondering if any CCers have done this. If so, any advice? We know that dress must be appropriate, but have never attended services in Italy. (have done so in UK, France and Russia without incident). I asked this question on our roll call, but there was no response. Hoping someone on this forum can help. Jack

Hi, Jack!! As this one picture below shows, a small mass was happening around the roughly 9-10 am time period during my visit inside St. Marks. It was at one of the side chapels. I am not Catholic and am not sure on the exact details for mass there.

From the AFP newswire and some of the Fairfax newspapers in Australia yesterday, they have this headline: "Tourists get bill shock at Venice cafe" with these highlights: "Tourists going to Venice beware - and make sure you read the fine print. Everyone knows the lagoon city can be expensive but seven tourists from Rome got a bitter surprise when their bill for four coffees and three liqueurs at an outdoor cafe topped 100 euros ($148). The scene of the mishap was the famed Caffe Lavena in St. Mark's Square, where 19th century German composer Richard Wagner, who died in Venice in 1883, sat to have his morning coffee every day when he lived in the city. What the Roman tourists did not notice when looking at the menu was the 'music surcharge' of six euros per person. It added up to 42 euros, or nearly half of the bill. The owners of the famous cafe, which opened in 1750 and where clients are served by white-jacketed waiters as a chamber orchestra plays, defended themselves. They said all the prices (six euros for a coffee and 10 for a liqueur) as well as the music surcharge, are printed on the menus. 'If they found the prices too high, they could have got up and gone somewhere else, like many people do, or have the coffee standing at the bar inside, where it costs one euro,' Lavena's manager, Massimo Milanese, told the Corriere della Sera newspaper."

Full story at:

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/tourists-get-bill-shock-at-venice-cafe-20130821-2sacy.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 116,589 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

St. Mark’s is still an active church in Venice. Here is a priest preparing to serve members in one of the side chapels in this large cathedral in Venice.:

VeniceStMarksPriestSideChapel.jpg

I just finished reading and viewing this terrific thread. We are visiting Venice/Italy for the first time in October prior to the transatlantic cruise on Royal Princess. It was fun looking at the pictures and links to the utube videos.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures, comments and even questions. A lot of what we are thinking of doing is so well covered here.

I have made a word document with relevant information to keep on my computer for reference. Will make good reading on the flight over.

Can you tell..getting a bit excited now.

Again efferts of many helping individuals.

Katherine

• 2 weeks later...

Venice is so beautiful place and we all love it and 2 nights was not enough. My son (16) thought that the place was so beautiful and he said if he have a girlfriend and he will take her to Venice. Oh bless him. We enjoyed it so much and beautiful weather. We went up ( I forgot what name) at Marks Square and we saw beautiful view of Venice. I took lots of photo.

My husband and I will go back again to see more church and museum...

We enjoyed sailed with Splendour of the Seas and watch Venice. I think it was best ever....

Scottishwee35

Edited by scottishwee35

I just finished reading and viewing this terrific thread. We are visiting Venice/Italy for the first time in October prior to the transatlantic cruise on Royal Princess. It was fun looking at the pictures and links to the utube videos. Thanks to everyone who posted pictures, comments and even questions. A lot of what we are thinking of doing is so well covered here. I have made a word document with relevant information to keep on my computer for reference. Will make good reading on the flight over. Can you tell..getting a bit excited now. Again efferts of many helping individuals. Katherine

scottishwee35: Venice is so beautiful place and we all love it and 2 nights was not enough. My son (16) thought that the place was so beautiful and he said if he have a girlfriend and he will take her to Venice. Oh bless him. We enjoyed it so much and beautiful weather. We went up ( I forgot what name) at Marks Square and we saw beautiful view of Venice. I took lots of photo. My husband and I will go back again to see more church and museum... We enjoyed sailed with Splendour of the Seas and watch Venice. I think it was best ever....Scottishwee35

Appreciate so much these two above posts. Glad that Venice is so easy to love and enjoy.

