How strict is boarding time?

canuck23

I will be boarding the Solstice out of Fort Lauderdale, but I am flying to West Palm Beach airport. The ship leaves at 4:30 pm and from what I can tell you 'must' be checked in and on-board 90 mins prior to that time.

How strict is this? If I check in online beforehand and show up to the pier at 3:30 - 3:45, will they still let me on the boat?!

I will be boarding the Solstice out of Fort Lauderdale, but I am flying to West Palm Beach airport. The ship leaves at 4:30 pm and from what I can tell you 'must' be checked in and on-board 90 mins prior to that time.

How strict is this? If I check in online beforehand and show up to the pier at 3:30 - 3:45, will they still let me on the boat?!

Probably not. This is a TSA Homeland Security requirement. If this is going to be a problem for you I would call Celebrity ASAP!!

It is strict . Why ''test '' its reinforcement ? This is a cruise vacation you're going on !

The application of that rule is also NOT up to the cruise lines, whichever they are; it's a TSA//C&BP protocol and they'll apply it as rigidly as they see fit, no matter how someone tries to cut it too fine. If a ship is due out at 16'30, all guests must be shown as checked-in 90 minutes prior

( that's not the same as ''boarded'', which is a ship operation function)

If you're not actually checked-in by Celebrity shoreside folks ,in their system,by 15;45, you're in twilight zone....you may get lucky....you might not....but, why tempt fate ??

Good luck

Cheers

Don't question that one. Be there no later than 90 min pre cruise.

Do not arrive late - you likely would be denied boarding. You are required to be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing, so would have to arrive at the pier about two hours before sailing. As this rule is a direct result of government safety regulations there is not much wiggle room and exceptions are not easily granted. They do shut down the check in process well before sail-a-way time. If your flight is cutting it close you need to pay the change fee to give yourself some wiggle room. Better to pay a couple hundred dollars now than to have a significant chance of missing the ship.

Depending on traffic, it will take you probably 45 mins to an hour to get from WPB airport to the pier in Ft Lauderdale. How are you planning to do this? Taxi, private service, shuttle? Just like in airports, even though you check in online, you still have to go through customs and security before you even get to the check-in area. Since you plan to arrive rather late, you will avoid the check-in lines which is a plus, but just as planes don't wait for stragglers, neither do cruise ships. If you are not there at least 90 minutes before departure (usually even 2 hrs), they will pull up the gangway and you will be denied boarding. Checking in online only saves a few minutes at the check-in desk.

In mho, you should change your ticket to FLL or take a much earlier flight or ideally, arrive the day before (which is what most seasoned travelers do). So many things can go wrong- flight delays, traffic, breakdowns, etc., why take a chance and why start your cruise totally stressed???:confused:

Some people like to live on the edge... if you're one of them, give it a shot and let us know how it goes! I would be ready to fly to the first port to meet the ship in case they don't let you board...

It's a hassle and expense to change flights, and sometimes can't be avoided, but this really seems like you're asking for trouble!

Here is the official web page info from the cruise line. As everyone said, 90 minutes is the cut off point since they have to submit info to DHS 60 minutes before, so the cruise line wants 30 minuets to get that info ready. There’s no way you can do the 3:30 arrival with 4:30 sail time – that’s assuming you have no delays in flights/luggage retrieval/traffic along the way.

Try to fly in the night before. If not, I would look into the possibility of joining the ship on the first port of call as your odds of missing the cruise sail away are very very high.

Good luck.

It is the guest's responsibility to arrive on time for boarding. Please check with your travel agent to confirm boarding and departure times. Individual ticketed reservations will be held as late as 90 minutes before the vessel's scheduled departure without risk of automatic cancellation, or you may check-in ahead of time using Online Check-in. Failure to check in at least 90 minutes in advance will constitute a no-show. Your booking will be canceled, and cancellation charges will be assessed.

Note: For security reasons, guests are not allowed to bring visitors on board Celebrity vessels in any port.

Celebrity Cruises strongly recommend that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise.

New Government Regulations:

Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than 3 days prior to their cruise. If you have not completed Online Check-in, you will be required to complete this process at the pier two hours prior to the published sailing time.

Please note: Xpress Pass guests whose cruise departs from ports in the United States are required to be at the pier and checked-in no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you may not be permitted to board. For a cruise that departs from other ports not in the United States, please verify on your Guest Ticket Booklet.

CruiseCare Vacation Protection includes Trip Delay coverage up to $500. If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, the plan reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses.

*Please click here for new information regarding our Alcohol age policy.

I think that's a good idea. I've always traveled from a local port or left the day before since my first cruise, the person in charge of transfers loaded our luggage on a cart, and shouted "RUN RUN!" at us before taking off at a jog with all of our stuff.

We were yelled at on the bus, getting off the bus...I felt like I was in elementary school. Never again.

\

Nope they wont

You all scared me enough that I changed my flight to the day before!

Cheers to being onboard at noon instead! :)

Good decision. Assuming the flight change resulted in no extra charge, your marginal cost is just one extra night stay at the hotel in PBI area. You can get a decent 3 star hotel via Priceline or Hotwire bidding for less than $60 on most days. I wouldn’t tempt fate at these prices.

Keep in mind the 60 minute deadline is set by DHS, not the cruise line. DHS won’t cut you any slack.

Probably not. This is a TSA Homeland Security requirement. If this is going to be a problem for you I would call Celebrity ASAP!!

Personally I would not press my luck. I would be sure I was on the ship well before the 90 minute dead line. It is possible Celebrity may not let you board if you arrive later than the 90 minute mandated boarding time. You should check with them.

Online check in just gets your info into Celebrity's system so that check-in at the pier goes faster.

The list that Celebrity must turn in (for US ports of embarkation) is the list of those actually onboard for the cruise which is why they no longer permit boarding after the cutoff time.

Archived