One night stay in Sydney

pj4jj

Ok, I'm only staying one night before cruise...and I'm spending all my dollars on the cruise...where should I stay? I would like nice location, inexpensive, and quite. Can you help me please?

Thank you!:cool:

You have presented a conundrum, Sydney is not cheap and nice is expensive. If you can spend in the area of $150 -225 you will do allright. Many here have recommended a site called wotif, you might give it a try.

Ideally you should loook in the Darling Harbour area as it tends a bit less than the Rocks and Circular Quay. Ibis has some properties - they are basic but generally OK. Good Luck

Have a look at these sites, all of which we have booked with before without hassles. As mentioned wotif.com.au, also ratestogo.com.au, quickbeds.com.au, laterate.com.au. We often stay at the Ibis, when the rates are good, small rooms but clean and sufficient. You will find the Ibis on all these sites, but they are a sub company of accor hotels....so check out their web site too.

Jen

Your cruise departs from Wharf 5 in Hickson Rd (which is the extension of Sussex St) which is within walking distance of the excellent Metro Apartments at 132 Sussex St (or alternatively at 27 King St) . Bookings through : metrodarlingharbour@metrohg.com

Prices are quite reasonable for Sydney, by Sydney standards . Sydney is one of the Worlds more expensive cities for accommodation .

Thanks everyone! I have booked the Hilton in Sydney and used as many miles as I could and then paid the rest with credit card. So my stay there cost me only 186.00. Not a bad price for a great location and hotel?

Again, I know I can count on this board to help me out....:)

Thanks everyone! I have booked the Hilton in Sydney and used as many miles as I could and then paid the rest with credit card. So my stay there cost me only 186.00. Not a bad price for a great location and hotel?

Again, I know I can count on this board to help me out....:)

Stanc is being somewhat honest but in a less than helpful way. You asked for inexpensive and went with something pricier than many suggestions. This is not a bad thing just a thing. Also many would prefer a location nearer the Rocks and Circular Quay; however, you are near the Hyde Park and I have walked the distance to the Circular Quay easily myself. Don't worry, you will love it Sydney is a great town and Austalians are friendly, but they do tend to call a spade a spade and will have a time with people that they perceive as arrogant. Having experienced American Southern and Aussie welcomes I will tell you the latter is much more open and for me comfortable.

Stanc is being somewhat honest but in a less than helpful way. ... Austalians are friendly, but they do tend to call a spade a spade and will have a time with people that they perceive as arrogant.
Some of this rubs off on me, too. I have some sympathy with stanc61, given how everything said on this thread seems to have been ignored by the OP. I'm not sure whether to be glad that I didn't waste my time giving an answer to the original query, or to regret not having seeded the thread with lots of disinformation. :)

Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that if you didn't have anything nice to say DON'T say anything at all.
No.

But she did tell me that if I asked for help, I should listen to the people who responded.

You know, something like this would have gone a long way: "Thank you for all the suggestions, but having looked at them they're not really for me because we weren't actually looking for anything that cheap, and it wasn't actually necessary to have that good a location."

I'm surprised you couldn't find anything better or better located simply spending $186 cash alone.

I'm an American and I have to agree with stanc61, moyaroo and globaliser. You got some excellent advice about nice, affordable and quiet places to stay in Sydney, yet you went with the well-known American-branded hotel that ended up costing you both miles and a bunch of money. It's entirely your prerogative, but it's also a fact that you ignored good advice.

BTW, I would have recommended a great place I've stayed in The Rocks that would have cost you only AU 140, including full breakfast, but I didn't see your posting before you made your decision.

Try www.wotif.com.au for a last minute deal, also look directly at the hotel sites.

Sydneys hotels can get very high, it is much better to book further ahead, as the less rooms they have available, the more expensive the rooms get.

Have you tried this one, http://www.darlingharbour.crowneplaza.com/ as they had some good deals last year. I have read people have got deals at this one Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour.

Ok, I'm only staying one night before cruise...and I'm spending all my dollars on the cruise...where should I stay? I would like nice location, inexpensive, and quite. Can you help me please?

Thank you!:cool:

Maybe it's all about how you define "nice location, inexpensive, and quite (sic)". Clearly your budget is higher than your vague criteria indicated so the Hilton should be fine.

Carmic, the place I was thinking of is The Russell Hotel. You can get a standard room at this time of year with shared bath for AUD 150, including breakfast. They are undergoing some renovation now, so check their website for details to see whether this would affect your decision to stay there. Another great place to stay in The Rocks (my sister and brother-in-law stayed there) is the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour. The rates may be a bit higher, but my sister and her husband really liked it there.

I hope this info is helpful.

Could you please tell me the place in the Rocks section that you like. WE are looking for a place in Feb 2011. We have one day after our cruise and would like someplace nice to stay taht we can easily get around to see the "Must see sites of Sydney", then get to the airport easily in the morning. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. I Look forward to hearing your response!

I'm an American and I have to agree with stanc61, moyaroo and globaliser. You got some excellent advice about nice, affordable and quiet places to stay in Sydney, yet you went with the well-known American-branded hotel that ended up costing you both miles and a bunch of money. It's entirely your prerogative, but it's also a fact that you ignored good advice.

BTW, I would have recommended a great place I've stayed in The Rocks that would have cost you only AU 140, including full breakfast, but I didn't see your posting before you made your decision.

I always suggest the Holiday Inn (Old Sydney Holiday Inn on Google). It's bang in the middle of the Rocks with great restaurants/bars/cafes, shopping, galleries, etc and a 5 min walk to Circular Quay (where all the ferries operate from) and a 10 min walk to the Opera House and it's tucked right under the bridge. As Holiday Inns go it's basic but clean and tidy. It's also a short walk to Circular Quay railway station to the airport or you can grab a cab from outside the front door (about AU$45). I always recommend that you call/email the hotel direct and negotiate a deal because the cheap last-minute internet hotel room sites always take their cut. Budget for around $250-300 per room per night depending on your dates. For such a sensational location it's worth it IMO.

Archived