From the Daily Mail in London during this past week' date=' they have this headline: [b']"Venice bans famous gondolas from Grand Canal during busy periods after water way collision kills tourist"[/b] with these highlights: "Venice's famous gondoliers are to be banned from the city’s Grand Canal following the death of a tourist in a waterway collision. Fifty-year old Joachim Vogel from Germany died earlier this month when the vessel he was travelling on collided with a vaporetto water taxi. Now the lagoon city is drawing up proposals to introduce a floating congestion zone, which would prevent the traditional boats from operating during rush hours. The gondolier in command of the vessel Mr Vogel and his family were travelling on tested positive for cocaine use prompting new regulation on drug and alcohol use to be rushed through as well. The customary serenades that honeymooners have enjoyed for centuries will only be able to take place at night, according to the proposals, and vessel captains will no longer be allowed to use mobile phones while they are in command. Until now Venice has operated as something of a free for all with cruise ships, speed boats and water taxis joining small craft jostling for space on the major canals. The city’s mayor Giorgio Orsoni said: 'We have to think of the Grand Canal as a street, a main street like that of all cities, with particularly heavy traffic. We need some discipline.' The mayor of Venice said the city ought to treat the Grand Canal like a main street with heavy traffic in order to avoid further accidents"

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2402751/Venice-bans-famous-gondolas-Grand-Canal-busy-periods-water-way-collision-kills-tourist.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,074 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Wow... I hadn't heard about the Grand Canal and the gondolas. Here's a video from our trip just a year ago. The rest of my family was sleeping and these guys floated right under me. I'll never forget the sound of the singing!!

He really gets singing about the 22 second point!!

We will be in Venice in October and are thinking of attending Mass at St. Marks on a weekday morning (there appears to be a sung mass at 9am). I was wondering if any CCers have done this. If so, any advice? We know that dress must be appropriate, but have never attended services in Italy. (have done so in UK, France and Russia without incident).

I asked this question on our roll call, but there was no response. Hoping someone on this forum can help.

Jack

I do this all the time.

I'm Catholic, and typically looking to get to mass on Sunday anyway. But in port, we'll happily head for mass anytime, anywhere. When we were in Venice in 2007, a mass (in Polish) was just getting started as our tour of St. Marks was ending. Then later (early evening) we took the vaporetto over to Lido. A sudden rainstorm blew in and we ducked into the closest church. Not mass, but they were saying the rosary. Again we stuck around. I really appreciated the high school Latin.

On our TA, at a stop in Sardinia, we went searching for mass and happened upon an awesome choral concert. This was serendipitous. I make it a point when traveling to dress for church anyway, so I'm ready for whatever is happening. Even in the Caribbean, I'll throw a dress over my swimsuit. (Nice, cool & shaded church in St. Martin, steps off the beach, btw).

I highly recommend going to church services. It has made many a free or low cost excursion. It is generally a cool place to rest away from crowds and pigeons. I get as good a chance as any to mingle with locals during and immediately after church.

We'll be in Venice again in under 2 weeks, on Sunday. However, we will make a point this time of going to a different church besides St. Mark's.

Enjoy your time there.

Jack

Jack,

Here is the mass schedule at St Marks from the Basilica website. We were there in June and attended early mass before it was open to public, and then stayed to view the Basilica before the crowds came in. The entrance is on the left hand side of the Basillica as you face it from the front. It is a non assuming entrance - there will be someone standing there. Just have your legs and shoulders covered. Casual clothing is acceptable.

Ray

Liturgical calendar | Holy Masses

The holy masses celebrated in the basilica are free of charge and you do not have to make a reservation as for the visits.

The entrance is from the Porta dei Fiori (north façade) in the Piazzetta dei Leoncini.

Weekdays

07:00 a.m.; 08:00 a.m.; 09:00 a.m.(Sung Mass of the Charter of the Canons preceded by the celebration of the praises); 10:00 a.m. (in baptistery); 11:00 a.m.; 12:00 (suspended in the months of July and August); 06:45 p.m. (preceded by the celebration of Vespers and the rosary).

