what do you think the next generation NCL ships should have?

steviek49

I hope they keep the best of the EPIC, which in my opinion is....

1. Smaller venues. I liked the comfy cozy small venues on EPIC like the Jazz Club, Headliners etc. It gave the ship an uncrowded feel.

2. Super selection of dining. I loved Moderno and vote for that to be on every NCL ship, especially these new ones. NCL excels in specialty dining and they truly need to keep that up!

3. Bliss UltraLounge. Awesome venue on many NCL ships and I hope they keep this up as well. A total NYC/Miami nightclub vibe.

4. Good DJ's! This is something I really liked on the EPIC and had never seen on any other ship. Bringing in great DJ's on a rotation rather than one dude with a limited library of music.

5. Spice H20. Or something similar. Maybe they have learned a thing or two from EPIC and can improve on the idea. I think that there is great potential with this area.... and keep it adults only!!

6. Plenty of deck space! And the Freestyle sundeck.

7. All outsides have a balcony.

8. At least one full size Garden Villa, missing on EPIC

9. Bowling. Such fun for an afternoon. Liked that EPIC had more than one venue to bowl.

10. 24 hour pub! (OK, we know it is only 23 hours, but whatever)

~Intrepid <-- thats all for now.

I hope they keep the best of the EPIC, which in my opinion is....

1. Smaller venues. I liked the comfy cozy small venues on EPIC like the Jazz Club, Headliners etc. It gave the ship an uncrowded feel.

2. Super selection of dining. I loved Moderno and vote for that to be on every NCL ship, especially these new ones. NCL excels in specialty dining and they truly need to keep that up!

3. Bliss UltraLounge. Awesome venue on many NCL ships and I hope they keep this up as well. A total NYC/Miami nightclub vibe.

4. Good DJ's! This is something I really liked on the EPIC and had never seen on any other ship. Bringing in great DJ's on a rotation rather than one dude with a limited library of music.

5. Spice H20. Or something similar. Maybe they have learned a thing or two from EPIC and can improve on the idea. I think that there is great potential with this area.... and keep it adults only!!

6. Plenty of deck space! And the Freestyle sundeck.

7. All outsides have a balcony.

8. At least one full size Garden Villa, missing on EPIC

9. Bowling. Such fun for an afternoon. Liked that EPIC had more than one venue to bowl.

10. 24 hour pub! (OK, we know it is only 23 hours, but whatever)

~Intrepid <-- thats all for now.

Excellent list add a retrackable cover for a pool and bring it to NYC year round and you have a plan. :)

This is already happening with your room key on the EPIC, I think.

RE:SEARCHABLE photos on touch screen.

This is only true if you were not in a suite - the VIP embarkation process whisks you past the photographers (that were only getting set up) and therefore, you bypass the 'registration process' with your key card. (and no boarding photo - apparently a 'perk' for suite guests)

We had to have the photo mgr hunt for our photos (as the photos in our specific cabin folder were not us!?).

Not on NCL ----- I hope !!!!!:eek:

Why not??? That would really encompass freestyle since those who do happen to like traditional would be able to CHOOSE it. After all this is what NCL says: "Freestyle Cruising is all about giving you the flexibility and freedom of choice to create your own style of vacation........ it's your vacation, so make sure it's exactly what you've been dreaming about."):);)

Why not??? That would really encompass freestyle since those who do happen to like traditional would be able to CHOOSE it. After all this is what NCL says: "Freestyle Cruising is all about giving you the flexibility and freedom of choice to create your own style of vacation........ it's your vacation, so make sure it's exactly what you've been dreaming about."):);)

Next would come the dress code, then all the bickering. Leave it as is.

Move all smoking areas, including cabins to just one section of the ship or make it non-smoking. We had a balcony for a B2B on Epic. The first week was great. The second week was marred by a smoker somewhere near whose smoke came in our cabin every time we opened the balcony door to enjoy the sea. If I wanted to stay in a closed up room I could save a lot of money by going Interior...

I also would like a small theater for movies, or perhaps they could have a roll down screen in the main show theatre for movies to be shown...

