Carnival Freedom - Quality Way Down - All ships?

madgally

[quote name='LMHSRN']Well, back to RCCL. Bye Bye, we won't miss your complaints. Personally, I don't understand why you would sail Carnival again. You have never had a good review after sailing. Why not just give up now![/QUOTE]

He likes to complain, get his credit for his next cruise, etc. Probably does this routinely at restaurants, hotels, cruise lines, etc. You are absolutely right...if it was that bad why would he be looking for a credit to apply for his next cruise. I disliked my one and only cruise so much on NCL that I wouldn't sail them again if it was free!!!

[quote name='madgally']We only had to eat dinner in there one night, it was due to a maid telling my younger daughter that my and my older daughter left for dinner when indeed we searching for her. The maid got in trouble and did apologize to us. We could of gone to the late dinner at 8:15 but I would of had to go alone as my friends table was full and my kids activities start at 8:30.[/QUOTE]

You got the "maid" in trouble cause you couldn't keep track of your kid?

Why would you think that because you couldn't keep track of your kid you would be able to dine at 8:15 if your assigned dining was early seating? If I was your "friends" my table would be full also, I would be embarrassed by your constant complaining.

[quote name='bonniemari']You got the "maid" in trouble cause you couldn't keep track of your kid?

Why would you think that because you couldn't keep track of your kid you would be able to dine at 8:15 if your assigned dining was early seating? If I was your "friends" my table would be full also, I would be embarrassed by your constant complaining.[/QUOTE]

Well said...can you hear me clapping from South Carolina!!!

We have been cruising since 1990 and I have noticed a small decline in the food quality over the years, but there is also a huge increase in variety and the price of cruises now compared to 20 years ago is huge. It is very inexpensive compared to what is cost back then. I don't think its just Carnival, I have noticed the food quality decline across the line, but I still wouldn't give up cruising for anything. The food is still totally fine, just not gourmet like it used to be, but that's fine with me. I cruise to have fun not to get fat.

JohnStevenGordon- you are assuming that people who cruise Carnival cannot afford any other lines, so I must tell you that you are incorrect.We have cruised 5 cruise lines. Some people enjoy Carnival and cruise other lines too. Cruising, to many is not just about food, it is an overall experience. Friends, family, ports, service,entertainment and yes, food all go into experience. Everyone is different, not that one is better than the other.

Maybe, if you have any extra time, you should take a course in spelling. For the free plug , I am sure Cunard would like their name spelled correctly:rolleyes:

Regarding the food observations of the OP.

All the main dining rooms on all ships use the same set of menus. So since the choices did not look as good to you, it might have been you. You were looking at the same menus as you had a year previously. the preparation of the food itself does vary somewhat but there is a part of always available items such as flat iron steak, chicken and salmon.

The buffet is what it is, a hot food line, an international line, Mongolian wok, fish and chips or specialty area depending on ship). It closes on Carnival. Then you have the pizza, grill (hamburgers ,hot dogs, etc.), deli, and room service available. You can always mix those up with eating on shore or in the main dining room for lunch on sea days. Most cruisers check out the times of operation and plan accordingly and don't end up bored.

I post this to help the newbies understand that there are many choices available as long as you plan ahead a little and are flexible. I always check the closing times they change on port days the lunch is usually served later and I often make it back in time for my favorite such as the Mongolian wok. I you like it to be mainly meat you could get fewer veggies per serving and just get two servings made ( people sometimes get two bowls made :) )

We have only been on one Carnival cruise and that was on the Pride in June 2010. The food in MDR was very good and I think I only had one item that was not up to par.
The Lido Buffet was a very different experience. We had late dining in the evening so we ate lunch later, usually after 2:30. As a diabetic, I have to watch carbs, so pizza, hot dogs, and burgers every day is not really a good option. I did enjoy the deli sandwiches on several days.
I also found the layout of the Lido very inefficient. As an RC cruiser this was my only real complaint of our Carnival cruise. We had a great time so don't flame me. jmo

[quote name='LMHSRN']Sounds like there was a petition. Would I be correct in guessing you started it?[/quote]

No I didn't start the petition I met a man in the hot tub who did. When he saw me again he had 200++ signatures and I signed it. I was sick it wouldn't of been fair.

[quote name='ck53']Cruising, to many is not just about food, it is an overall experience.[/quote]
Precisely! I DO NOT have to have good, tasty food. I just want convenient food. At least as convenient as the food I have at home.

I absolutely do not care if the best they can do is open a can of soup and nuke it in the microwave. If it's good enough for me at home, it is good enough for me on a cruise.

The only thing I gripe about is that there are times when it is not convenient to get food. Either there is a long line, or you have to walk a long way, or you have to call room service and wait 45 minutes. None of those are anywhere near the convenience I have at home.