The 06:45 p.m. Mass is the first of the Sunday/holiday Masses on Saturdays and days preceding holidays

Sundays and holidays

07:00 a.m.; 08:00 a.m.; 09:00 a.m.; 10:30 a.m. (Sung Mass with brief remarks in various languages, St. Mark's Chapel); 12:00; 05:30 p.m. (Celebration of Vespers and Madonna Nicopeia procession with the chant of the litanies); 06:45 p.m..

The 6:45 p.m. evening Mass is often animated by foreign choirs passing through Venice.

Does anyone recall how late the Murano glass factories and shops are open? We'll be in Venice for an overnight in October and trying to get to Murano late in the first afternoon. We wouldn't want to waste a trip if they close early. Does anyone have a 'favorite'?

How about a favorite Venice restaurant for dinner?

Thanks for the help.

Richard

• 6 months later...

From the National Post in Canada yesterday, they have this headline: "Sunday referendum may see Venice elect to secede from Italy" with these highlights: "Voting begins Sunday on a referendum on whether Venice and its surrounding region should secede from the rest of Italy, in an attempt to restore its 1,000-year history as a sovereign republic. La Serenissima — or the Most Serene Republic of Venice — was an independent trading power for a millennium before its last leader was deposed by Napoleon in 1797. The republic encompassed not just Venice but what is now the surrounding region of Veneto and it is there that the vote will take place from tomorrow until Friday."

As added background in the story are these details: "For decades there has been deep-seated dissatisfaction in the rich northern regions of Italy with what is widely regarded as inefficient and venal rule from Rome, as well as resentment that hard-won tax revenues are sent south and often squandered. About 3.8 million people in Veneto are eligible to vote. Campaigners want a future state to be known as Repubblica Veneta — the Republic of Veneto."

From the BBC, they note: "Recent opinion polls suggest that two thirds of the four million electorate favour splitting from Rome, but the vote will not be legally binding."

Does not looking as if Venice will exit Italy any time soon, but clearly the "debate" and questions makes things interesting for the future there. If the Crimea part of the Ukraine can do it, why not parts of Italy (Venice) or Spain (Barcelona region) to go their own ways?

Full stories at:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/15/more-sovereignty-votes-sunday-referendum-may-see-venice-elect-to-secede-from-italy/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26604044

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 43,474 views for this fun posting.

Hmmm. Am thinking the Venetians will have to wait behind the Texans who also want to seced from their country. And then there is Quebec. Seems like an International conspiracy. One thing that people, from all over the world, seem to have in common is a dislike for their government. With the exception of Norway, we cannot recall being anywhere in recent years (and we have been to many countries) where the general public had anything good to say about their government.

Hank

Hi, Terry!

Well, I have been waiting almost seven years since our Venetian host told us there would be a new port built for Venice down the coast to avoid the damage the large ships are making in the lagoon. But only six months since our sailaway was delayed by a protest over the large ships in the very same controversial waters on a day there were 12 cruise ships in port.

So don't hold your breath waiting for La Serenissima to return anytime soon!:)

Edited by CintiPam

Hmmm. Am thinking the Venetians will have to wait behind the Texans who also want to seced from their country. And then there is Quebec. Seems like an International conspiracy. One thing that people, from all over the world, seem to have in common is a dislike for their government. With the exception of Norway, we cannot recall being anywhere in recent years (and we have been to many countries) where the general public had anything good to say about their government. Hank

CintiPam: Hi' date=' Terry! Well, I have been waiting almost seven years since our Venetian host told us there would be a new port built for Venice down the coast to avoid the damage the large ships are making in the lagoon. But only six months since our sailaway was delayed by a protest over the large ships in the very same controversial waters on a day there were 12 cruise ships in port. So [b']don't hold your breath waiting for La Serenissima[/b] to return anytime soon!