BTW, Epic did have the searchable photo kiosks and a cigar room. Expanding on that, how about an enclosed cigarette bar for smokers to asphyxiate each other?

norwegiannewbuildx-large.jpg

Is it me or do u get a sense of daja-vo?

solstice1.jpg

I see about as much similarity between the new NCL class ships with the Celebrity Solstice class as I do between the NCL Star/Jewel class ships with the Royal Caribbean Radiance class.

Norwegian-Jewel-at-Sea.jpg

RCI_Radiance_ExteriorSide.jpg

List of cruise ships built by Meyerwerft

2011 Disney Dream (128,000 GT, Under Construction, The largest ship & most expensive to be built at the shipyard, with a price around $1 Billion)

2010 Celebrity Eclipse (122,000 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

2010 AIDAblu (71,300 GT, AIDA Cruises)

2009 Celebrity Equinox (122,000 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

2009 AIDAluna (69,200 GT, AIDA Cruises)

2008 Celebrity Solstice (122,000 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

2008 AIDAbella (68,500 GT, AIDA Cruises)

2007 Norwegian Gem (93,500 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

2007 AIDAdiva (68,500 GT, AIDA Cruises)

2006 Norwegian Pearl (93,500 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

2006 Pride of Hawaii (93,500 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line), renamed Norwegian Jade

2005 Norwegian Jewel (92,000 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

2004 Jewel of the Seas (90,090 GT, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines)

2003 Serenade of the Seas (90,090 GT, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines)

2002 Brilliance of the Seas (90,090 GT, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines)

2002 Norwegian Dawn (91,740 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

2001 Radiance of the Seas (90,090 GT, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines)

2001 Norwegian Star (91,740 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

2000 Aurora ( 76,000 GT, P&O Cruises)

1999 SuperStar Virgo (76,800 GT, Star Cruises)

1998 SuperStar Leo, renamed Norwegian Spirit (76,800 GT, Norwegian Cruise Line)

1997 Celebrity Mercury (77,713 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

1996 Celebrity Galaxy (77,713 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

1995 Celebrity Century (70,606 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

1995 MV Oriana (69,153 GT, P&O Cruises)

1992 Zenith (47,255 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

1990 Horizon (46,811 GT, Celebrity Cruises)

1988 Crown Odyssey (34,242 GT, Royal Cruise Lines) later Orient Lines, renamed Norwegian Crown (Norwegian Cruise Line), now Balmoral (Fred Olsen Cruise Line)

1985 Homeric (42,092 BRT, Home Line) remoldeled and renamed to Westerdam (53.872 GT, Holland America Line) in 1990, then renamed Costa Europa (Costa Crociere)

1913 Graf Goetzen, today MV Liemba, still running. Most probably the second oldest passenger ship still in service (oldest probably Gisela, a paddle steamer on Traunsee, Austria.

New cruise ships on order with Meyerwerft

AIDAsol (71,000) April 9, 2011 Fifth in Project Sphinx series

Celebrity Silhouette (122,000) Summer 2011 Fourth Solstice-class ship from Celebrity

Disney Fantasy (128,000) April 7, 2012 Steel has been cut on second Disney new-build

AIDA??? (71,000) May 12, 2012 Sixth in Project Sphinx series

Celebrity Reflection (122,000) November 2012 The fifth Solstice-class ship from Celebrity

AIDA??? (71,000) Spring 2013 Seventh in Project Sphinx series

NCL#1 (143,500) April 2013 First in new Freestyle design

NCL#2 (143,500) April 2014 Second in new Freestyle design

I was just reading the cruise ships news and saw where there are rumors that NCL may be ordering 2 new ships. Whether these rumors are true or not, I believe it is safe to say that NCL will be building more ships in the future.

I was wondering how my fellow NCL cruisers

feel about today's ships (Sun class, Dawn class, Jewel class and Epic) and what they would like to see added or subtracted to the next ship class.

I, for one, miss the soaring atrium lobbies with glass lifts. I would also bring back the "real cinemas" that alot of the older ships used to have. I believe there needs to be more swimming pools since I don't feel Sun,Dawn and Jewel class ships have enough space allotted for swimming pools and bring back passenger laundry facilities. I would also add at least one indoor pool or magradome roof for a pool.Btw - I do understand that these additions take up alot of space and generate little money.