[quote name='aly2445']I just got off the freedom on Sunday and had a fabulous time. Honestly, no complaints. The Mongolian grill does let you pick what type of meat and sauce you want, but not how much. But who cares right? It's free and you can get more when you're done with that. The deli was opened 11am-11pm everyday and of course pizza and ice cream 24/7 and room service 24/7. Yes, the buffets did close by 2:30 most of the day, but I also learned just to eat earlier and I figured by the time dinner came around, I'd be hungry and they feed you a lot! I loved the food too.

As for activities around the ship-I felt that there was always something to do! and at times there was more than one thing that I wanted to do at a certain time. Our cruise director and assistant cruise director were great though and I laughed throughout my entire cruise. I'm sorry you did not have a great time, maybe you should try another line then.[/quote]

What a great attitude Aly! Wish more people had that attitude when cruising!
I always tell people "you have to WORK to make me mad when I'm on a cruise!"

[quote name='Julia Goolia']I'm quite amazed. I got on as you were getting off and we enjoyed exactly the opposite of your experience (as two others who were on my same cruise have already posted about.) We sailed the 5th -11th and had a fantastic cruise, including delicious and even at times amazing food...and that's the opinion of a return cruiser as well. Sorry you (and over 200 others) were so disappointed.

As for most of the Lido closing at 2:30 after lunch, that shouldn't have been a surprise. It was listed as such in the fun times. You can't honestly expect them to keep all of that food out there, fresh and hot ALL day. That would be quite unreasonable. I think that their hours of operation are more than sufficient and if I don't like those hours, I choose another venue (deli, pizza, room service, etc.) to eat.

Hey -- maybe I should thank you and the over 200 others. Maybe your complaints caused the whole staff to do a 180 so we could have such a great cruise! :cool:

Sorry to hear that you experienced a medical situation while on board. I hope that you were treated well and are healing/healed quickly.

Take care,[/quote]

thanks for you report..we are sailing Oct 31 and cant wait.

My two cents are:
1. I will concede that I find night three I believe of the menus is not my favorite - that said - I can always order three starters and a dessert and be just happy.
2. Why is it any surprise that lunch ends at 2:30? They do that on ANY cruise line! At least on Carnival you can find Burgers and Hotdogs until 4:00 (I believe) and then the previous mentioned sandwich. AND the ice cream. I caught my son at 10:00 at night making shakes (Hot chocolate mixed with Ice cream) on the Lido when he was suppose to be in Circle C. -- On NCL in the afternoon is the only cruise I was hungry in the afternoon. --- on Carnival they have High Tea and FREE sushi!
(On NCL you have to pay for it) On the Dream they served different things also each evening/happy hour (Tapas, Chips & Salsa) to go with drink special.
3. Activities seem to vary by ship - and that's because of the CD. We had a great time on the Fantasy. Lots of activities. DIdn't like the Sensation because it lacked activities. The Dream had so many, I was overbooked.

[quote name='madgally']No I didn't start the petition I met a man in the hot tub who did. When he saw me again he had 200++ signatures and I signed it. I was sick it wouldn't of been fair.[/QUOTE]

that in itself just sounds really bad :eek:

Madgally if you mean me John I haven't decided about this summer but it won't be Carnival as I want to go out of NYC and I have been on the Miracle already. I really want to go back to the better lines. I might even take the kids on a crossing and do only one vacation this summer. If I take a cruise this summer I'm going to try one a line I never took before - Holland American - owned by the same corp. as Carnival.

My wife and I are Platinum level cruisers are Carnival. We recently completed an 8 day cruise on the MS Carnival Freedom. While we generally had a good time we do feel that the quality of Carnival has declined. We had "anytime" dining and it was very hit or miss with the waiters. At times it seemed that they just went through the motions. In addition on the Lido deck the level of service was not what it used to be. On one occasion they ran out of food on one of the buffet lines and the staff seemed to be confused as to what to do (get more food!!!) and it required the intervention of a senior staff member to finally have the buffet line resupplied.

Please note that we are not picky and we do like Carnival. However Carnival, as well as many of the other cruise lines must decide if quantity if better than quality. If the desire to have rock bottom prices result in a product that many individuals will decline to use in the future.

Carnival had to work hard to change their reputation from a "party boat" to a quality product. We would hate to see Carnival go back to the "old" ways

Hmmmmm, They aren't a Ruth Chris or a 5 Star Restaurant, but their food I had on the Legend in the MDR was comparable to finer restuarants I have been in. Maybe the people who feel the clientale on the ship is a bunch of bums should have eaten at the steak house every nite. From your snotty comments seems like you should be able to afford it. Now I see why the US has a obesity problem, people have to eat something every hour of the day and it MUST BE PERFECT! Geez!

]

I didn't get a credit due to the quality of the food, or anything I might have disliked onboard. Something happened on board that I will not discuss here but in my opinion it could of happened anywhere and was not Carnival's fault.

I think their medical center is well stocked and the doctor onboard who saw both myself (i was sick for the bulk of the trip) and my daughter (for another issue) was great. The prices were reasonable and my insurance even reimbused me because it was an emergency. $90 for doctor and $40 for a nurses visit plus supplies.

Archived