Appreciate the added background and perspectives from super posters Hank and Pam. Lots of "feelings" around in the world for people wanting to do things differently. This includes California where there has been big "tension" between north versus south versus the more rural areas. Remember when Czechoslovakia was one country after its 1989, peaceful "Velvet Revolution". But, then nationalism happened and in 1993, they peacefully split into the independent Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Economics drives lots of these desires to split off. This includes the "mess" in Spain adding to the push for the area around Barcelona wanting to split off. Much there is also based on the history of Catalonia, the Catalan language and Catalan traditions. Makes for an interesting world!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 20,961 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Telegraph in London on March 18, they have this headline: "Venice ordered to allow big cruise ships back into lagoon" with these highlights: "Venice has been ordered to allow large cruise ships back into its lagoon, months after the Italian government decreed that they should be banned because of the environmental damage they do to the World Heritage-listed city."

Good news for cruise ship visitors. Here are some of the added story details: "A regional tribunal overturned a law introduced last November which reduced the number of cruise liners of more than 40,000 tons permitted to enter from the Adriatic and plough their way towards Venice’s cruise ship terminal. More stringent rules, which would have banned outright ships of more than 96,000 tons – some of which are twice as long as St Mark’s Square and dwarf Venice’s centuries-old spires and domes – were to have been introduced in 2015. The decision is a victory for the cruise ship industry, which has dismissed concerns that cruise liners cause damage to Venice’s delicate foundations and scoffed at suggestions that another Costa Concordia-style disaster could occur if a passenger liner strayed off course."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10706026/Venice-ordered-to-allow-big-cruise-ships-back-into-lagoon.html

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 44,732 views for this fun posting.

• 1 month later...

You might also enjoy Donna Leon's series of novels set in Venice. Guido Brunetti, Venetian Police Force, is the main character. The little books are all about Venice, food, wine and scenery; his family; and usually the crime is a supporting player. He has now become responsible for some tourism, just like what the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy did for Stockholm.

• 1 month later...
You might also enjoy Donna Leon's series of novels set in Venice. Guido Brunetti, Venetian Police Force, is the main character. The little books are all about Venice, food, wine and scenery; his family; and usually the crime is a supporting player. He has now become responsible for some tourism, just like what the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy did for Stockholm.

Excellent above suggestions from the always helpful and smart duct tape. Many key cities in the world do have interesting histories that can be connected nicely via established literature about them, their culture, characters, etc.

Coming Sunday morning in the New York Times travel section, they have this headline: "36 Hours in Venice" with these highlights: "As frustrating as it is fascinating, Venice is not an easy city to get to know. Getting lost is a given. The crowds can be beastly. And yes, the whole place is sinking — literally under rising sea levels, and figuratively beneath the weight of day-tripping tourists. But these obstacles have not hindered this beguiling city from establishing itself over the past decade as the pre-eminent place in Italy for contemporary art. More recently, a wave of high-end hotels has opened along the Grand Canal, and back alleys have been set abuzz with new nightspots and a revived restaurant scene. So leave the famous sights to the crowds and instead drink up the less overt charms of this watery wonderland."

Yes, this great, wonderfully historic treasure can be confusing, but my view is that seeking to get lost there is part of the fun. Exploring and discovering!!

Lots of nice tips, ideas, suggestions for places to explore and enjoy in Venice. Hopefully, you can enjoy overnight in this city when the day-tripper crowds exit.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/travel/36-hours-in-venice.html?ref=travel

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 145,571 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

From the Guardian in London on Friday, they have this headline: "Venice city guide: a day in Dorsoduro" with these highlights: "Hop over the Grand Canal to Dorsoduro and you’ll get a flavour of the ‘real Venice’ without the crowds of San Marco and for a fraction of the cost".