I would get rid of the 2 story wii screens in the lobby, sinks in the bedroom on Epic and the bowling alleys.

These are just my opinions and wishes.

What are yours?

Number One--O'Sheehan's Pub !! With same menu as on Epic. Loved it. Really miss a pub on ships without them--and Bar Central is no substitute.

Eliminate those dreadful big Atrium screens, and have the type of atrium with the height and the glass elevators. Make a place for it if things must be sold in the Atrium--really awful the way it is now.

Eliminate Bar Central.

We agree with the idea of one formal restaurant. If it does not work out, can always go back to Freestyle.

Don't change a thing about the great officers and crew !!

Read that NCL is going public--perks for stockholders.

Don't forget to put magnifying mirrors over the sink--amazed none on Epic.

Have traditional bath set-up.

Better cabin lighting.

Get rid of the art auctions!!

I would also like to see the return of the full wrap around promenade deck. An extra adult only pool without the ear piercing music and a larger seating area in the buffet restaurant. Also I would like to see smaller, more intimate piano bar type spaces where one could enjoy after dinner drinks but not be in the central walking area. Oh to dream.

I'd like to see an Adults Only pool area on the opposite end of the ship from the Family/Kids Pool. In past years I was annoyed by children at the pool, this year it was the bad behaving adults I'd have liked to have an escape from.

I'd like to see an Adults Only pool area on the opposite end of the ship from the Family/Kids Pool. In past years I was annoyed by children at the pool, this year it was the bad behaving adults I'd have liked to have an escape from.

But won't the bad behaving adults be in the Adults Only pool area?:p:D

Here are a few suggestions (some fanciful, some pretty easy) for next generation ships...

1. non-smoking---smoking in public areas in U.S. is now so restricted that it is jarring to walk into a smoke-infused environment. Perhaps this is not true in other countries, I really don't know. Regardless, smoking should be FAR more restricted on NCL ships than it is.

2. fixed dining---as others have stated, a dining venue that is dedicated to the "tradional" fixed time concept would actually add to rather, than detract from, Freestyle.

3. chair hogs---actually monitor the pool areas and take action to control chair hogs. Yes, I understand that staff do not want to confront guests, but passengers should not be put in position of having to police this stuff.

4. promenade deck---put me down as favoring a legit promenade deck.

5. Behind the scenes tour---I know there is such a tour now, but does it really have to cost soooo much? Yes, the market seems to bear the high price, but I wonder if twice the volume would be generated at 1/2 the cost.

Here are a few meatier possibilities:

1. more cheap options---I understand the trend toward all-balcony ships and don't wish to deprive anyone of the highest levels of luxury, but don't eliminate the cheap cabins. Studio cabins on Epic are a great new option for singles, but they are not cheap. Do NOT eliminate the plain vanilla, inside cabin option.

2. more family options---I would like more options for 4 pax. Also, more rooms that could be combined (connecting interior doors and balconys).

3 ship board e-mail---I recognize that internet time is expensive, but why would it be so difficult to have a network dedicated to ship board communications. Have kiosks throughout the ship. Allow guests to send/receive messages. This would greatly assist in keeping track of friends/family.

4 electronic books---the "romance" of a ship's library strikes me as overstated. The selection of books is very limited. Obtaining current newspapers and periodicals is not practical at sea. Replace this with a supply of Kindles, iPads, or other e-readers. Suddenly, it is possible to read the most current bestsellers, not to mention magazines, newspapers, etc. Yes, a security deposit would be a MUST. Yes, a fee would be charged for the equipment and access to particular materials. Yes, there would probably be other problems. Still, it could work.

Ready for some CRAZIER ideas?

1. hot air balloon---tether a hot air balloon to a top deck and offer "rides" while in port. Views of most ports would be spectacular from 500' (1000' would be even better!). Charge a fee like any other excursion...could be a new revenue center.

