Up-Sell Fairy...

Matt&Courtney<3

Does she always call? How close to the sail date does she usually call? Im sailing on the Splendor ship next weeked with an inside cabin :o & it's our wedding/honeymoon, so Im hoping for a great upgrade deal to come our way!! Can I call & see if there are any deals to upgrade? Even just a balcony or a window room would be great! This is our first cruise, so I'm not too sure how it works. Just positive thinking by the way... ;)

ALWAYS never applies to anything about Carnival .... they cant even follow their own rules always.

No one seems to know the percentage of cruises that they call on.. 30% higher?? lower??

If you call them and no deals, they will just try and sell you a full price upgrade you can get from anyone. You cant call. If they have them, chances of getting called for a cruise next weekend are probably getting smaller by the day unfortunately. Check yourself and see if there are a lot of unsold balconies ....check your roll call, if they are getting calls, they most likely would post it to the roll call and folks chat on the roll calls. Thats how I always know when there are upsell calls going on.

Iv never yet been called by the upsell fairy ... so the percentage might be even lower than I put, that was probably overly optimistic ... and even if they call, half the time the amounts to upgrade are no greaat deal.

I just got back from a cruise on Splendor that I had booked for 6 months, and I never got a call. We already had a balcony cabin though.

On my last cruise (5 years ago) the TA booked us in the top category Ocean View on Paradise. It was so cool because he said he got a guarantee, but he knew that the category was already booked so we would likely be upgraded. When we got there, they gave us VIP check in and we ended up in what that ship now calls a "Penthouse Suite" U111 on the Paradise. Nice room. Kind of spoiled us.

When I booked this last trip I asked him about that (same guy) he said they don't really do that anymore. Bummer.

Hahahahaha' date=' I love that! Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just cross my fingers, or maybe fork out the cash to upgrade. When I first booked everyone I knew said "You'll hardly be in the room at all, it's not worth it" but after obsessing, I'm starting to think I want more!!! :D:D:D[/quote']

If you can swing it monetarily, do it. It is a special occasion - see if you can upgrade. Plus you can join the balcony club ;) or the window sill club (think Mile High Club) depending on your room, right on your first cruise. If you do, don't forget to tell your cabin attendant, they will bring you a Certificate. :)

We have 3 cabins booked for our family cruise.....

..... 3 weeks ago we got an upsell email for our cruise on Sept 24th. We booked 3 rooms Interior Riviera deck on the Early Saver and for $50 per CABIN they moved us to Empress Oceanview. What a deal! We moved all 3 cabins immediately! :D ... And they are side by side!

I would check a see what it looks like for your cruise on balcony cabins being available & maybe go from there? You could always call & find out too what might be available. Good luck & Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

If you can swing it monetarily, do it. It is a special occasion - see if you can upgrade. Plus you can join the balcony club ;) or the window sill club (think Mile High Club) depending on your room, right on your first cruise. If you do, don't forget to tell your cabin attendant, they will bring you a Certificate. :)

OMGosh, a certificate? Really? LOL

This is probably a lame question, especially since I have cruised several times, but what is a "roll call"? Thanks for the help!

On CC there is a section that lists all the lines then all the ships. Inside there people start threads of each sailing date and people on that cruise share info, say hello, get to know one another, and sometimes plan onboard meet n greets. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Does she always call? How close to the sail date does she usually call? Im sailing on the Splendor ship next weeked with an inside cabin :o & it's our wedding/honeymoon' date=' so Im hoping for a great upgrade deal to come our way!! Can I call & see if there are any deals to upgrade? Even just a balcony or a window room would be great! This is our first cruise, so I'm not too sure how it works. Just positive thinking by the way... ;)[/quote']

I can only give you MY opinion, ok?

I am Platinum with CCL with 18 cruises under my belt. Out of all of these cruises, we were offered an upgrade only one time, and it would have cost over $400 to upgrade from an OV to a Balcony....no deal.

I don't know how they decide, but I can tell you that Caranival doesn't recognize past guests or their loyalty when it comes to upgrades. We've NEVER been offered a freebie. Sometimes I think they're more apt to upgrade a newbie so they'll get hooked into thinking it will happen every time.

Remember....just my opinion.:(

ALWAYS never applies to anything about Carnival .... they cant even follow their own rules always.

No one seems to know the percentage of cruises that they call on.. 30% higher?? lower??

If you call them and no deals, they will just try and sell you a full price upgrade you can get from anyone. You cant call. If they have them, chances of getting called for a cruise next weekend are probably getting smaller by the day unfortunately. Check yourself and see if there are a lot of unsold balconies ....check your roll call, if they are getting calls, they most likely would post it to the roll call and folks chat on the roll calls. Thats how I always know when there are upsell calls going on.

Iv never yet been called by the upsell fairy ... so the percentage might be even lower than I put, that was probably overly optimistic ... and even if they call, half the time the amounts to upgrade are no greaat deal.

AMEN! I've done my last CCL cruise because they don't recognize loyalty.

I can only give you MY opinion, ok?

I am Platinum with CCL with 18 cruises under my belt. Out of all of these cruises, we were offered an upgrade only one time, and it would have cost over $400 to upgrade from an OV to a Balcony....no deal.

I don't know how they decide, but I can tell you that Caranival doesn't recognize past guests or their loyalty when it comes to upgrades. We've NEVER been offered a freebie. Sometimes I think they're more apt to upgrade a newbie so they'll get hooked into thinking it will happen every time.

Remember....just my opinion.:(

You may be right. We gota free upgrade from a balcony to suite years ago....must have been our 2nd or 3rd cruise. Since then, nada (except the 'you wanna upgrade for the same price it would have originally cost?' call)

Archived