Here are a few more story highlights: "Hordes of tourists and high prices put many people off Venice, but you don’t have to venture far from San Marco to find quiet streets, locals’ haunts and bargains. Dorsoduro, a hop over the Grand Canal via the Accademia bridge, has as many great museums, galleries and churches, but a fraction of the crowds and costs. Artists and designers are moving into the eastern end of the sestiere, and the north-western tip has the city’s liveliest nightlife, in the alleyways around a large studenty square."

Lots of specific suggestion, visuals, map locations, etc., are included in this newspaper profile. We enjoyed walking and exploring in this Dorsoduro area. Don't miss!!

Full story at:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/05/-sp-venice-city-guide-a-day-in-dorsoduro

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 176,479 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Is this the best way to get from the cruise terminal or take the ships water taxi?

Do you have any details and costs please.

Would appreciate any information you all have .

Thanks

Scotslizzy

If you can do the water taxi. Our group of 7 people used 2 private water taxis. The hotel helped us get the taxi right at the end of our street. We have some interesting pictures from each boat. Arrival between the 2 ships at the pier was the best. Memories certainly justified the cost.

We did use the people mover to return into town the next day. There is a fair walk from the pier to the people mover, doable, cheaper, but remember the luggage to drag along. Try google earth to get an idea of this option

Have fun an your cruise.

Is this the best way to get from the cruise terminal or take the ships water taxi?

Do you have any details and costs please.

Would appreciate any information you all have .

Thanks

Scotslizzy

Your post does not tell us enough to give you a good answer. Where do you want to go from the cruise terminal? And we would add that the ships do not have a "water taxi" as these are very small boats that can only hold up to 10 people (if they do not have a lot of luggage). Water taxis are quite expensive and it will usually cost a minimum of about 90 Euros. Most visitors to Venice never use these expensive taxis.

Hank

Sorry should have been more detailed.

After we have cheked in and gotton a little somehting to eat at the buffet we want to get off the ship and explore Venice . So I know about the ships shuttle which can be used for multiple journeys (we are not sailing until 5.00p.m. the next day.

Versus the People Mover whoch I have not utilsed before but keep hearign about . How convenient is this as opposed to the ships shuttle in terms of costs etc .

Thanks

Scotslizzy

• 2 months later...
Thanks Terry for those lovely pictures - how lovely it would have been to be a guest at the wedding!

Did a posting on another board about the George Clooney wedding over this weekend in wonderful Venice and got this above response. Yes, it would have been wonderful to have been there in Venice. Great weather and fun. Below are a couple of pictures from the Daily Mail in London from over this weekend. Loved seeing the sights, buildings, architecture, history, character, etc., of this unique Italian town in such a world-class setting.

Bring back nice memories about Venice. Good site for a wedding, plus bringing in the stars!!

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 79,422 views for this fun posting.

From the Daily Mail in London, here are two of the many pictures they have on their website. First shows George and his new bride on the day after the ceremony enroute to a Sunday brunch. Great Venice background, right? Second was George in his tux on the way to the ceremony. Lots of other boats are all around them on the Grand Canal, including photographers working to get lots of pictures of the stars. Fun!!:

article-2772608-21BE695D00000578-678_964x508_zps0888472d.jpg

1411854701270_wps_55_Picture_Shows_General_Vie_zps8a63596a.jpg

• 2 months later...

From CNN in late November, they have this headline: "Venice officials deny ban on wheeled suitcases" with these highlights: "Officials in the Italian city of Venice are denying a reported ban on wheeled luggage, saying they won't impose large fines on tourists using them. Last week they were widely quoted saying they hoped draft laws to be introduced in May 2015 would curb damage and disturbance from noisy bags. The prospect of fines of up to 500 euros ($620) generated uproar and concerns about how many of the 22 million tourists who annually visit Venice would cart their luggage into a destination with restricted access to vehicles."

Good news!! Common sense prevails!!

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/travel/venice-wheeled-suitcases/

We are getting ready for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. More fun, adventure and interesting pictures. Still have more to be doing with the future research and planning on this trip!!

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,212 views for this posting.