2. blimp---have a small (10 pax?) blimp that could give one-of-a-kind aerial views. This one might work better if land based, i.e., Great Stirrup Cay (or other private islands). Again, charge like any other excursion.

3. curling---c'mon admit it. You were fascinated by curling at the Olympics, weren't you! If there can be ice rinks and such on ships, surely there can be curling sheets. I can go bowling in my hometown, but I can't go curling. I would love to try it...would even pay a fee.

4. roller disco---an old fashioned roller rink at sea. Lots of fun for all (even non-skaters). This could be a great theme night.

5. submersible pod---here I go again with the crazy excursion ideas...have a submersible pod that could be lowered like a life boat. Take a dozen or so people below the surface for an up close and personal view of the ocean. This could be neat during "sea" days!

6. Zip lines---forget the wimpy 100' line across a courtyard like on Oasis. How about a line extending from upper deck of ship to a tender/life boat sitting several hundred feet to the stern? Once again, there would be logistical matters to resolve, but what a cool ride it would be!

OK I've tossed my ideas against the wall to see what sticks. Comments?

• A flat and level promenade deck, one without stairs or ramps or too may obstructions. We love to walk the entire promenade several times per day.
  • More "Adult's Only" facilities (restaurants, pools, hot tubs, lounging areas.) We raised our kids, and would like a moment (or two) without being surrounded by those of others!
  • Faster internet with wider WiFi coverage! We only use it 10-20 minutes a day, and for the price we pay, it is way too slow (and expensive!)
  • Indoor bars where smoking is allowed. (It's nice of you anti smokers to demand that the other 25% of us sit out in the rain and cold!)
  • A lane to travel where "pictures" are not required. We're not buying your pictures, and hate having to stand in line while you take one anyway!
  • More cabins that are "adjoining".
  • (as said before) Electrical outlets at the head of each bed!
  • A way to avoid the floating "Flea Markets". If I want to buy junk, I'll do it ashore!
  • A better selection for room service, even if it costs more! (Easy, two menus, one free, one with additonal charges!)

5. Behind the scenes tour---I know there is such a tour now, but does it really have to cost soooo much? Yes, the market seems to bear the high price, but I wonder if twice the volume would be generated at 1/2 the cost. That would mean that they'd do twice the work, for exactly the same revenue. Hmmm...

3 ship board e-mail---I recognize that internet time is expensive, but why would it be so difficult to have a network dedicated to ship board communications. Have kiosks throughout the ship. Allow guests to send/receive messages. This would greatly assist in keeping track of friends/family. The internet cafe can serve this purpose right now. Also wifi throughout the ship enables you to bring your own computer, OR to use theirs.

4 electronic books---the "romance" of a ship's library strikes me as overstated. The selection of books is very limited. Obtaining current newspapers and periodicals is not practical at sea. On Princess they printed out the national newspapers of several countries. You can also see online sites. There's continual satellite-streamed news channels so I'm not sure why obtaining the newspaper wouldn't be practical?

Replace this with a supply of Kindles, iPads, or other e-readers.

I love this idea. They could rent these for $5 / day. If the kindle costs $150 and 30 books cost another $300 then they have $450 invested and could recoup their investment with only 90 rental-days per unit. After that, it's all gravy.

Suddenly, it is possible to read the most current bestsellers, not to mention magazines, newspapers, etc.

The internet cafe allows this today. You can login and visit the website of your favorite news provider.

Yes, a security deposit would be a MUST. Yes, a fee would be charged for the equipment and access to particular materials. Yes, there would probably be other problems. Still, it could work.

Going to respond to your 'reasonable' :) suggestions, because some of them exist and you might not realize it.

See above in red.

The Jewel is the change for the year or for a while :D but I would like to see the Jade, she has nice looking hull art

This probably will never happen, someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there some stipulation in the special legislation that allowed the foreign built Pride of Hawaii (aka Norwegian Jade) to file under American registry and fly the American flag that in the situation that she be withdrew from Hawaiian service and her flag changed that she cannot sail from American ports or risk losing that special registry so she couldn't sail Hawaii ever again, should the need arise?

(Which is why she has been based in Europe since she became Norwegian Jade and has never left.)

Archived