One night stay in Sydney

pj4jj

I'm looking for help too. I've alrady booked a hotel through an online site that I've had good luck with before, bookng smaller not main stream hotels, the reviews on line sounded okay for the price, but now I'm getting a bit nervous, coming all the way from Canada with no idea what this place or area is like...does anyone have any knowledge of the Castlereagh Boutique hotel on Castlereagh Street?

I don't need fancy but would like clean in a not too bad area. Any comments?

I'm looking for help too. I've alrady booked a hotel through an online site that I've had good luck with before, bookng smaller not main stream hotels, the reviews on line sounded okay for the price, but now I'm getting a bit nervous, coming all the way from Canada with no idea what this place or area is like...does anyone have any knowledge of the Castlereagh Boutique hotel on Castlereagh Street?

I haven't stayed there so can't comment on the standard, but the location seems pretty central.

The hotel looks very nice on its website. It's central but you will have a fair walk to the bridge, the opera house, the ferries, etc. and I doubt you will get any kind of harbour view. But if the price is right then grab it. The US dollar is suffering against the Aussie dollar at the moment so I'm afraid it's going to cost more than before to visit here.

Thanks for the responses.

I can do without a harbour view, after spending something like 24 hours in transit I suspect I'll be catching up on sleep a bit, then might try to see the zoo or some other points of interest before heading out. If it is in a central location and not the red light district or something it should do me fine. I haven't yet booked for the night after the cruise, which I am also spending in Sydney so I'll look at the other recommended hotels before I book that.

I'm starting with Canadian dollars which I hear are about at par with AUS$ right now...don't know if that is the usual situation or not but at least the cruise portion will be in US$ which is in a more favourable exchange right now than is usual.

I'm not sure, given the limited time I have in Sydney, and the possibility of jet lag, how much I'll be able to fit in but if anyone has any suggestions for not to be missed things in the city I'd like to hear them.

Thanks again for your help.

Aussie currency is perhaps stronger than ever thanks to the booming mine industry which has kept Australia chugging along while the world has been on hold. Just a month ago it was almost 10% weaker, sometimes I really wish I had forsight in Forex!

The Aussie dollar currently buys 97 US cents and is predicted to reach parity before the end of the year. It used to be around 65 US cents :cool:

Even lower not so long ago. For visitors to Australia now it's :eek: , for Australians going overseas it's :D .

Its only a 300 metre walk to Town Hall Station where you can get atrain to Circular Quay for the ferry to the Zoo. A taxi should not cost you anymore than $20 maximum within the CBD to Darling harbour or Circular Quay.

the hilton is lovely and right in the cbd (central business district) close to lots of shops (if that is your thing). it was renovated a few years ago and is really, really modern. standard rooms are a bit small, but very clean/modern. tripadvisor has photos. the restaurant and bar in the hilton are also good (albeit pricey) -- menus can be found on their website.

enjoy sydney. it is a great town (and my home) :)

• 2 weeks later...
I expect to be in Sidney this coming February, and am not worried about the cost. I would like recommendations for a really great hotel and accommodations. Any ideas?

My suggestion....

Shangri - La Hotel Sydney and book a high floor Harbour View room or suite.

Stunning Stunning Stunning.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/sydney/shangrila

"With stunning views of Sydney’s spectacular Harbour, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the world-famous Opera House, the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney brings welcoming Shangri-La hospitality to the historic Rocks district in the heart of this dynamic city."

I expect to be in Sidney this coming February, and am not worried about the cost. I would like recommendations for a really great hotel and accommodations. Any ideas?

I second the Shangri-La. It's right next to the bridge and a 5 min walk to the Rocks district and Circular Quay ferry terminal. Ask for a room with a bridge, Opera House AND harbour view on one of the higher floors. If your cruise ship is moored at the Overseas Passenger Terminal you'll get a bird's eye view of that too!

For really great hotel go for the Observatory, but the views aren't as good (Darling harbour isn't Circular Quay). for fantastic views and a very great hotel Park Hyatt (will be closing in march for total renovation including a new floor, but the property is in top notch condition now. third and best view is the Four Seasons (rooms are nicer than the Shangrila + it is not on top of a very steep hill so much easier to walk to and from.)

Archived